Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Had my car for 7 months now, had half a tank of petrol when I bought it. Since then its only done about 25 miles on petrol and engine maintenance mode has kicked in a few times. My question is regarding petrol deterioration and what happens to the fuel in the tank of the Ampera that doesn't get used maybe for a few years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do believe from reading other forums that the engine cycling is intended to use up the tank before it goes off

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If the car detects that the fuel hasn't been used up or replenished after a period of time (which I forget), it switches to use the engine for driving until it has used it up.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,384 Posts
IIRC it forces you to use up petrol when it calculates over half of it is a year old.

For such low use, you would want to keep your top-ups small so that it gets a steady, slow dilution.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
There is a fuel maintance mode if the fuel is not used for over a year - see the manual. this will use up more. Not seen it myself though have seen the maintance mode engine one in spring summer autumn;)
Probably best in winter to use fuel and warm the car then refill to say 1/4 tank. I keep mine low as my commute only just uses petrol in freezing conditions but I appreciate the engine heat.
Seems every one types faster than me :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts