Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday's journey was over 400 miles. Mainly motorway, with a few minor roads at each end.
Cambridge to callington, Cornwall to Salisbury.

I started with a full charge and a full petrol tank.
I grabbed done charge whilst eating breakfast and again whilst eating my dinner.
I finally filled up just before getting to Salisbury !

Pretty pleased with the economy, but gutted at my lifetime reading now .....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
My Lifetime is 73mpg but the car is almost exclusively used on journies where petrol is used most of the time. For shorter jornies we use the Nissan Leaf so it is working out pretty much as we expected tbh.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Mine is teetering around 100mpg after 2000 miles due to far more long journeys than expected but I'm still very happy with that! The petrol engine averages about 55mpg on the motorway which is great for a 1.4l petrol on a car this size! Top stuff :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I forgot that the first few weeks I had it, my journeys were mainly shorter. 442 miles in a day doesn't leave much time for charging sadly :(
Hoping today will be a bit better, as the journeys about half as long.
Started with a full charge again (thanks to zcw), currently topping up whilst I eat breakfast (courtesy of another zcw install), and will possibly drop in to a third location this afternoon whilst having a late lunch :D

I keep thinking that a 1.4 engine in a corsa would be more economical, then remember that this thing probably weighs twice as much as a corsa !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now that summers here I am averaging 55 miles/charge and once did 59. I use D at all times except on long downhill when I use L for regen.My lifetime mpg is now 190,I live in Chippenham and most journeys Bath/Bristol/Swindon involve some hills

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
My Lifetime is 73mpg but the car is almost exclusively used on journies where petrol is used most of the time. For shorter jornies we use the Nissan Leaf so it is working out pretty much as we expected tbh.
You're definitely out of the sweet spot there, sounds as though a Prius would have used less energy and possibly even less petrol in your application. Hopefuly the next Volt/Ampera will have better petrol efficiency and or a slightly longer EV range, it'll help tip the balance for more buyers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I suppose I forgot that the first few weeks I had it, my journeys were mainly shorter. 442 miles in a day doesn't leave much time for charging sadly :(
Hoping today will be a bit better, as the journeys about half as long.
Started with a full charge again (thanks to zcw), currently topping up whilst I eat breakfast (courtesy of another zcw install), and will possibly drop in to a third location this afternoon whilst having a late lunch :D

I keep thinking that a 1.4 engine in a corsa would be more economical, then remember that this thing probably weighs twice as much as a corsa !
It weighs more and for comparison purposes, its an automatic, which are usually much heavier on fuel!

Big Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It weighs more and for comparison purposes, its an automatic, which are usually much heavier on fuel!

Big Paul
Both incredibly valid points, but it's this blasted 'lifetime mpg' counter. Once it got over 100 I started to get this irrational fear of it dropping below. Sadly I know it will be back in the 90's tomorrow with a 190 miles journey, without any mid-route charging..... :(

Sad really, but it's like a competition that I don't want to lose ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've done about 300 miles today returning 55 mpg aaagh I hate it (lifetime down to 92). Frustrating that I'm now in a Prem Inn with no chance to charge overnight - seems such a waste (no zeronet alternative within about 30 miles but I did get the girl on reception to say she'd bring it up at their team meeting!)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
My lifetime figure is sitting at 236 after my first 3600 miles so my driving pattern is pretty much as I predicted and I am 90 to 95% pure electric so really happy. Still only put £70 of petrol in the car since I got it.

To say I'm loving it is an understatement!

Derek

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've done about 300 miles today returning 55 mpg aaagh I hate it (lifetime down to 92). Frustrating that I'm now in a Prem Inn with no chance to charge overnight - seems such a waste (no zeronet alternative within about 30 miles but I did get the girl on reception to say she'd bring it up at their team meeting!)
It's irrationally frustrating isn't it ! After this is the very reason we went for range extenders ;)
However, I did beg like my life depended on it to get a charge last night !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts