Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my price is 13p day and night. There is no point going economy 7 as most of my electric cost is in the day.
My car has a 22kw battery 0.13p x22kw =£2.86 to charge, if I were to charge from dead every day it's £2.86 x30 which is approximately £85.80. I don't really charge from home but when I was it was from roughly 50%, That's £42 a month.
When I was with BG I was on 23p day and 6p night time and it was killing me on price. How much do you think I would save with solar panels?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The solar panel I'm having installed will take about 10 years to break even on.
NB This is what I did:
1) Get in contact with solar installation firm
2) They do a free "internet survey", so look at your house from google maps, and have a bit of a guess as to how many panels you can get on / what your options are.
3) Give you a pdf of the various estimated costs / how much electricity they think it will make, etc.
Now all of that was free.
I then decided to go ahead with it, and a proper survey guy came around (I think again that was free).
I then went with the best electricity making option I had. It's going to be well worth it I think...

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
So I would charge during the day it it would bring my bills down even more
Here's what happened with my Solar PV today...

We generated just under 35kWh in total between 6:30am and 8:00pm.

We exceeded 6A (the minimum charging level defined by the IEC standards) between 8am and 6pm, producing ~30kWh which could have been used to easily charge the ZOE from empty to full :)

Realistically, you'd probably want to use the middle part of the day to avoid the ZOEs low current charging efficiency issues (fixed in the next version of the car AFAIK).

I would expect the output to exceed this level for much of the next six months so making a major contribution to your driving if your car is plugged in at home during the middle of the day.

My 7kWp system cost £16K in 2012, and had dropped to £12K a year later. I'll be interested to see how far its dropped this year (£10K maybe?).

The solar installers on the forum can talk about current FIT income but IMO solar is just a no brainer for anyone remotely interested in survival of the species :(

@GBEV made an interesting comment yesterday when he hypothesised that panels are now so cheap on ebay that you could install them yourself for a fraction of the cost of a MSC installer and still make money (you would not qualify for FIT payments if you DIY).

IMG_3678_Low_Res.JPG

·
Registered
193 Posts
We installed a 4kw system in May 2012 costing £10,500 and so far it's saving/earning around £800 per year with the FIT and reduction in grid usage. We could get more out of it if my wife would stop using the flippin drier so much!!.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A 4kWp system should cost about £5000-7000 today. A lot less than 3 years ago when we installed our solar. However, the FIT has dropped and so the payback period has remained similar at about 8-10 years.

I have not found charging the EV in the day using solar directly very successful except when it is unbroken sun. With clouds the solar generation goes up and down and so we often end up paying more than if we had charged overnight on Econ7.

If you don't have econ7 or dual rate tariff then it could save you a fair bit I am sure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A 4kWp system should cost about £5000-7000 today. A lot less than 3 years ago when we installed our solar. However, the FIT has dropped and so the payback period has remained similar at about 8-10 years.
We paid £5k for our 4kWp system back in Feb 14. Generated 18kw yesterday. Expected payback is around 7 yrs on a FIT rate of about 17p.

Amazing how the industry dropped their prices when the subsidy has been declining. Wonder what would happen if they got rid of the £5k grant on EVs...

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
With clouds the solar generation goes up and down and so we often end up paying more than if we had charged overnight on Econ7.
Ideally we need the solar inverters and EVSE communicating so that the car charging rate tracks the solar output. We have many of the pieces today and I've been working on a Open Energy Monitor project to demonstrate this in use.

That said, I know that @RickMGoldie just manually selects the relevant charge rate using his DIY EVSE :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wonder what would happen if they got rid of the £5k grant on EVs...
Leaf depreciation probably wouldn't be as bad!

Anyone know roughly how long panels can last for? Design life of 10 years? Do they reduce in efficiency or does a whole panel simply fail outright.

I didn't go with solar last year as the car isn't home during the day so we wouldn't use much of what was generated which lowered the ROI. Unless someone knows a scheme where they pay for net production/consumption rather than the fit/export tariff. I would have thought the grid would benefit more from production panel-to-grid during the day and consumption from grid-to leaf at night but unless my understanding was off this is reflected in the current fit scheme.

Basically if I could sell everything I produced during the day at 20p and then buy back from the grid at 7p overnight it would be win-win. Can smart meters enable this?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
What we use in the day probably amounts to not much more than £100 per year so it really doesn't make much difference to ROI if you are out at work. The big return is the FIT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Leaf depreciation probably wouldn't be as bad!

Anyone know roughly how long panels can last for? Design life of 10 years? Do they reduce in efficiency or does a whole panel simply fail outright.
I was told that the panels I was getting would outlast me. There would be reduction in output over time, but not by much (I can't remember the exact figure). However the inverter should need replacing after about 10-12 years, for a few hundred.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts