Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the s/w upgrade a month ago or so and have been suspicious that the range prediction had suddenly become lower - but I had no records from before the upgrade to know one or the other. As predicted range was lower, I worried about actual range.

It was only today that I had a chance to really test it. A 69 mile trip.

Predicted range (in Eco+) and with minimal use of aircon/heating was 72 miles as I set off. At the halfway point of the battery (by eye on the blue bar), I was being predicted 31 miles range remaining - but had covered 47 miles. On arrival home I had 21 miles predicted remaining and 69 miles covered. I used the REx menu to find that there was 31% of charge left - which pro rated against the 69 covered would imply a total of 100 miles and 31 remaining (if my maths is right!).

So that confirms my suspicion that the upgrade reduces the predictions (I've done this trip before and in the past it's been much more positive!) but my worries are assuaged - the range seems to still be there in reality. Wish I'd had time to do a few circuits and see if I could hit the 100 mile in a charge mark.

It's an i3 with REx (but not used on this trip); weather warm and windless; terrain was rolling countryside; roads were Eco+ route-planned minor roads and my speed was around 40 most of the time (with some peaks and some crawls).

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Yes, same here I would say after August Update I show around 4-5% lower on average.

There are a couple of new software updates available now I think, but the newer of the 2 requires a the new re-worked KLE first. Don't know if either make the range more accurate.

My i3 is going in for a spa day in the next couple of weeks to have the A/C fixed, I was hoping to get the KLE done at the same time but information is very thin at the minute.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
I have the same, but haven't had the s/w update. I suspect that its mainly because I rarely do a full charge/discharge cycle, so the capacity estimate slowly drifts away until its able to be corrected.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
As another data point, I am in a loaner i3 atm that has a much older software version. It has reported 90miles on the GOM but within minutes of actual driving it updates to something more like what the new software has from the get go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts