Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was wondering if anyone has driven either of these two hybrids? All the reviews say they're good cars but the transition from electric to hybrid is jerky. They also say the gearbox fumbles a bit on kick-down, giving a bit of delay when acceleration is required.

I hope to drive both these soon - lockdown dependent - before I decide for next car. But any opinions are welcome for pointers when I test drive.

Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a 508 hybrid since the beginning of March, not done that many miles due to the lockdown but can report that there is no jerkiness between the transition from petrol to electric. It is almost impossible tell when it happens unless you have the display that shows usage up on the screen. When in petrol there is obviously more noise but it is very subdued. Kickdown is fine. I think the must have sorted some of the problems that the early press cars had.
One thing though, the advertised 32 miles on a full charge is not possible, most I have had is 22 miles and it is normally less than twenty. But for me this is fine as I only do a couple of miles a day, when lockdown is finished I will be doing longer journeys at the weekends but I never expected to be using electric power for these.
When in hybrid the system tries to use electric power when it can, always pulling away on the battery even if it showing no charge.
All in all I am very happy with the car, no rattles or squeaks and everything working perfectly.
It is showing 120mpg at the moment but I have not used more than a couple of litres of petrol since lockdown as it has been in electric mode for 95% of the time

·
Registered
4 Posts
What on board charger option should you take for the 508 hybrid? Standard is 4.7kw and 7.4kw is €390 extra. Is the larger on board charger more future proof and sensible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did not go for the 7.4kw option just stayed with the standard setup. I only charge from home overnight and am in no rush on the time it takes so saw no point in going for the more expensive option. It was actually the only option I did not go for with the car!

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
With only 12kW there's little point in the faster option - reducing the time from about 2 hours 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes can't be of benefit that often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did not go for the 7.4kw option just stayed with the standard setup. I only charge from home overnight and am in no rush on the time it takes so saw no point in going for the more expensive option. It was actually the only option I did not go for with the car!
Is the larger 7.4kw only for faster charging or does it give more capacity as in it takes longer before the battery run flat if you have the 7.4kw versus the 4.7kw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a 508 hybrid since the beginning of March, not done that many miles due to the lockdown but can report that there is no jerkiness between the transition from petrol to electric. It is almost impossible tell when it happens unless you have the display that shows usage up on the screen. When in petrol there is obviously more noise but it is very subdued. Kickdown is fine. I think the must have sorted some of the problems that the early press cars had.
One thing though, the advertised 32 miles on a full charge is not possible, most I have had is 22 miles and it is normally less than twenty. But for me this is fine as I only do a couple of miles a day, when lockdown is finished I will be doing longer journeys at the weekends but I never expected to be using electric power for these.
When in hybrid the system tries to use electric power when it can, always pulling away on the battery even if it showing no charge.
All in all I am very happy with the car, no rattles or squeaks and everything working perfectly.
It is showing 120mpg at the moment but I have not used more than a couple of litres of petrol since lockdown as it has been in electric mode for 95% of the time
You’re only getting 22miles max, is this related to how you are driving the car as in motorway, country roads, city center or fast acceleration? If you drive like “driving miss daisy” will the range improve?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the larger 7.4kw only for faster charging or does it give more capacity as in it takes longer before the battery run flat if you have the 7.4kw versus the 4.7kw?
Battery is approx 12kw does not matter how you charge it that's its capacity, 12kw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You’re only getting 22miles max, is this related to how you are driving the car as in motorway, country roads, city center or fast acceleration? If you drive like “driving miss daisy” will the range improve?
I've seen 24 miles but no more. I have tried driving really slowly, turned the air con off and tried with and without regenerative braking and I always get about 20 miles.
It could be to do with the area I live in as I think it has always affected my mpg , I have to go uphill to leave my immediate area whichever way I go so am using a lot of energy as soon as I leave the house.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
712 Posts
Shows how good the Ampera/volt was, they would do 50 miles on just over 10Kwh if driven very carefully & 35 miles average, you'd of thought these new plug in hybrids would be better not worse...

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Battery is approx 12kw does not matter how you charge it that's its capacity, 12kw.
12kWh. Hence around 4 hours with standard charger (16A I understand) connected to a proper charging point. Obviously a lot longer on 13A socket.

In theory 36 EV miles should be possible as that is only 3.0 miles/kWh. However, it likely that the 12kWh isn't the usable capacity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what should I take from all this?
1) the upgrade to 7.4kw on board charger isn’t worth it and is not future proofing the resale of the car.
2) the Peugeot PHEV gets you 22miles range on full electric max.
3) The 508 looks great but fails on the EV front

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
All of the above. Think of the electric as a throwaway addition by a desperate legacy manufacturer to survive whilst they are late to the change to BEVs. If you can manage on less than 30 miles per day most of the time then why not have a BEV? In the UK a PHEV wrongly benefits from some of the incentives for company car drivers.
The galling thing is that Peugeot can produce good BEVs such as the 208, but have failed to do so with the 508.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
mainly @Deccles and @FlyingHedgehog

My only statement would be around your daily commute requirements and local shops travel.

a PHEV is only meant for that

if you have a regular 200mile journey, a PHEV isn’t for you.

however if your commute is 10miles each way (mine is under that and so is the wife’s) then 20miles a day, 100miles a week, 400miles a month ... all on electric. That’s good for the pocket and the environment (I.e. local air quality).

ita a good interim step and way better than a self charging hybrids

When we went to full EV, I was using it for the commute and then the missus used for all her running around on the weekends and the petrol savings across 2 cars was really impressive.

if a PHEV does 22 or 30 - you are still gonna need to charge it up every time you park on your drive because the leccy is still way cheaper than fuel :)

JJ

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
@Problemchild

I agree that PHEVs are not better than normal ICE for long journeys, but better for lots of short journeys. The question has to be how often should someone need to make a journey greater than a typical BEVs range to justify the PHEV? If we ignore your Pug and say that a typical range for new BEVs is 180 miles I wonder how many PHEV owners regularly do that without a stop of more than (say) 30 minutes part way? If they only do say once every two months can they really justify the inconvenience and cost of the ICE part and wouldn't they be better with a BEV?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts