Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m asking this question on behalf of a neighbour who has an i3.

On several occasions he has returned to his vehicle to find the passenger’s window fully open. As this has happened more than once, he is double checking all the windows are closed before he leaves the car. Nonetheless he has come back to find it open again.

Any ideas what is causing this and any fixes?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,085 Posts
I had this happen on a Vauxhall Corsa many years ago. In my case it was due to electrics within the door that got wet due to bad waterproofing. It got sorted out under warranty. After going through a car wash you could even hear a bit of water splashing around inside the door when you opened or closed it.

Lock the car, walk away for more than 10 minutes and you can guarantee you'd return to the passenger window all the way down, welcoming in all the rain water, falling leaves and a range of insects.

I don't think this is a thing on the i3, but just to be sure there's no shortcut on the key fob to open the windows? I remember on a car I've hired before (Jeep, maybe?) you press the unlock button twice and every window on the car stupidly rolled down, with no button to reverse that action.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Total opening / closure is standard on a lot of BMW but as the name implies it opens/closes all windows. The fault sounds like a dodgy switch or failure in the alarm system. To diagnose this disconnect the drivers and passengers door switches one at a time, lock the car and see what happens.
Edited to make sense, only do one door lock at a time. It's mostly likely the drivers side and may be due to damp. Does the owner jet wash the car or take it to "hand" car washes where that's done?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
500 Posts
Yes, I've had the car open both windows on occasions but that's almost always because a key got pressed accidentally. (Really don't see why these key fobs have to be such strong transmitters!) A single window down and the car still locked does imply a faulty window controller.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yes, I've had the car open both windows on occasions but that's almost always because a key got pressed accidentally. (Really don't see why these key fobs have to be such strong transmitters!) A single window down and the car still locked does imply a faulty window controller.
Me too. I have learnt to avoid pressing the wrong part of the key fob.

i3 has a bonnet release button on the key fob as well for more variety in surprises.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
500 Posts
Me too. I have learnt to avoid pressing the wrong part of the key fob.

i3 has a bonnet release button on the key fob as well for more variety in surprises.
I wound up buying a small case for the key which makes it very slightly less easy to accidentally press. They really should come with accidental keypress protection by default, designed into the key. The "unlock" part of the i keys is right on the edge and raised relative to the rest of the key, it's a recipe for accidental opening if ever I saw one. And yet the "lock" key is the big round recessed BMW badge. Nuts. They should have been swapped around..!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've returned to the car in our garage and found both windows fully or partially open - due to pressing the key buttons while in my pocket. I think the key fob design is the worst of any car I've driven since remote central locking became popular - it's too easy to press the buttons accidentally.

As you've only found one window open it suggests a problem with the window control - possibly water ingress as described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts