Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got a Penalty Charge Notice last week in Westminster for my Nissan Leaf.

I parked for less than the permitted 4 hour limit and the ticket says "the Enforcement Officer believes that I parked for longer than permitted electronic payment". I have no way of proving what time I arrived/ how long I was there for but then again, neither do they, given the ridiculous system that doesn't allow you to clock in and out as you do when you pay for parking. Any suggestions on how to contest? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
What @Jim says. Worryingly Android or Google track your movements if you ever signed in to them (as you would to use apps etc). The information is quite comprehensive including how long you were there for etc. It gains the info from gps and surrounding wifi. It's also easy to access under "Timeline".

Considering all the fraud surrounding some parking attendants, who can often be under severe targets (or daily allowances or whatever else they call it to avoid the word target), you can no longer really trust their word.

Parking firm is ‘caught doctoring the timestamps on photographs'

Whilst the above is a different company I doubt they were the only ones at this game.

Otherwise, get yourself a dashcam with time stamp.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you have an android phone you could try looking at the Google maps location history to see if it is helpful. I'm not sure what the standard of proof is for an appeal but it may just come down to how persistent you are.
Wow, I knew Google were tracking me as I get the traffic reminders but never saw that in the Maps App...............very interesting and may be of interest to @Jenny Phillips as apart from the actual building, it was very accurate for me.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
They usually just send you a letter and hope you pay up, without bothering to check their CCTV footage to see if you really were parked there longer than the allowed time. They only check when you content the charge. Contesting is usually free so you might as well do it and see what evidence they produce.

Could be something as similar as a different but similar colour car being parked there before/after you. They don't exactly get the best brains in the country to be parking wardens.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I contested a penalty charge a year or two ago on one of these car parks.
It used to have an attendant and for £3 you could park for the evening after 6:00pm.
The last time I used it this was now a pay and display with CCTV which correctly showed me 20 minutes over the three hours it turned out I was now allowed.
I was fuming when the letter arrived requesting £100 or £60 for early payment so I contested it and generated a pile of paperwork showing the prices of local car parks and even found an old council web site with the old rates on it.

They eventually gave in and didn't contest my claim.

The problem is that they are making so much money from those who pay up that they don't usually bother with those who don't.
If you follow the forums, these car park enforcement companies are operating very close to being illegal and even have tame solicitors working for them.
According to published rates by the legal profession, these tame solicitors should charge the companies over £50 for every claim they look at.
You can then see why they wouldn't pursue many people if the judge is one who supports the man in the street.

I would have paid £10 or £15 to save the hassle but £100 is just taking the pi$$ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Google history might help, but of course shows where your phone was, not where your car was. Depending on the resolution/reception and how long it took you to get in and out of your car, the track might not be that accurate.

Either way, if they haven't shown you any proof, ask for it!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Best thing to do is sign up to the PePiPoo forum and post this there. There's a whole host of knowledgeable people there who will help
From one who has been there and done it I guess :p:rolleyes:

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you follow the forums, these car park enforcement companies are operating very close to being illegal and even have tame solicitors working for them.
This is the case, however, don't get a council fine mixed up with an invoice from a private parking company. They are both very different things.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
This is the case, however, don't get a council fine mixed up with an invoice from a private parking company. They are both very different things.
Noted and very true.

One thing I did learn is that the council can legally fine you but these parking enforcement companies can only request a penalty payment.
They are very different hence why I thought that £100 was a lot to pay for 20 minutes overstay.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

I parked for less than the permitted 4 hour limit and the ticket says "the Enforcement Officer believes that I parked for longer than permitted electronic payment". I have no way of proving what time I arrived/ how long I was there for but then again, neither do they, given the ridiculous system that doesn't allow you to clock in and out as you do when you pay for parking. Any suggestions on how to contest? Thanks.
@Jenny Phillips does mention Penalty Charge Notice which sounds like a private company.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts

Go to the website and look up the PCN. There should be a photo on it with evidence of your transgression. If there isn't then they've got nothing on you. If you know that you parked there for less than four hours then I would contest it.

I've successfully contested five PCNs in the past six months: however in my case the tickets were issued because my e-Golf was not recognised as electric.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Only a Local Authority can issue a PCN, which is a fine. Anything else is an invoice. There should be clear and concise guidelines on the LA website regarding how to contest a PCN.

The Supreme Court will very soon decide upon the case of an individual who challenged one of these invoices from a Private Parking Company. The decision is eagerly awaited.

It will, however, have no relevance on the ability of a council to issue a fine.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I thought that had already been decided, did the parking companies appeal or something? Or is my memory faulty (most likely option)?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts