Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just noticed one of these for sale at a very reasonable price. Do they have chademo? New parner has Rapid charging but looks like a type1 socket. The 2010 model appears to have the large red 3 phase commando socket. MPV seems to be a 5 seater.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This was not a genuine PSA vehicle but I believe one of the Allied conversions, a lot of which were used by Glasgow council and are now being disposed of. The Allied website has little information on the electric conversions, so I guess they are not pushing that side of the business. I guess since the mainstream makers are now filling many of the needs or companies having tried larger EV vans and trucks, have moved back to Diesel as a more cost effective option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I came across these Tepees while looking for an mpv and wondered how realistic purchasing one would be. 5 years old, 12,000 mile, £4k and the odd Allied conversion.
I'm in Glasgow so near Allied for spares, etc... but would appreciate thoughts on wisdom of purchasing a 5 year old, non-manufacturer ev. I think from another thread they also use a weird red power plug for fast charge. Functionally it works great, good size and range is fine

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They were disposed of early and were subject to legal action. If would appear that Glasgow decided they could walk away from the contract as the working availability of the vehicle fleet did not meet the contract . ie they were broken for too much time. I think the claims were for £1.8m+ on broken contract fees.
Vehicle firm sues Glasgow over hitch in £1.8m electric car scheme (From Herald Scotland)
Allied dont even comment on EVs on their website, and I have spoken to people who have tried to speak to them but have failed,
The Red socket (Actually a stansard threephase connector) could be readily changed for a 62196 or J1772.
they could be good value, as the prices are so low.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
If you absolutely need a van then maybe. Negotiate hard. I think you'd need to be a commited EVer or very competent to own an old modified EV. Where do you take it if it just wrong?

If you just want an EV then there are loads of i-miev and clones around the £5k-£6k mark.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
WIth people like me and Indra about,owners with such vehicles can get good support, often at substantially less cost than having to use main dealers. We also solve problems, not merely replace parts until the problem goes away.
You can get a lot more vehicle for your money with these conversions.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
There's a people carrier one on Autotrader at £3,995 at the moment. I'm sure you might get £3k if they're desperate and you're cheeky or £3,500 should be achieveable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thats very cheap, you couldnt buy half the battery pack for that. I think these re going so cheaply because Allied seem to have walked away and little support is available. I hope to rectify that shortly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just in the process of buying one of Allied Electric's Partners. It looks just the job for the work I do locally. All I need to do now is find buyers for the two shorter range EVs that it will be replacing! Thank you for putting your contact number up. Should I wait until Monday now before I bother you with my situation and asking for advice?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have now had a good look at the partner, found out what the parts are, and dismantled a faulty inverter. I have yet to hear from the European makers of the parts in relation to spares etc, but it looks like some support can be achieved. The systems do however appear to be prone to damage frommains spikes, so what ever you do you need a clean mains supply and if you get spikes and regular power cuts then that could be challenging.
Do contact me if you wish to talk about these

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, having had a few issues with my G wiz, like range, two batteries failing ect... One of these will be landing on my drive next week!! it will be certainly interesting to find out what its like, i have not seen many specs at all about it apart from it should do 100 miles and also should do 60mph. who knows apart from that! I hope it has got a single phase charge option too, or ill have to buy an inverter for it....we will see!! very excitied here hehe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and bought one of the Partner Tepee's. Brother is based in Glasgow so drove it home. Just short of 200 miles, crossed at Troon and made it to its new home in less than two days over three and a bit charges. Home is Fermanagh in Northern Ireland!! I am an engineer with an interest in all things renewable so figured this could be my next project. Looking forward to the learning curve and the experience. Any recommendations on good technical reads/books that will bring me up to speed with the tech would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Falcon, havent been able to get much information out of allied (as was planning on converting the three phase socket to a type 2) but in gentle town ish driving i have got 80 miles out of it which is not bad! Just try not to stick it on 60, doesnt like it!

Hope you enjoy it as much as me, its now my main car! If you find any information, i would love to know. All i have found so far is that the charger on mine is made by EDN Group.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For me it was the test to see could an EV survive in country life, my commute to work is less than 50 miles round trip but there are a number of hills!! Due to roads over here the typical speed is between 30 and 50 so suits great. I am OK with the single phase as no rapid chargers near me anyway, I will have to set up to use the public charge points and put together a cable to suit though. Allied Electric are very hard to get info out of all right, it would be good to have some technical manuals and the diagnostic software to tap into but I don't think that will surface any time soon. The only info I saw was on the following thread...
Any info available on allied electric conversions - Battery Vehicle Society
I intend to read up on build your own so I get a feel for the technology and take it from there. Hopefully all those that do buy these EV's will congregate here over time. The place I got it said a number of them were being bought and getting the parts ripped out and replaced with diesel again, sacrilege!! However worth keeping an eye on ebay for spares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and bought one of the Partner Tepee's. Brother is based in Glasgow so drove it home. Just short of 200 miles, crossed at Troon and made it to its new home in less than two days over three and a bit charges. Home is Fermanagh in Northern Ireland!! I am an engineer with an interest in all things renewable so figured this could be my next project. Looking forward to the learning curve and the experience. Any recommendations on good technical reads/books that will bring me up to speed with the tech would be greatly appreciated?
Did you have to use a type 1 or 2 adapter to charge it . since the conversions use a commando socket

·
Registered
25 Posts
you should be okay then! They state average range is 60 miles in the brochure, which is a little low as i have had 40 miles out at 50%

that info is great!! much more than i got out of Allied

Madness doing that.... they were at such a good price for an electric, just keep it that way!

the only thing i want to change is the diesel heater, to be able to turn it on without the key would be amazing for winter, pre warm the cabin up!

i have thought about changing the socket to a type one as yes its got the standard 3 phase plug. but then why bother, everywhere i go has 3 pin. its going to cost a lot for not much back.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The motor and inverter is made by an Italian company, who so far have not responded to about ten different email addresses, all of which are being returned as undeliverable. Even the partent company does not respond.
All the systems are controlled thgrough canbus, but its proving hard to get any of the can message details. There appears to be some issues with mains derived spikes, making their way throgh the charger to the battery pack and through to the inverter which is online during charge. This gives the inverter problems, one of my customers recently managed to get a used part from Allied to repair his after we had extracted the old one and done some tests on certain parts. So spike suppressors are a good idea, I have made some to use on single phase with 16amp connections but you could use a 13amp plug in one, but obviously not outside. Three phase versions will only work on three phase, so if you have a three phase version then a single phase charger will need to be installed. These take a while to obtain, as they are not held in the uk and get made to order by Zivan. Dont go the route of a phase converter as you would need something to supply the power of the three phase charger which is greater than a single phase unit (thats why they used them).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you have to use a type 1 or 2 adapter to charge it . since the conversions use a commando socket
I was just using the standard three pin plug that comes with the car, I have a sister living just outside Belfast and a brother in Omagh, each 50 - 60 mile range so had no need to use the public charge points which was great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The motor and inverter is made by an Italian company, who so far have not responded to about ten different email addresses, all of which are being returned as undeliverable. Even the partent company does not respond.
All the systems are controlled thgrough canbus, but its proving hard to get any of the can message details. There appears to be some issues with mains derived spikes, making their way throgh the charger to the battery pack and through to the inverter which is online during charge. This gives the inverter problems, one of my customers recently managed to get a used part from Allied to repair his after we had extracted the old one and done some tests on certain parts. So spike suppressors are a good idea, I have made some to use on single phase with 16amp connections but you could use a 13amp plug in one, but obviously not outside. Three phase versions will only work on three phase, so if you have a three phase version then a single phase charger will need to be installed. These take a while to obtain, as they are not held in the uk and get made to order by Zivan. Dont go the route of a phase converter as you would need something to supply the power of the three phase charger which is greater than a single phase unit (thats why they used them).
I will pick up a standard spike suppressor, thanks for the good advice. Its strange about Ansaldo Electric Drive, they were a big market player between 2006 - 2011 supplying a wide number of car manufacturers but then seem to just disappear in 2012-2013. I done a good web trawl for info but can find very little. Some here...
Drive line for Micro-Vett Electric Fiat 500E
Drive line for Micro-Vett Electric Fiat 500E

A thread about issues with Micro Vett / Karabag which appear to use the same drive,
Help with a Fiat Fiorinno Ev conversion from Micro Vett - DIY Electric Car Forums

and two presentations given by the CEO who left in 2013, now an independent consultant (as per LinkedIn status)
http://www.anfia.it/allegati_contenuti/Ansaldo Elecric Drives .pdf
http://www.anfia.it/allegati_contenuti/ansaldo.pdf

Maybe its worth spinning him a message through LinkedIn asking what happened and if any support remains.

How is your contact with Allied Electric? I assume they don't want all of us contacting with every query so it might be a good idea if you were the main point of contact, do you think they would be agreeable to this? I spun them a message asking if they had any vehicles that they service in Ireland that I could tie in with but no reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I am considering purchasing an Allied converted Peugeot Partner Tepee. Generally I am averaging 25 - 35 miles 3 days a week with an occasional 60 mile journey to relatives. Does anyone have any comments or info about this vehicle?

1 - 20 of 511 Posts