174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Range calculators on Peugeot France site. Scroll down page

2008e

208e

·
Zoe Devotee
8,894 Posts
So it looks to me like the 2008's range is no better than the MG ZS EV. Hmmm.
Same sort of shape and size and only a battery a few kWh bigger.

·
richi.uk
194 Posts
I was expecting better, given that the Pug has a bit more usable energy, that it's a bit smaller, and that the MG isn't particularly efficient.

Obviously, we see through a glass darkly right now, but it looks like PSA has produced an even less efficient drivetrain than SAIC (not to mention the price differential).

·
Registered
148 Posts
According to the calculator at 110km/h the 208 has about the same range as the Ioniq 28, maybe a little worse than in colder temperatures. That's quite poor even considering its relatively boxy design

·
Registered
45 Posts
According to the calculator at 110km/h the 208 has about the same range as the Ioniq 28, maybe a little worse than in colder temperatures. That's quite poor even considering its relatively boxy design
Cancelling my order because of this, would be a fool to myself to own a car incapable of driving the most regular drive I do of 130 miles in the winter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This has now been added to the UK website.

Interesting things to note:
  • Best range: Calm driving, HVAC off, 25°C outside temp @ 25 mph = 254 miles
  • Worst range: Dynamic driving, HVAC on, -10°C outside temp @ 80 mph = 77 miles
  • 25-30 mph appears to be the range sweet spot, this changes when the HVAC is on as 30-40 mph becomes the new sweet spot depending on the temperature.
  • Large amounts of range loss occurs when pushing between 40-55 mph.
  • The HVAC system is more efficent at higher speeds as the heat pump becomes more efficient working in tandem with the HVAC. For example at -10°C & HVAC on driving at 25 mph nets you 125 miles but driving at 40 mph gives you 133 miles but going above 40 mph reduces your range again.
  • Similar to the above point the HVAC becomes more efficient the more air you pump into it with a similar curve when speed increases. For example at 35°C & HVAC on driving at 25mph nets you 150 miles but driving at 40mph gives you 164 miles but going above 40 mph reduces your range again.
  • All of the assumptions above are based on the range calculator alone. I'm hoping to do some real-world testing at some point
Graphing and spreadsheet data can be found here: Google Sheets

·
Registered
45 Posts
I cancelled my order off the back of this. The Kia can do a much larger range in all conditions. I wanted a next gen car that was going to make 150 miles on the motorway, what it really is, is a car not fit for my own purpose and would be stopping to charge it on every trip I personally make. I changed my order to a petrol version instead and will see how things pan out for a couple of years now

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Need to research cars before buying

a car with a range of 180miles is never going to constantly give you 150 miles - ever

the physics of batteries doesn’t allow it.

the only way manufacturers can provide consistent range across temps if limit available range in the summer

I still think that a 150 mile journey with a 10 min stop is a better option (cost and pshycholiical wise) than a 150 mile £30 no stopper

JJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Need to research cars before buying

a car with a range of 180miles is never going to constantly give you 150 miles - ever

the physics of batteries doesn’t allow it.

the only way manufacturers can provide consistent range across temps if limit available range in the summer

I still think that a 150 mile journey with a 10 min stop is a better option (cost and pshycholiical wise) than a 150 mile £30 no stopper

JJ
Maybe you are right. But I ordered the car when they quoted and still do 206 miles. I spoke to the garage in depth re the mileage achievable and was told it would easily do the mileage I needed. I looked into other cars like the Ioniq that had smaller batteries that would not make the mileage I needed although would be close. The general consensus was that the extra size in the battery should more than equate to the mileage I needed.
The only way Manufacturers can provide a consistent range is to use proper testing and reporting of the cars range, WLTP clearly over states this on Peugeot and the fact they added a range checker months after I had ordered the car, meant I had the ability to check before it went into production.

As for you thoughts on a 150 mile journey without stops, my journey is in fact a 150 there, stay over night and 150 home again. I care for my elderly parents every weekend, driving down with kids and dogs in car to their house. this happens most weekends, and would now need to stop on the way down just to reach my destination, trickle charging overnight as they don't have a charger at their house, and then stopping again on the way back home again. For me, thats just silly and something I would not commit to. Once I can get the range to get there and charge over night fully for the return then.
To me this is as much research on a car that was not yet released but was advising that it could cater for my needs, and the reality that EV cars are not for everyone yet. I will look again but for now I am getting shot of my diesel and going petrol. the 8k difference in price in petrol's favour will more than make the cost of fuel a non issue for the years I have the car and in a few years I suspect that more cars will become available capable of doing the range I want that I like the look of too. Lets hope

Either way, going to buy the wife an e-208 at the end of the year for her daily commute. We did consider her using the 2008 but she has to road park in Birmingham and smaller cars are better there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe you are right. But I ordered the car when they quoted and still do 206 miles. I spoke to the garage in depth re the mileage achievable and was told it would easily do the mileage I needed. I looked into other cars like the Ioniq that had smaller batteries that would not make the mileage I needed although would be close. The general consensus was that the extra size in the battery should more than equate to the mileage I needed.
The only way Manufacturers can provide a consistent range is to use proper testing and reporting of the cars range, WLTP clearly over states this on Peugeot and the fact they added a range checker months after I had ordered the car, meant I had the ability to check before it went into production.

As for you thoughts on a 150 mile journey without stops, my journey is in fact a 150 there, stay over night and 150 home again. I care for my elderly parents every weekend, driving down with kids and dogs in car to their house. this happens most weekends, and would now need to stop on the way down just to reach my destination, trickle charging overnight as they don't have a charger at their house, and then stopping again on the way back home again. For me, thats just silly and something I would not commit to. Once I can get the range to get there and charge over night fully for the return then.
To me this is as much research on a car that was not yet released but was advising that it could cater for my needs, and the reality that EV cars are not for everyone yet. I will look again but for now I am getting shot of my diesel and going petrol. the 8k difference in price in petrol's favour will more than make the cost of fuel a non issue for the years I have the car and in a few years I suspect that more cars will become available capable of doing the range I want that I like the look of too. Lets hope

Either way, going to buy the wife an e-208 at the end of the year for her daily commute. We did consider her using the 2008 but she has to road park in Birmingham and smaller cars are better there.
And for reference, as my wife will contest, we traipsed around 5 Peugeot dealers over 3 weekends, talking to each about the car and its expected range.. At that time, they all quoted that it would make it without issue.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think it will probably make that range 90% of the time

trouble is the pug dealers are selling their first EV

I knew more about the car than the salesman when I looked at them ;)

around town in winter is where you will get biggest hit on range - like 120 I’d say. I got my zoe down to sub 100 with a bit of preconditioning in work car park

it’s fun times

JJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it will probably make that range 90% of the time

trouble is the pug dealers are selling their first EV

I knew more about the car than the salesman when I looked at them ;)

around town in winter is where you will get biggest hit on range - like 120 I’d say. I got my zoe down to sub 100 with a bit of preconditioning in work car park

it’s fun times

JJ
My original plans on the car were to drive to parents expecting to use around 35 Kw ish and charging overnight for about 18 hours with some to spare and then driving home. As it went on it looked more and more that I would be using a lot more and charging time would go up to 20-22 hours, even with a spot charge on the way down. The more I looked, the more it was going to become an annoyance and not the fab one I dreamed about. Traffic has been an issue a lot in the last year, almost every over trip and I know me and what I am like. I was gutted if I am honest, however, I have brought the 2008 1.2 EAT 8 petrol. In hindsight I shouldn't have gone for a car before it was released so I could have gotten real world figures.
Its not all bad though, as the wife will be getting the E-208 probably as soon as the right one comes up secondhand later this year and I will use that in the summer as well, it does have a larger range and when I am on my own I could go off motorway and guarantee I would make it. The rest of the time I am finishing work, in the car and driving down, all a bit of a rush.
Its all good, just will look again in a few years, and for me I may go for a Kia Niro or similar as I suspect I will suffer range anxiety otherwise :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
EVs become less of an option if you cannot support with the adequate charging infrastructure. Are there no rapid/fast chargers near your parents?

·
Registered
45 Posts
EVs become less of an option if you cannot support with the adequate charging infrastructure. Are there no rapid/fast chargers near your parents?
There are but then the costs more than double. I am all for EV, just for me it works if you can complete 90% of your journeys charged at home, as this is my main journey, the other is about 320 miles return trip to my wife's family, thats the other alternate weekends, which I did expect to have to top up on but these are generally in more friendly hours to the family travelling with me.
Its ok, the EV cancelled and a petrol version awaits me from the lock down and I will look again on my next purchase

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Infrastructure is there - charge points are not quite

need to think of it slightly differently

I’d charge just before getting there and on way back

I do use destination charging at my dads in Essex (when I travel from Bristol) but I don’t rely on it so I used to charge at reading both ways for 20mins - that got me 360 miles round trip easily

JJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
I made my choice this time, but did so knowing I would change again in a year or two. I feel more enthusiastic now I have reverted to petrol and the cost of buying dropped by 8k, which in hindsight is good as I work from home most of the time now so its only a weekends use car. The wife did say at the start that she would probably get more functional use from an EV...but then I am man and what does she know ;)...apparently quite a lot!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts