Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Ion needs a couple of new rear tyres to get through the MOT. It has Continentals on there at present, are these the recommended tyres? Have been quoted £88 a corner. Seems a lot for such a small wheel.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
It does not need to be the same brand but it should be the same size. Regarding price, it will depend on the size of the tyre and how common they are. I have a car and only one manufacturer makes a tyre in the size that I need for the front of the car, as a result, they only produce the tyres in small batches and this means a higher price. The fronts that I have are 175/55 R17 and only Bridgestone manufacture in this odd size.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I need a couple too, but for the front. What I have noticed since buying rear tyres a year or so ago is the prices for these tyres have shot up and some are no longer stocking them... What was £40 odd or less is now £60+ unless you buy no-name lucky dip tyres, lol.

Also a lot harder to get all-season/winters fitted in a one stop shop now. I can't be bothered ordering online then finding/begging a place that will fit/dispose of, which is not cheap.

But then you have to remind yourself the cost of the tyres is less than a tank of gas :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My 2015 Ion needs a couple of new rear tyres to get through the MOT. It has Continentals on there at present, are these the recommended tyres? Have been quoted £88 a corner. Seems a lot for such a small wheel.
At the risk of severe embarrassment... I've got Nankang All-Seasons on the rear 🤪

TBH, I tried them on one of my off-roaders years ago instead of the usual Bridgestones, and were absolutely brilliant.

Certainly gives the C-Zero some much-needed grip in the slush and snow as it would barely even move forward on summer tyres. Can't notice any difference in range, never had any hair-raising moments, very quiet, comfortable and no noticeable wear though I do usually get 50,000+ miles out of my tyres.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts