Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Donald

Sadly the Ampera is out of the mix due to not being able to tow anything.

I should have said that above.

Basically, since lockdown 1, we both work from home and this will be the case more often than not post pandemic too, as our employer has embraced home working going forward.

We’ve 2 two EV’s sat on the drive (Leaf 24 and Soul 30), and they can go weeks without being used. Even when they are used, it’s short runs. We also have a CRV for towing a trailer for holidays. That is SORN’d.

1 PHEV, with towing ability for a small camping trailer, would probably tick all the boxes of the current 3 vehicles. We would rarely go out of PHEV range, but if the engine started to run the heater that would mean in winter we would be using fuel and don’t want that to make that backwards move.

There are some EV’s that could fulfil this, or are coming soon, but they are out of budget and it is hard to justify mega bucks on a car that will do so few miles.

I know just keeping the Honda would make most financial sense, but I’m applying man maths, not wanting a manual ICE again!

·
2quidforhalfanhour
348 Posts
Add up the total costs of running 3 cars and you'd be surprised how much it will be. Include depreciation on all 3.
Might give you leeway to afford something you think you can't at first glance.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hi all

Are there any PHEV’s that can run in EV mode when the heater and / or AC is switched on please?

I know the Kia, Hyundai and MG PHEV’s all bring the engine in to use the heater. But are there any where that is not the case?

thanks
Golf GTE. Heating and AC both work when running in electric mode. And it can tow :) .

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was going to say check out the Prius Plugin because that has an electric heat pump, but also appears it has zero towing capability.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
643 Posts
Hi all

Are there any PHEV’s that can run in EV mode when the heater and / or AC is switched on please?

I know the Kia, Hyundai and MG PHEV’s all bring the engine in to use the heater. But are there any where that is not the case?

thanks
Almost every PHEV that’s capable of am doing this almost unilaterally does so by sacrificing at least 50% of the electric range.

My BMW 225xe (which is exactly the same car under the skin as the countryman mentioned above) was lucky to cover 8 miles on pure electric on a full charge if you wanted to be warm in winter.

The newest ones batteries are a little bigger you might get circa 14 miles with these with heat on.

As far as I’m aware they all use resistive heaters and not heat pumps.

PHEV’s are compromised by design so they are of a jack of all trades and a master of none, I traded in a Toyota hybrid for my PHEV and was disappointed that it worked out a lot more expensive to run.

I guess it depends on how you use a car and what sort of daily milage you do as to the suitability of any car.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Golf GTE can tow 1500 kg. As much as an Outlander PHEV.
Electric mode works up to 80mph before the engine comes in. Heating is electric unless there is no charge left.
Not towed anything that big, but mine tows a boat and trailer with an all up weight around 400kg very happily.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
Not towed anything that big, but mine tows a boat and trailer with an all up weight around 400kg very happily.
I never towed with mine at all. However we had a full size two berth caravan that I used to tow happily with my 1600 diesel Focus (caravan weighed 1180kg). You had to drive it of course. None of your automatic transmissions.

Various people in the caravan clubs had Golf GTEs and found them great tow cars using the GTE mode.

You don't need a big 4x4 to tow a small caravan.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I understand some (but not all) of the Mitsubishi Outlander models have an electric heater. Might be worth a look - and they can tow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most phev should have an aux electric heater, as they offer pre-heating. This is in addition to the engine heater.
but as mentioned above, it will chew through a small phev battery very quickly, as the heaters are usually powerful 3-4KW.
(Which means 25-50% Range reduction on our 2018 330e without preheating while plugged in - lucky to get 10 miles at this time of year even with preheating)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
Slightly off topic, but if the Ampera isn't a PHEV what is it?
Many would say it’s more correctly described as an E-REV, or Electric Range Extended Vehicle.

That’s because it always outputs drive via the electric motor and the engine is used to recharge the battery when required.

For the purposes of this discussion though, it’s a PHEV, and regardless of whether it uses the battery or engine to provide final drive I don’t see much advantage either way to be honest.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts