Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the lockdown my unused car has been constantly plugged into my charger at home.
The car charging is set to start 12:30 each morning as I use Octopus Go. The charge is set to the minimum of 50%. Sentry mode is not on. I don’t use any apps to check on the car.
Each day on average the car is taking 3.3kWh of charge to get back to 50%. This is from my smart meter records. Seems a lot for just keeping the battery topped up and in good health.
I would be interested if any one else has any data for battery discharge to compare.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is definitely way too much phantom drain. Have you checked to see if cabin overheat protection is on?

My Model 3 loses less than 1% per day, in fact it was sitting on 60% for three days before it finally ticked down to 59%.

Leave it unplugged overnight and go by the onboard battery rather than from your smart charger. It's possible that your smart charger is incorrect.

·
Registered
16,741 Posts
It's probably pre-conditioning the car if you have the charge timer set.

Just leave it unplugged.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is definitely way too much phantom drain. Have you checked to see if cabin overheat protection is on?

My Model 3 loses less than 1% per day, in fact it was sitting on 60% for three days before it finally ticked down to 59%.

Leave it unplugged overnight and go by the onboard battery rather than from your smart charger. It's possible that your smart charger is incorrect.
Hi Odinias,
Thanks for your suggestions. I can confirm I don’t have cabin overheat protection on.
I’m not sure how unplugging the car would help, maybe you can explain?
I don’t have a smart charger which gives me the kWh used, the data is from my smart meter and a separate meter I have fitted on the charger supply. They both correlate to the usage I have given.
Your battery drain is fantastically low. Let’s see if anyone else has a similar low figure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have Sentry Mode on?
Hi, as mentioned in the OP I don’t have Sentry mode on. It still does not work In my M3, even after the most recent software upgrade and formatting the USB in the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's probably pre-conditioning the car if you have the charge timer set.

Just leave it unplugged.
Interesting I assume you mean the battery is being pre-conditioned before charging. Unplugging is the sensible thing to try for a couple of days and I’ll give is a go to see what happens.

·
Registered
16,741 Posts
Interesting I assume you mean the battery is being pre-conditioned before charging. Unplugging is the sensible thing to try for a couple of days and I’ll give is a go to see what happens.
Mine tells me that it will pre-condition the cabin ready for departure. It probably thinks you’re leaving at a certain time and gets everything ready to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine tells me that it will pre-condition the cabin ready for departure. It probably thinks you’re leaving at a certain time and gets everything ready to go.

View attachment 130890
My car is set to start charging at 12:30 and has the charge limit currently set at the minimum of 50%. This is all set in the car. It should not be conditioning the interior of the car at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
FYI - I’m not sure this helps the discussion, but I was struck by the fact that I’m also losing 3.3kWh per day as well (according to the Teslafi app, based on the car‘s charge levels). However, in my case I have Sentry Mode on, and Teslafi polls the car as well. I also have it plugged in and charging from 12.30am.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would it help to not have a start time. I follow a similar regime to you, 50%, plugged in as soon as I arrive home and I only loose around 1% per day.

1% at full rate may be less than 3% night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it help to not have a start time. I follow a similar regime to you, 50%, plugged in as soon as I arrive home and I only loose around 1% per day.

1% at full rate may be less than 3% night.
I don’t think that would make any difference, but willing to explore it. When you say you plug in as soon as you arrive home, do you mean you have had a trip out in the car and when you arrive home you just put it on to charge upto 50%?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If absolutely everything is off and there's definitely nothing obvious that is draining the battery then the next best thing to do is to contact the Tesla engineers via the app. It's not normal for it to phantom drain 3.3kwh per 24 hours. That equates to 4.4% (assuming you have the Long Range model of 75kwh capacity). Something is going on in the system background or your car isn't going to a deep sleep when you leave it. Tesla should be able to remotely diagnose the problem and fix it... hopefully.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If absolutely everything is off and there's definitely nothing obvious that is draining the battery then the next best thing to do is to contact the Tesla engineers via the app. It's not normal for it to phantom drain 3.3kwh per 24 hours. That equates to 4.4% (assuming you have the Long Range model of 75kwh capacity). Something is going on in the system background or your car isn't going to a deep sleep when you leave it. Tesla should be able to remotely diagnose the problem and fix it... hopefully.
I have unplugged the car and made sure nothing is on. I’m planning to leave it for the rest of this week. I have made sure I have logged out of the Tesla app and Stats which I do have on my phone. That should leave it to go into deep sleep and then I can see what it has used.
if still near 3kWh each day it will be a call to the service team.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just read this. I may have missed it but didn't see stats mentioned before. I'm 90% sure this is your problem, it is stopping your car from going to sleep. I had the same issue with Teslafi until I tweaked the settings. I've seen many complain of the same issue using Stats and I'm unaware of a fix for the problem with Stats.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just an update for everyone.
On Monday I unplugged the car, double checked that everything has been switched off and logged out of the Stats app.
I’ve not been in the car nor looked at the Tesla app for a full 3 days.
Today, 3 full days later, I have checked the car by waking it up from a deep sleep. It has dropped from 50% (115 miles) to 49% (112 miles).
Only lost 3 miles or 1.3% of battery. This is a Std plus so only equivalent to approx. 0.7kWh.
Previously it was using 3kWh a day as described in the original post.
A massive difference.
This suggests that either having the car constantly plugged in or not logging out of the Stats app did not allow the car to go into a deep sleep. Maybe it was a combination of both?
My next test is to plug in again, let the car go into a deep sleep, and not log into Stats.
More to follow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My money is on the stats app. If plugged in there may be some housekeeping the car does which may use a little but I doubt it would be the kind of numbers you are seeing.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,741 Posts
Did you check if the auto pre-conditioning was set in the car?

This will activate if the car is plugged in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts