Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@mikeiow in theory it wouldn't be much different to something like JustPark, the main difference would be the entire app would be focused on just EV charging. In the future, I would anticipate doing more than just advertising pre-existing chargepoints but instead proactively installing them at homes/businesses where there is a demand and a strong ROI.

Again, if other apps add this/have added this then it's a good thing, but I also think a focused approach opens up more opportunity to improve on this premise even further. Down the line it wouldn't be entirely crazy to integrate with EV car manufacturers should this kick off as there is a win/win opportunity for them.

As you've mentioned, there's wiggle room into what the business model could look like (charging a flat rate per hour that makes economical sense is probably the most sensible) but I don't want to rule out other approaches either as I continue to learn more.

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
Since EVs started this idea has popped up on this (and previous) forums. It is well meaning, but IMO it isn't really a viable solution for "solving" charging. IIRC there was a couple who setup a UK site for this but I can't find it... (I did find a USA one!)

The main issue is that few people would offer to host because the profit on charging would not sufficiently compensate for the inconvenience (and risk) to the charging host. In almost all cases the reason someone has a charging point is they have an EV. They would need to ensure that the charging point and associated space was available when they wanted/needed it and people charging (and leaving their car) didn't cause difficulties with access (e.g. garage) or manouvering. In addition, there is risk of damage to property, a chance that property insurance would be invalid due to conducting a business and annoying neighbours that strangers keep visiting (Airbnb type complaints).

From a business opportunity it also isn't great as the most likely locations where people might need a slower charge are (ironically) where it less likely that people have charging points or parking - such as city centers. Furthermore, people may want to charge late or early in day which hosts won't accommodate.

The reason JustPark has been reasonably successful is that it targets areas where parking is expensive and hosts have a spare space or two, so the inconvenience is minimal. In addition, with no costs the host can make a modest profit.

There will be some altruistic people who are happy to help fellow EV owners, but if we expect EVs to be mainstream, then parking on a stranger's drive for several hours at 7kW isn't likely to be the charging solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@proddick some great points. I wouldn't consider this solving the entire problem, but alleviating some of the strain. It doesn't hurt to test an idea in a way which is small scale and low-risk whilst addressing concerns (such as the ones you've raised) one by one.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts