Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to see if anyone on here owns an i3, and if so, what their opinions are on it.

I've seen some great reviews out there about them (including these two here: BMW i3 review | What Car?, What makes the BMWi3 the best electric car?), and even some people who aren't fans of electric cars seem to be swayed.

I'm really considering one myself, but before I make that decision I just want to get some opinions from owners of them first. Also, I'd appreciate anyone telling me how likely my chances are of actually getting one currently, are they sold out to a certain date?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Have a test drive, they are super cars, delivery of the BEV version has started already, they quoted May delivery for me but this may change, the REX is a cracking car with no danger of being stranded.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I looked on the i3 Forum and it appears that UK deliveries haven't started yet. At best some may have arrived this month.
http://www.bmwi3forum.com
I will be interesting to see how early adopters take to it!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I've yet to drive one but I've only heard positive things from those who have, I know a few people who've been "converted" to EVs because of it (and the REx in particular). I think it looks great (and weird) and offers something really interesting, it's also more affordable than I expected it to be at launch.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=434&start=20Experienced EV drivers appear to be struggling to get 100km / 62 miles out of a full charge. That's not good enough for a £30k car.
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh and a few inroads. The power used was 197wh on average. The temp today was 13 degrees Celsius, no hard wind or rain, little usage of hvac and seat heaters. My wife has serious doubts and actually wants the Rex version. Because they could not be delivered this year we went for BEV, the dealer said: Rex is for pussies. Well, this kitty wants a Rex. So we have some serious talking to do in the coming days at the BMW dealer (Ekris in Utrecht). We want to exchange it and only pay the difference if the Rex, no depreciation on the BEV.

I will keep you posted.
...and before anyone starts, I'm not beemer bashing here. It's a great bit of engineering, with a lot of potential. I'm just disappointed they couldn't / didn't do something decent with the battery size & styling.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I had a drive of one on Friday and loved it. I was able to empty the battery quite quickly with some spirited driving, but it was spirited indeed because I needed to get it low. I then kicked the REx in and it was silent and powerful. Overall the refinement and drivability of the thing are very impressive.

As for customer deliveries - the white one we saw in Fife was the customer on his way home from picking it up at the dealer.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I've seen and heard from BMW a fair bit of opinion with regard to NCAP and US crash testing methodology vs "real world" safety (to the effect that the tests are limited and their cars are not always mere box tickers). I'll imagine much the same argument could and will be applied here. I'd trust a BMW over many others to keep the occupant safety, not least due to incidents I've been in and (much worse) I've seen others involved in.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I trust Volvo and Renault, I trust ncap about 3 years ago some one hit me dead on as they were over taking, we was both doing about 60mph and the Renault mégane got smashed to bits but in side i was just fine, The guy in the Mini Cooper (classic) was all most killed the fire brigade had to cut him out.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
The information that I have seen say's the main problem is pedestrian safety not passanger safety, even so it is still a 4 star car so can hardly be clasified as dangerous.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I trust Volvo and Renault, I trust ncap about 3 years ago some one hit me dead on as they were over taking, we was both doing about 60mph and the Renault mégane got smashed to bits but in side i was just fine, The guy in the Mini Cooper (classic) was all most killed the fire brigade had to cut him out.
Off topic, but I have he dubious honour of writing off a Range Rover in a Rover Mini years ago (head on) and walked away. The Mini was bananad though.

I can see how the i3 wouldn't fair so well in terms of pedestrian safety, the regs are getting hard, not that that's a bad thing, things are much safer than they were only a few years back.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The only thing I don't like about is the i3 is the ncap Crash results.
This article explains a bit more about it

http://www.carsafetyrules.com/bmw-i3-four-star-safety-rating/1127/

There was a guy on the i3 forum ranting about how unsafe it was and that he'd never buy one for his family. Someone then pointed out that the requirements for the NCAP ratings are increased every year and that the guy complaining was driving an X3 which effectively had a lower crash safety rating than the i3 :)

Having said that, I agree that it was a surprise that it didn't get 5 stars especially as BMW are trying to convince people about the advantages of CFRP.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
its seems most modern cars are designed to explode on impact, by sacrificing themselves to save the passengers, I have seen wrecks that only a few years ago would be fatal where people emerged unscathed. Its testament to new materials and design, however it does make it almost impossible to put the car back together again

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just want to see if anyone on here owns an i3, and if so, what their opinions are on it.

I've seen some great reviews out there about them (including these two here: BMW i3 review | What Car?, What makes the BMWi3 the best electric car?), and even some people who aren't fans of electric cars seem to be swayed.

I'm really considering one myself, but before I make that decision I just want to get some opinions from owners of them first. Also, I'd appreciate anyone telling me how likely my chances are of actually getting one currently, are they sold out to a certain date?
Hi Mike,

Like knoxie says, the first deliveries in the UK have just started for the BEV version with the first REx's expected to arrive towards the end of February. The current waiting list seems to be about 5 months and although you might expect that wait to reduce now that the Euro order books have been open for several months the US order books are just opening this month so maybe not ?

I'd really recommend going for a test drive. There are quite a lot of negative comments about the car online regarding styling, cost, range etc but I don't think I've seen anyone complain about how it drives. It really is very convincing once you've experienced it from the drivers seat.

Some people have been put off by the interior because BMW have used a kenaf fibre material for the door panels and forward dash so it doesn't look as luxurious as you might expect. Personally, I'm ok with that because it's inline with the lightweight design ethos and I think the rest of the minamalist interior is great, especially if you spec the large pro-nav screen.

The BEV i3 carbon fibre construction means that it's 300kg lighter than the LEAF/Zoe and BMW have used that weight saving to improve the dynamics (it's effectively double the power to weight ratio). I've seen it argued that they should have used the weight saving to increase battery size and therefore give a range advantage. It all depends on how important these things are to you as to which is the best choice. I can easily see why the LEAF and Zoe appeal to a lot of people.

If your driving occasionally takes you further than the battery range then the REx offers a solution which is pretty convenient and which isn't available in the LEAF/Zoe but there are obviously numerous compromises to having an ICE engine in the back. The Ampera is in the mix here too but one important advantage i3 had over the Ampera for me was that I can do my commute fully using battery whereas I couldn't with the Ampera.

It's a complicated process trying to decide which EV is best for your own circumstances. There is so much to consider but I think BMW have designed the i3 to offer enough advantages to justify the increased price over the competition and for me it was the first car that made me want to buy an EV which says quite a lot !

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There was a guy on the i3 forum ranting about how unsafe it was and that he'd never buy one for his family. Someone then pointed out that the requirements for the NCAP ratings are increased every year and that the guy complaining was driving an X3 which effectively had a lower crash safety rating than the i3 :)
That same guy is probably afraid to drive his X3 through a muddy puddle.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I know all you guys are saying all the the tests are getting harder but at the same time the cars should be getting better, and in my opinion and I mean only my opinion a car with a almost 0% predestrian safety rating is a massive fail in my books. As safety should be very important in new car designs, like god forbid you hit a kid or anyone for that matter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know all you guys are saying all the the tests are getting harder but at the same time the cars should be getting better, and in my opinion and I mean only my opinion a car with a almost 0% predestrian safety rating is a massive fail in my books. As safety should be very important in new car designs, like god forbid you hit a kid or anyone for that matter.
Yes, but also remember that the NCAP tests don't take everything into account. I actually consider my i3 to be the safest car I've ever owned with regards to pedestrian safety. That's because it's the first car I've owned with a system that "pro-actively engages braking automatically for rapid reaction to potential collisions with humans and cyclists in urban driving situations up to 35 mph.".

If I was a pedestrian I would much rather have a city full of NCAP 4 star cars with systems like that than 5 star cars without.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts