Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2011 Peugeot iOn with 39000 miles on the clock from a fellow Speakev user yesterday. While its main use wiIl be as a second family car for a 16 mile round trip commute and ferrying about young people (therefore range is not that important from day to day), I had to collect it from Doncaster and drive it back home to Glasgow (around 250 miles). Since there may be an interest in the range and usability of a 9-year-old small EV of this kind, I thought I would summarise the experience which was, overall:

• about what I expected in terms of realistic range at motorway speeds
  • slightly better than expected in repeat rapid charging - the rate of charge seemed to hold up and I was not aware of battery heat being an issue (albeit it was wintry and the iOn doesn't actually have a battery temperature gauge).
I am a fairly experienced EV driver having had a Leaf24 since 2015. I don't think this journey would have been possible in 2015 because the rapid charging networks now are simply far more comprehensive than they were then.

I left Doncaster at 2pm and reached Glasgow at 10.40pm therefore this was hardly a fast journey but, thanks to Zap Map user comments and the availability of double rapid charge units at 20-40 mile intervals most of the way, at no point did I fear not making it.

While the stormy conditions yesterday were not nice, the southerly wind was in my favour from the point where I reached the M6 onwards. I had the air on but not the heating, to save electricity. This made it a cold experience aided only by cups of tea.

Leaving Doncaster with 100% battery, stops:
  • Instavolt Leeds York Road Halfords (arr 30%, dep 60%)
  • Instavolt Ilkley Booths (arr 30%, dep 73% ish, battery seemed to cut off at that stage)
  • Engie near Settle (unplanned - just a few minutes top up to ensure I reached Kirkby Lonsdale without a problem)
  • Instavolt Booths Kirkby Lonsdale (left with 74%)
  • Tebay Ecotricity (arr 35%, dep 67%)
  • Southwaite Ecotricity (arr 15%, dep 75%)
  • Gretna Green Polar (arr 30%, dep 80%)
  • Moffat Chargeplace Scotland (arr 24%, dep 76%)
  • Abington Ecotricity (arr 25%, dep 78%)
  • then home 37 miles later with low battery warning flash.
I drove at 45-55mph most of the time. This was not an imposition on other road users because the stretch from Doncaster to Kirkby Lonsdale was on A-roads where 45-55mph is a typical driving speed and the M6/M74 was dark, stormy and quiet.

I might have got away with charging less often (the Leeds and Settle stops were more for reassurance and I might have made it to Rheged rather than both Tebay and Southwaite) but it is best not to take chances with an unfamiliar car in wintry conditions.

If you are prepared to use any and every rapid chargepoint (rather than stick to one provider), use Zap Map responsibly and favour sites with 2 rapid machines wherever possible then such long journeys are doable if a bit extreme in an iOn.

Since this is Speakev, I will round off by having a go at Ecotricity. Three consecutive service areas from Carlisle to Moffat (Todhills Northbound, Gretna and Annandale Water) were marked as broken or of serious concern on Zap Map therefore that area of motorway would have been unusable for a short range EV if it were not for other providers' A-road chargepoints nearby at Gretna Green and Moffat. I found greater availability of rapid chargers on A roads than on motorways for this journey.

While this was fine as a one-off journey, I now look forward to the iOn remaining in Greater Glasgow for the duration of our ownership.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Fantastic write-up. Great to hear about your journey. Had my triplet a couple of years now and as a second car it's brilliant doing all our local to medium journeys. Only stick about ~£30pm in the Golf diesel now :) Used to spend 10x that on fuel!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Braver man than me!! I thought 100miles in a triplet was bad enough! They are definitely town roundabouts/ regular commute cars

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts