Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

Bought the ohme commando charger via octopus for special discount rate of £150, usually £199.

Now before I get the sparky to come and fit it in I know I need a pen fault detector device essentially its another consumer unit.

Whats the cheapest pen fault device going at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Just going to throw this out there - I think my earth rod cost about £60... parts seem to be about £10 from Screwfix, so I guess the rest is labour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just going to throw this out there - I think my earth rod cost about £60... parts seem to be about £10 from Screwfix, so I guess the rest is labour.
This would be the cheapest options but with a fairly new drive and not sure whats underneath it all. Last thing is to make a hole in a drain pipe.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
i'm not sure about cheapest, as i think there are only two options, the Matt:e or the Garo - both are around £120
I have the Garo, it replaced a matt:e.
The latter is very poorly made, surprised it meets safety standards. The one I had fell apart during installation and the cheap contactor was very noisy. Garo has been fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Garo, it replaced a matt:e.
The latter is very poorly made, surprised it meets safety standards. The one I had fell apart during installation and the cheap contactor was very noisy. Garo has been fine
Someone ona Facebook group also said the matt/e is a bit noisy. Will have a look at Garo. Think it's time all chargers come with the pen fault detection technology built in them

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
.. Think it's time all chargers come with the pen fault detection technology built in them
Latest Viridian EPC 2.0 EVSE controllers has this. Can be easily retrofitted to the old dumb Rolecs to make these safer. Here's what I did:Rolec Dumb Charger upgraded with DC Leakage Protection...

This controller can also be used to repair/upgrade broken EVSEs. E.g. there was a Podpoint repair done v recently, broken PCB replaced by Viridian ECU + plus standard Contactor & standard RCD. Pretty-much the same as what's inside a dumb Rolec, and a lot cheaper than getting the OEM pcb replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garo owners: is it noisy? I'm put off by the Matt:e because of reports of humming. Mine will be going under the stairs, so I'd like for it to be as quiet as possible (or if that's not possible, I'm considering getting an earth electrode put in instead).

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Garo owners: is it noisy? I'm put off by the Matt:e because of reports of humming. Mine will be going under the stairs, so I'd like for it to be as quiet as possible (or if that's not possible, I'm considering getting an earth electrode put in instead).
The matt:e is very noisy, I got mine changed foc by EO to the Garo which is very quiet.
Quality a lot better too 😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts