·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Empee

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Be careful of what you wish for. Most networks would simply remove 7kW charging points rather than replace them with contactless ones that are PCI compliant for insecure locations. For now, aggregator services with a single RFID card for multiple networks (such as Octopus Electric Juice) are probably the best solution. Longer term, where there are multiple points at a location a central payment machine would make sense, but AFAIK doesn't exist yet.

It is already happening with Rapids where the cost can be justified, but will still take a while to replace older units - such as Electric Highway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main problem is not the acceptance of credit cards, it's the way the companies all want you to sign up to their particular brand registering - divulging all your details etc. That's the main issue as I see it.
When I fill up my ICE vehicle, I am not expected to jump through all those hoops, I fill up at Shell/BP/Mobil/Texaco etc and just offer my credit card. Done. Should be just the same for EV charging.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The main problem is not the acceptance of credit cards, it's the way the companies all want you to sign up to their particular brand registering - divulging all your details etc. That's the main issue as I see it.
When I fill up my ICE vehicle, I am not expected to jump through all those hoops, I fill up at Shell/BP/Mobil/Texaco etc and just offer my credit card. Done. Should be just the same for EV charging.
The rapid charging point in a pub car park is very different to the existing attended petrol forecourt model, so it is inevitable that differences will exist. However, BP take contactless on almost all their rapid chargers now, there is no need to use an app or sign up. The downside is the cost is high. Gridserve are offering competitive price on their Electric Forecourt and hopefully we will see more of them.

My hope is that agregators will offer a single account with access to a wide range of charging networks at lower cost vs. contactless. So far Octopus don't have many on Electric Juice, but it is early days.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
716 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I believe the Netherlands has a sort of RFID roaming scheme, where all chargepoints can accept payment from any RFID account to avoid the problem of lots of small, incompatible networks requiring multiple cards and memberships.

We should find out how their scheme works and copy it, or at least copy the best bits.

[Edit] A bit of searching found this paper on EV standards and interoperability, page 11 and 12 of the PDF gives a bit of info on the arrangements in the Netherlands, apparently they've had e-roaming since 2011.... 2011 !!! The UK has some serious catching up to do.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rapid charging point in a pub car park is very different to the existing attended petrol forecourt model, so it is inevitable that differences will exist. However, BP take contactless on almost all their rapid chargers now, there is no need to use an app or sign up. The downside is the cost is high. Gridserve are offering competitive price on their Electric Forecourt and hopefully we will see more of them.

My hope is that agregators will offer a single account with access to a wide range of charging networks at lower cost vs. contactless. So far Octopus don't have many on Electric Juice, but it is early days.
Proddick- I don't see that a pub forecourt should be so different. When cars first came along many pubs had petrol pumps on their forecourts before there were many filling stations. You did not have to divulge your DOB, granny's maiden name your addresses for the last ten years and produce multiple utility bills. You just handed over your cash and that was it.

Reactions: TJEV and Gospelman

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
It's very different if you expect to self-serve rather than have a person there. To be able to have a credit card machine requires PCI compliance and that's hard to achieve in remote places like an unattended pub carpark outside of pub hours. Cheaper just to not bother.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be careful of what you wish for. Most networks would simply remove 7kW charging points rather than replace them with contactless ones that are PCI compliant for insecure locations. For now, aggregator services with a single RFID card for multiple networks (such as Octopus Electric Juice) are probably the best solution. Longer term, where there are multiple points at a location a central payment machine would make sense, but AFAIK doesn't exist yet.

It is already happening with Rapids where the cost can be justified, but will still take a while to replace older units - such as Electric Highway.
Why would they?

My local Tesco forecourt has a compressor that will take a contactless payment for 50p for air. If that can be done in a PCI compliant fashion, why would any form of EV charging be a hurdle?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Why would they?

My local Tesco forecourt has a compressor that will take a contactless payment for 50p for air. If that can be done in a PCI compliant fashion, why would any form of EV charging be a hurdle?
I suspect that to be complaint it must be switched off when the forecourt is closed.

Think carefully about this, do you want to use your card at a point that could have been compromised. A post in a remote, insecure location would be a very easy target for hackers, so the security of the unit has to be at the highest level. That isn't possible with most existing 7kW points so new ones would have to be designed and installed. To date there is no compliant 7kW post that I am aware of.

Reactions: Neilew and PaulD

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Proddick- I don't see that a pub forecourt should be so different. When cars first came along many pubs had petrol pumps on their forecourts before there were many filling stations. You did not have to divulge your DOB, granny's maiden name your addresses for the last ten years and produce multiple utility bills. You just handed over your cash and that was it.
Yes, but it is now 2020 not 1950 and lots of people are actually using apps to buy diesel and petrol! I don't disagree that contactless is desirable and that will happen on Rapids, so a moot argument. With fast posts it is better to work towards something achievable in the short to medium term.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Literally nobody uses those. It’s so much easier to stick your credit card in the slot on the pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts