Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Totally agree. Just need a universal RFID card that all networks take. Hang on I have some contactless credit cards. Maybe they could be used and I would not need so many company specific cards. And they could take payment from them as well no need for topups or signing up for special deals. I can just buy an EV and no need to sign up to all the various systems and networks, no need for apps and smartphones.
Tap your phone to pay. Not BS different companies etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Leaf lover
4,723 Posts
Not signing because it implies SCs should do so as well. What we really need is for all chargers to talk to the car, like Tesla, and manage payments through a online account so you can just plug and go. That might remove one of Tesla's USPs but ultimately that is the most desirablel outcome, like One Click on Amazon. Why are car manufacturers and networks talking about this?
When our government draws up legislation on what new road vehicles we can purchase and from what date then this has to be taken into account. The vehicle and the charge point need to do the business, we just need to plug in.
Of course it could go a stage further and the vehicle just stop over a pad, think fully autonomous vehicles.
The point I have made in these discussions is that in all my years of refuelling a vehicle, the one thing I have never, never, ever, failed to have with me is a vehicle.
I don't think Elon has said that publicly but that is how the SCs works, you turn up with a Tesla, that's all you need to get a charge.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Getting payment terminal designs approved and connected to a payment network is hard work (PCI DSS). If you look at most of the rapid chargers that have payment terminals, they're mostly an entirely separate payment terminal - with their own networking - to the rest of the charge point - bolted to the front, rather than a properly integrated system.
For destination charging, there's not enough transactions per day to warrant fitting each and every charge point with several hundreds of pounds of vandal-resitant payment terminals.
Banning enforced pre-payment accounts should have been done already in the UK (and the rest of the EU), because a pre-payment account should count as an existing contract. I have a feeling that at least two networks still do that.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Vote with your wallet too. Only use Instavolt chargepoints and ignore subscription based recharging

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Getting payment terminal designs approved and connected to a payment network is hard work (PCI DSS). If you look at most of the rapid chargers that have payment terminals, they're mostly an entirely separate payment terminal - with their own networking - to the rest of the charge point - bolted to the front, rather than a properly integrated system.
The Engenie rapids I've used are like this - they have one RFID reader in the screen which only reads Engine RFID cards and another separate contactless payment terminal with its own RFID reader for debit cards mounted below this.

It had me confused at first because my contactless debit card would trigger the top reader, which then failed to read it, reporting an error, and yes, I didn't notice the obvious payment terminal below the screen, probably because every other rapid I've used prior to this had a single reader at the base of the screen.

The Instavolt rapids however have an integrated and unified RFID reader which can read both Chargepoint RFID cards and contactless debit cards. So it seems Instavolt have done it "right" with a fully integrated system.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
The Instavolt rapids however have an integrated and unified RFID reader which can read both Chargepoint RFID cards and contactless debit cards. So it seems Instavolt have done it "right" with a fully integrated system.
I'd argue that Instavolt have got something wrong there: I don't use physical credit cards any more except for Instavolt chargers. The reason is that even if I open Google Pay so there's a credit card selected on the screen their scanner still thinks I want to use the Chargepoint app and I don't have that set up to do payments.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,864 Posts
Just driven through Czechia, Poland and now Lithuania.

You have no idea how many apps I now have on my phone. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts