Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to increase the wide adoption of fully Electric Vehicles, make all charging points accept contactless payments and ban mandatory sign up requirements for their use.

petition.parliament.uk

Petition: Make all Electric Vehicle Charging Points accept contactless payment.
In order to increase the wide adoption of fully Electric Vehicles, make all charging points accept contactless payments and ban mandatory sign up requirements for their use.
petition.parliament.uk
petition.parliament.uk

Spread the word.

Reactions: BenEVNoob

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
"At 10,000 signatures, government will respond to this petition"

Translation: We will reply to your email thanking you for your input before throwing it in the bin.

"At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament "

Translation: If we've got nothing better to do, we might actually read your petition before throwing it in the bin.

So if every single EV driver in the country signs the petition the government might, maybe, possibly do something other than ignore it ? :p

What happened to the legislation a couple of years ago that was to mandate contactless charging which was later watered down to allow free signup using apps as a get out excuse for not having contactless ? If it didn't succeed the first time why will it be different this time ?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Is this a mobility access issue ? My 87 year old neighbour is locked out of an electric car because of all the hoops to jump through - contactless would mean he could consider an electric car. I dare say many more are locked out by all this apps,clubs and paying upfront nonsense.

PS I have signed

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont agree 100% with this.

Reason being that this legislation would likely result in less chargers being installed, due to additional cost or technical restriction to install a charger with contactless in that location.

I would prefer there to be a single app that (a) has every charger from every network listed and (b) allows me to charge on those networks, without additional price mark up. In other words I would prefer to enforce all providers to have open standards by api to enable a+b above.

In the UK it is not so bad, but I just got back from France the situation is far worse. You need a ton of rfid cards even in a small region of france. In UK if you have the polar instant app and ecotricity app, and a contactless card you are covered for like 80-90% of chargers.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I would prefer there to be a single app that (a) has every charger from every network listed and (b) allows me to charge on those networks, without additional price mark up. In other words I would prefer to enforce all providers to have open standards by api to enable a+b above.
Are you forced to sign up with a mobile app to pay for petrol or diesel ? No. Have you ever had to at any point in the past ? No.

So why should you be forced to do so to charge an electric car ? It's as simple as that really, I'm not sure why there is even a debate about it.

There are plenty of people who can't or won't use mobile phone apps to charge a car who are therefore in many circumstances excluded from driving an EV or in a severely disadvantaged position.

I know a guy on another forum who has recently bought a Leaf - a long time DIY car tinkerer who is at retirement age now and thought he'd dip a toe into EV driving after me being one of the first on that forum to go EV, he has no at home charging and no smartphone. Nor does he want a smartphone. He gets by using Type 2 and Rapid chargers that support contactless, and more recently did send away for a CPS card as he sometimes crosses the border into Scotland. But he flat out refuses to buy or use a smartphone.

Anyone who can't or won't use a smartphone should not be at a disadvantage when it comes to EV adoption. Lets be frank, even for those of us who do have smartphones and are tech savvy (I work in IT for a day job) most of us still hate using or relying on smart phone apps to start a charge. I know I do. To help find a charger, (zap-map etc) sure. Required to start the charge and you're stuck on the side of the road if the app doesn't work ? No thanks. Not very confidence instilling and very inconvenient when its raining and you find out the app has logged you out for the 10th time or you need to update your debit card details on the account etc...

I think far too many people on this forum live in the early adopters bubble and can't see that the public charging shambles is a major, major impediment to widespread EV adoption. So many different networks each with their own app or membership card simply isn't viable. However if all the different networks universally offered contactless payment without an app or sign up it doesn't matter how many different networks there are as you just walk up, swipe your card and plug in - the same as you would at a petrol station.

If networks want to offer loyalty discounts to those willing to use an app or RFID card I'm not against that being available on top of contactless. Some people might want to do that, just like some people go to Costco and use their membership card. But most people will just want to roll up and use their debit card without hassle like they do today with petrol and diesel and get on with their day.

Let's make this happen...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Signed! Charging EVs is one of the biggest hurdles to getting my friends to change to electric (how long, how much, which app, which cable etc etc). I was under the impression that allowing the use of debit cards was meant to become law this year - maybe I missed the memo !

We also need chargers at every single petrol station!

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
251 Posts
i was number 700, got a long way to go before it hits parliament. Also why is this in a vehicle specific forum?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Needs to be more specific I think. All public chargers maybe. Not all chargers. Superchargers would count among all chargers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Obviously in an ideal world they would all be contactless.

All I am saying is 'be careful what you wish for'. There must be a reason why contactless is rare on these machines. For me contactless is not a 'must have', and I would not want legislation to come in that forces contactless at the expense of less chargers being implemented. My attitude is more pragmatic, if there was 'one app to rule them all' that could start a charge on any charger, and this was cheaper/easier for providers to implement, then that for me is a better solution.

I think people can be too quick to jump on bandwagon without thinking through, I am just offering another angle on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its obviously a nice idea to insist on "no strings" contactless payment charging but the result seems to be that if/when it is offered, as a member of the general public, you'll be paying double the price for the energy required over those members of the affiliated (to the charger's owners) "charging club".
If the petition also pushed for a fair price as well as membership-free charging then that would be better..

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I think competition from other networks would see to anyone trying to charge double the going rate for the ability to use contactless...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Not signing because it implies SCs should do so as well. What we really need is for all chargers to talk to the car, like Tesla, and manage payments through a online account so you can just plug and go. That might remove one of Tesla's USPs but ultimately that is the most desirablel outcome, like One Click on Amazon. Why are car manufacturers and networks talking about this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some chargers offer cheaper rates to certain customers. How could this work if there was no tie in to the charger company.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Some chargers offer cheaper rates to certain customers. How could this work if there was no tie in to the charger company.
Nobody is against optional use of apps or RFID cards for loyalty discount schemes etc. This makes sense for company cars for example which previously might have used “fuel cards”.

We’re against not having the choice to use contactless. All public chargers should offer contactless at a fair market price without requiring an app, account or RFID card.

As for the comment earlier about Tesla chargers - I would argue that Tesla chargers are not “public” chargers since they only allow Tesla’s to use them. So they would be exempt from being required to support contactless since nobody else can use them anyway and they already work without an app or RFID card.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Had a bit more time and a quick google..

I think you're preaching tot he converted although I suspect Covid may have slowed down its implementation. The key point is New chargers and I think it unrealistic to expect existing ones to be converted

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Had a bit more time and a quick google..

I think you're preaching tot he converted although I suspect Covid may have slowed down its implementation. The key point is New chargers and I think it unrealistic to expect existing ones to be converted
If you read the article it states :-
"but announcements by the Government on Monday could make plugging in a zero-emissions car much easier in two year's time. "
So thats at least a year away andwe know the fudge that allows apps to bypass any contactless requiement. Never believe the headline. Usual BS from a lazy journalist - always do a reality check. It was and is just a promise.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

petition.parliament.uk

Petition: Make all Electric Vehicle Charging Points accept contactless payment.
petition.parliament.uk
petition.parliament.uk

Spread the word.
Nah, won't be signing this petition. RFID cards, as long as there is a telephone backup, work well.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Signed up straight away.

Maybe worth putting in rest of the other car sections on here

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Nah, won't be signing this petition. RFID cards, as long as there is a telephone backup, work well.
Totally agree. Just need a universal RFID card that all networks take. Hang on I have some contactless credit cards. Maybe they could be used and I would not need so many company specific cards. And they could take payment from them as well no need for topups or signing up for special deals. I can just buy an EV and no need to sign up to all the various systems and networks, no need for apps and smartphones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts