Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions of the mg5 are now some have been on the roads for a few months.

Also I'd be interested to hear real world winter range estimates.

We did a 110mile trip in our Leaf 40 today -3, snow, heating on, four up and only managed about 2.5mil/kWh.

Thanks

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
LEAF 40 is about the same as ZS EV: 110-120 winter & 150-160 summer, give or take a few.

MG5 seems to get 25-30% better than ZS going by facebook group chatter (~150 winter, Miles Roberts and James Coates had early access in tail-end of summer and were getting 190-200)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions of the mg5 are now some have been on the roads for a few months.

Also I'd be interested to hear real world winter range estimates.

We did a 110mile trip in our Leaf 40 today -3, snow, heating on, four up and only managed about 2.5mil/kWh.

Thanks
Getting 170 to 180 in these cold temperatures with heating on. 3.3 miles/kWh

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
23 Posts
If you look at the useable battery capacity the MG5 has 33% more. If you traded off the Leafs more efficient heat pump heating for the MG5 being a newer design / more aerodynamic then you'd get 146 miles versus 110 in the Leaf.

That's close to the WLTP ratios as well, 168 versus 215 = 27% more in the MG5.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll let you know on Monday. We've got a long (work) trip which would have been a nightmare in a Leaf 40, around 400 miles in total. I'm aiming to charge after 150 miles and make use of some of the Instavolt referral credit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
...So, in brief: we drove 408 miles, charged a total of 80.4kWh over three stops and arrived home on 13%. I make that 165 miles of range.

The weather was grotty earlier on driving into a moderate headwind and drizzle at 3 degrees C so I kept a little below 70mph while I got an idea of how the battery was dropping in relation to the miles covered.

We were planning to do a 150 mile first leg, but our bladders only had around 110 miles of range, so we stopped with 33% left and grabbed some lunch. Happily the car charged at around 45kW on the Podpoint rapid at Milton Keynes.

For the rest of the day we allowed ourselves to enjoy the car and drove at the speed limit. I kept it in sport mode because I prefer the feel of the steering and we didn't hold back when it came to accelerating away from the lights. Mrs Petriix might have exceeded 70 for much of the last leg.

I'm fairly sure we could have pushed the range close to 200 miles by driving slower and more carefully, but there was really no need. We stopped when we wanted to break up the journey rather than being limited by the car. In an ICEV we would have stopped at the same times, just for slightly shorter periods.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hmm, only 45kw on the charger...is the MG5 supposed to max out at 50kw?

Sent from my M2002J9E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmm, only 45kw on the charger...is the MG5 supposed to max out at 50kw?

Sent from my M2002J9E using Tapatalk
The MG5 actually peaks at 80kW if your state of charge is low enough, the battery warm enough and the charger fast enough. 50kW is the theoretical maximum from a 50kW charger, but I've never seen higher than 47kW on a Podpoint rapid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts