Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of videos of the e-niro with wheel spin on launching, and I've experienced it in the kona. How is the grip in the wet? Can you accelerate quickly without wheel spin in both dry and wet conditions?

Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've accidentally done wheel spins in dry conditions. Learning to be a little less urgent on the accelerator. Not driven it in wet conditions but already thinking I need to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
I'm not sure why, but I haven't spun the wheels once! Am I getting too old?!?!:geek:

Reactions: finchlean

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
Not trying hard enough? Front wheel drive and 200 instant-lbft is a simple recipe for wheelspin, unless the computer is smart enough.

That said, I've driven the 800+ lbft Tesla P95D and the computer actually very effectively prevents wheelspin, even when you're being a complete hooligan.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It's as you would expect from a high torque front wheel drive car. If you put your foot hard down in wet or scrabbly conditions, you are going to be going nowhere fast and doubly so with any sort of lock on the steering. It's pretty hard to break traction on a decent surface unless you are being a right plonker (y)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Haven't managed to wheel spin it yet. Maybe it's only really doable in sport mode, which I haven't tried.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
I did it off a roundabout at 20mph when test driving the Soul with the crappy Nexen tyres. Nearly torque steered myself into the ditch.

When I bought one, I changed the tyres!

But funnily enough, I have hardly touched sport mode since I took delivery anyway.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
It's easy to spin the front wheels in the Niro or Kona.
If you drive it sensibly then you probably won't do it very often but if you are at all heavy with your right foot 200bhp and instant torque makes it easy to achieve, if you want to.
The traction control isn't quick enough to stop it happening but does kick in and reduce the power for long enough to be annoying and teach you to use less accelerator and pull away quicker.

I learnt quickly and didn't do it very often, it doesn't need a heavy right foot to be plenty quick enough to pull away for my needs.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
Maybe it is my experience with the GTE (200hp to the fronts as well)... I did test its traction control a few times. But I thought it was due to the low rolling resistance GoodYear's that I had on it.

How are the Nexens regarding rolling resistance?

And one more thing: OP check your tyre pressure? I picked up the Soul at 41psi, which after a quick hot weather trip turned into 43psi. In the last three weeks, since I picked it up, (due to temp drop, I'm assuming) all 4 tyres have lost pressure and are now at 38psi. I very much prefer the way the car behaves at this lower pressure, better stability and dare I say not as jerky as before.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
374 Posts
I did try to make the front wheels slip in sport mode just for interest. Thus far failed, even in the wet. Instead it just lifts up the front and goes like the clappers. I even turned off the traction control very briefly no obvious difference to me. I think the torque has been limited in software so as to make it sensible and practical to drive. Perhaps it might happen if setting off too briskly whilst the wheels are turned, but not seen it yet.

However, I have lowered my pressures slightly. When I received the car they were at 39F 37R (cold before driving on a morning). The ride was a little harsh and jittery for my taste. So I now have them set at 33 all round (cold). I find the ride is hugely improved, the handling seems better, very grippy and the ride is noticeably smoother and quieter. I expect they will drop slightly more naturally as we go into winter. The tyres also look right sat on the drive. Everything just feels right now. Before they looked way too rigid rather like the old crossplies used to look In the 60s/70s. Radials should show a very slight bulge where they meet the road IMO.

I know the book states 36, and that general advice is to never under inflate tyres ever, but I rarely ever use motorways and never carry full passenger loads (especially so now with the ruddy Covid thing). After warming up with driving they rise to 34 or 35 anyway (according to the TPMS). There is a small risk of increased edge wear but I’ll keep a close eye on that. I’m not recommending others should do this as it’s flouting the guidelines slightly, I’m just reporting what I’m doing currently.

Does anyone know at what pressure the TPMS gets upset? I couldn’t find any settings to adjust the limits. Maybe it’s hidden somewhere? Or maybe it just looks for excessive difference between the four pressures?

Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
@prawlin Seems like a reasonable approach!

I haven't seen any data about the TPMS, which is a good thing to check.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
Does anyone know at what pressure the TPMS gets upset? I couldn’t find any settings to adjust the limits. Maybe it’s hidden somewhere? Or maybe it just looks for excessive difference between the four pressures?

Peter
In my Soul, it kicked in when one of them dropped to 31. When I picked my car up, I had already had the tyres changed and they looked a little low, so it was on my to-do list to take it round to the garage and check them. The following morning, the TPMS kicked in anyway and told me the front left was reading 31. I inflated them all back to 36, according to the garage air line, and the TPMS read them as 35.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've found pulling out at junctions and roundabouts in wet weather can spin the fronts, particularly if the tyres start at an angle. Probably too hard on the accelerator but some of these places you need to shift quick or you will be there all day. Having floored it all through the summer with no problems it is a habit I now have to get out of for the winter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can spin the tires easily in the dry, even going straight, sport mode, factory tire pressure. Maybe our California electrons are more energetic?

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
69 Posts
I’ve only ever spun the wheels in sport mode, eco is too tame in my experience to provide enough power to overwhelm the front wheels, even if you slam the pedal to the floor.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
That said, I've driven the 800+ lbft Tesla P95D and the computer actually very effectively prevents wheelspin, even when you're being a complete hooligan.
That was actually a requirement Musk set the dev engineers - no wheelspin!

Reactions: mrdr_ev

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep, I think the microprocessor in our car is not quite as capable as the systems in the Tesla. I would love it to not have wheelspin either, but I think you really need all wheel drive.

Greg

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
322 Posts
Helps a lot the Teslas are rear-wheel drive as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts