Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

461 - 480 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
neither, EVParts
Nice, looks like good stuff - I didn't know about them until you mentioned them. I've been pleased with Batrium, but it's certainly a bit clunky and the QC is a bit hit and miss...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Just keeping you all posted, discussed issues with dealer regards Boxer van, and they are going to send it back to the guy who replaced the cell, he maintains it just wants several recharges!!!!! either way I have insisted before it comes back, I want a data printout when running at 20% charge, and going up a hill load, and if all the cells stay balanced hold up at this level I would say the battery was ok. Sadly I don't think it is going to happen looking at the sorry state they are in at 97% charge, but fingers crossed. If that's ok they are also going to fix the diesel heater, and also the steering was dropping out as well, last time I ran it, but if the pack is good I will be happy, and hopefully work round the rest, will post details as soon as I get them. yours Dave

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Just keeping you all posted, discussed issues with dealer regards Boxer van, and they are going to send it back to the guy who replaced the cell, he maintains it just wants several recharges!!!!! either way I have insisted before it comes back, I want a data printout when running at 20% charge, and going up a hill load, and if all the cells stay balanced hold up at this level I would say the battery was ok. Sadly I don't think it is going to happen looking at the sorry state they are in at 97% charge, but fingers crossed. If that's ok they are also going to fix the diesel heater, and also the steering was dropping out as well, last time I ran it, but if the pack is good I will be happy, and hopefully work round the rest, will post details as soon as I get them. yours Dave
You should be able to drive at least 50 miles in the Boxer, even in the current cold weather and probably a lot more. Lack of power steering suggests lack of 12v so either a well under capacity 12v battery or poor DC to DC. Some of the Boxers had two DC to DC units to give adequate 12v power. The 12v is only charged when you have the vehicle turned on. It only has a very small mains (1 and 3phase) 12v power supply that operates when charging , enough to power the 12v systems and no more (and often not even that).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everybody just a quick update, ive decided to keep the Boxer after all and with all its faults, but acknowledge it not a 5 mins fix, and so ime getting another van, until I can either fix the Boxer properly, or break for the cells etc, if I cant resolve the issues as std, I will then I hope be able to dispense with a lot of the issues with battery pack/ controller , by splitting it into 2 off 140v packs, and then dump the BMS, temp sensors, etc etc etc, and just bottom balance, and then use a Kelly 140v ac motor controller to drive, possibly another option, is to just slot a complete leaf motor and subfame, ect in front, and MAKE it fit, but most likely, I will just end up with a load of surplus cells to sell, and at least get my money back that way. thanks for all your help so far, and I will keep you all posted. yours Dave

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The motor will be unable to perform at such low voltages, its a high voltage motor, and as such isnt designed for the high currents required to make up it give the appropriate power output.
My experience is that bottom balancing really doesnt work. You must have a BMS and a BMS normally has some balancing system, this is always top balanced. If you bottom balance then you will always have the pack limited. Charging is the main issue with managing a usable pack. And its at the top end of the charge that you tend over time to get variance. You also dont want to discharge a pack anywhere near to the point at which you would bottom balance, so the pack starts off actually being unbalanced. This is not the case with brandnew perfect cells. Cells perform very differently under load, and as such a bottom balance is only balanced at a no load situation, put those cells under load and they will diverge hugely. Some disastrously . If you top balance to a reasonable voltage (I take these 210ah cells in the Boxer to 3.65v max) you dont push them to the point at which the largely diverge, but you do get the pack as fully charged as possible. Having as high a voltage in the pack as you can means that current will be at its lowest, if they are not all as charged as possible (always happens with bottom balance as you wont be able to charge to as high a voltage) some will be at a greater stress and will exhibit a higher voltage drop under load.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'd be fitting a new BMS personally, something you can actually get current support and software for. I use Batrium, it scales well but the build quality is a bit iffy on some bits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Everybody. First off thanks Grumpy for the info re motor driver combination I totally agree, but what I had meant to say was I would also be using my 11" dia FLT DC motor combined with my Kelly 144V DC controller that I already have, not the AC motor currently in the car. That said I have now just bought a new Sevcon water cooled 300V x 300Amp controller to I hope save swopping the motor out ect, and also approx. 50% to 60% of the issues regards Allied vehicles in general, and the rest I hope to resolve with a later BMS which I think is actually the weakest link, and causes more potential issues than the rest, (once you have nailed the 12v system) but I am going to need a lot of help on the electronics side, and if anybody has any wiring diagrams ect, for any part of the system it would be a big help. The vehicle has not turned a wheel since, and is still at 92% charge although the cells are now a lot closer matched, once the load has been removed, I am reluctant to now charge again to 100% and then store in this state, as I said before I only have a short strip of land to trial/discharge, and wanted to leave at 60 to 70% for long term storage I did try to lower the main pack via ignition on lights on hazards on ect, as the draw for the 12v system is also taken eventually from the main pack, but after 5/6 hours not 1% change, which I thought was odd, but it at least iconfirmed the DC TO DC system is fine. I did consider jacking up one side, and running/discharging that way, but not ideal, and unloaded it would be using probably only minimal amps anyway, anybody any better ideas, or just keep the lights on for a week. I think the pack will probably need to be tweaked manually, so it may be easier to remove first as last. I can see roughly how its done, but has anybody tried it WITHOUT A RAMP if so ime all ears. Ive now got an NV200 so can work on Boxer properly, and not rush. And finally now ive spent so much already, another Boxer for spares would be ideal. Will keep you posted of my progress or otherwise. yours Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of these, purchased last year and it's been reliable so far (3000 miles with me, 38k total) reading through the thread there's mention of mains surge protection being important to protect the inverter when charging; what should I be shopping for, there's a bewildering array of options and I've got no idea what I need?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of these, purchased last year and it's been reliable so far<snip>
Well that jinxed it; it's stopped charging. plug in, the charging message appears on the display and the red light comes on, followed by a double clunk from the battery box area, but no charging amps. Any suggestions for where to start, what's most likely to be the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's the most common endemic problem with these(aside from cheesy build quality and no manufacturer support)? The 12V battery and everything that it drives. I charged up the aux battery to eliminate it from my inquiries and charging of the main battery resumed as per normal. Lesson (re)learned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone, we are new here, and we do have a Peugeot partner tepee full electric vehicle which is from allied electric, or allied vehicles VB as it is known now,
We have posted a reply to someone on here that had a Peugeot partner tepee for sale but for spares or repair, and only had 16k in the clock, but looking at the post it was 6 months ago, so it may have been sold by now.
If not we are interested for parts for ours.
We are new to this, and we like our Peugeot partner, but any information on how to upgrade it, would be great

We are currently getting a cable made for us, so we can use the charge points up and down the country, commando plug at one end(for the car) and type 2 on the other end, as most points have type 2 available.

Is it possible to get the charger changed??
So the batteries could be charged much quicker?? Say in the rapid points??
As I understand lifepo4 VB batteries can be charged at most rates slow fast and rapid.
It's just the charger that's holding the charging rate back

Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks very much indeed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Normal operation.
When driving the DC to DC is powered by the main pack and is brought on line once the pack is live, ie ign turned and the vehicle has powered up.
The 12v battery is heavily used and often struggles to deliver the required load in normal conditions. The worst load being the hydraulic power steering.
When charging the vehicle, the main pack is charged, but the 12v is barely touched having just a small 12v power supply to make sure there is enough 12v supply to run the main battery pack systems. Its less than 5 amps and is often set not much above 12v. It wont charge a low level of charge 12v battery.
This means if the vehicle is then left unplugged the 12v will continue to be used by the Vehicle systems, (Radio central locking etc) as well as the BMS etc. This meanss the 12v will get flat over a few days if not used.
I have suggested to people that they use a separate 12v charger to ensure the 12v is charged when the vehicle is charged.
On an expert I am working on I have installed a system (Used it on other EVs before) that monitors the 12v battery and when it hits 12.2 v (Ideal for least sulphation, so Im told) for 20 seconds (allows central locking to dip the voltage and recover) it turns on the main system, and therefore the DC to DC for two hours. It is disabled by cycling the Ignswitch before using the vehicle. It does need some extra control added to turn off the hydraulic power steering pump which is currently running with no load, not a big deal but wasting power and an annoying noise.
A good condition and adequately sized 12v battery is vital to these vehicles. You probably have a problem with the 12v battery . Keep the meter on the 12v through the turn on cycle and see how it drops . It may be going just too low when initially loaded.
12v supply is really important to these vehicles, and the simple addition of an extra 12v charger does make a difference.
Also check the voltage of the 12v when the systems are up and running, often this is not really set high enough and is loafing just over 13v, ie not really charging , which will drop heavily when using the steering and lights etc.Do check the 12v battery voltage, and see what its doing.
Hi there we are new to the ev scene and we also have one of the allied electric Peugeot partner tepee converted vehicles.
Ours has done 57k miles and is running well, we bought it in may, and have added another 1450 miles onto it, had a hiccup after first 3 days, but took it to a auto electrician and he found a corroded wire under the car,as the 12v guage want going above 12.4v and dropping instead of rising, he replaced the wire from one end to the other, and all is well, we are looking at getting a cable made for us to charge on the network charging up and down the country.
And also when we got the car it was lovely and quite,and after a couple of weeks, it's developed an annoying electric whine, and we seem to think it's coming from the electric power steering pump.
Does anyone know if there is a replacement we can buy, that is maybe more efficient?? And doesn't whip off 70amps of the 12v battery??

And obviously one that is quiet would be great.

Any information would be really appreciated

Thanks very much indeed
Hope to hear from you soon
Kindest regards Andrew and Donald

·
Registered
26 Posts
Normal operation.
When driving the DC to DC is powered by the main pack and is brought on line once the pack is live, ie ign turned and the vehicle has powered up.
The 12v battery is heavily used and often struggles to deliver the required load in normal conditions. The worst load being the hydraulic power steering.
When charging the vehicle, the main pack is charged, but the 12v is barely touched having just a small 12v power supply to make sure there is enough 12v supply to run the main battery pack systems. Its less than 5 amps and is often set not much above 12v. It wont charge a low level of charge 12v battery.
This means if the vehicle is then left unplugged the 12v will continue to be used by the Vehicle systems, (Radio central locking etc) as well as the BMS etc. This meanss the 12v will get flat over a few days if not used.
I have suggested to people that they use a separate 12v charger to ensure the 12v is charged when the vehicle is charged.
On an expert I am working on I have installed a system (Used it on other EVs before) that monitors the 12v battery and when it hits 12.2 v (Ideal for least sulphation, so Im told) for 20 seconds (allows central locking to dip the voltage and recover) it turns on the main system, and therefore the DC to DC for two hours. It is disabled by cycling the Ignswitch before using the vehicle. It does need some extra control added to turn off the hydraulic power steering pump which is currently running with no load, not a big deal but wasting power and an annoying noise.
A good condition and adequately sized 12v battery is vital to these vehicles. You probably have a problem with the 12v battery . Keep the meter on the 12v through the turn on cycle and see how it drops . It may be going just too low when initially loaded.
12v supply is really important to these vehicles, and the simple addition of an extra 12v charger does make a difference.
Also check the voltage of the 12v when the systems are up and running, often this is not really set high enough and is loafing just over 13v, ie not really charging , which will drop heavily when using the steering and lights etc.Do check the 12v battery voltage, and see what its doing.
Hi there we are new to the ev scene and we also have one of the allied electric Peugeot partner tepee converted vehicles.
Ours has done 57k miles and is running well, we bought it in may, and have added another 1450 miles onto it, had a hiccup after first 3 days, but took it to a auto electrician and he found a corroded wire under the car,as the 12v guage want going above 12.4v and dropping instead of rising, he replaced the wire from one end to the other, and all is well, we are looking at getting a cable made for us to charge on the network charging up and down the country.
And also when we got the car it was lovely and quite,and after a couple of weeks, it's developed an annoying electric whine, and we seem to think it's coming from the electric power steering pump.
Does anyone know if there is a replacement we can buy, that is maybe more efficient?? And doesn't whip off 70amps of the 12v battery??

And obviously one that is quiet would be great.

Any information would be really appreciated

Thanks very much indeed
Hope to hear from you soon
Kindest regards Andrew and Donald

·
Registered
26 Posts
View attachment 85433
Well my little old tepee made it to 50k!! Glad the temperature is starting to rise again. No fun driving this car at low temps, the cells have no stamina and the voltage drops fast when I exceed 100 amps. Strangely I still get roughly the same distance per percentage used but I don't go below 35% as cell voltage starts to drop dangerously low uphills. Still sufficient for my everyday commute so will be interesting to see how much more mileage is in the pack. Haven't got a chance to plug in a laptop and check readings in a while but will do so soon now that outside temperatures seems to be a bit higher. Out of interest has anyone put up much higher mileage than this on any of the Allied vehicles?
Hello there falcon.

We are new here,and also have a Peugeot partner tepee full electric vehicle converted by allied electric
And it has done 57,964 miles.
We have the first drivers quick start guide from allied electric,and in that it gives information on how to charge the car if it has been standing for a while,and gives advice on how to balance the batteries, by running the car 5 miles, then recharge fully,then drive 10 miles, then recharge fully
Then 15 miles then recharge fully
Then 20 miles then recharge fully
And so on.
We have done that and seem to be ok with the battery.
Had a hiccup with the 12v system,but sorted out now.
It was a corroded wire.
Just want to know more about the vehicle, and if anyone has charged on 3 phase,and if so what comes up on the screen while it's charging?

Thank you very much indeed kindest regards to everyone
Donald and Andrew
Any information on these vehicles would be great.
Thank you very much indeed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Andrew and Donald, as you were interested in that Partner Teepee, you may like to know that there's another one for sale:

I would imagine that one offered 5 months ago has sold by now. However there is another one for sale:
PEUGEOT PARTNER TEPEE 100% ELECTRIC CAR READ DESCRIPTION!!!!!!!!! | eBay
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for PEUGEOT PARTNER TEPEE 100% ELECTRIC CAR READ DESCRIPTION!!!!!!!!! at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
www.ebay.co.uk

However, on this one the batteries are missing....!

( No connection to the Advertiser.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,Eddie
Thank you very much for the information, I shall have a look at it, no batteries tho? Well least VB the rest of the parts and car should be ok I hope, yes 5 months ago is a while really, we was hoping hahaha
If you here of any more, or anyone else does, please let us know.
Thank you very much indeed

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a spreadsheet containing the registration numbers of all the Allied Electric Boxers, Experts, Teepees etc. that were owned by Glasgow City Council at the FOI website:

The filename is GCC Motor Vehicles List.xls

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you very much for that,
If anyone hears of any for sale, or knows of any for sale, we would be very grateful indeed.
I heard that there was 100 made from allied electric,not sure if that's correct or not,
We don't mind if it's a partner van, or the partner tepee
Thanks everyone,,
I am in the process of getting a new lead to charge it at the charge points up and down the country.
When it's done I will let you know how it is.
Thanks again

461 - 480 of 510 Posts