Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
Hi, the attached pic shows that it is possible even in the depths of winter in Northern Ireland to get a "free" charge courtesy of the sun... the blue trace shows my Outlander making hay while the sun shines on my 20kWp solar array on the 20th January.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
WOW!

20kWp... you don't just have solar panels... you have a small power station!

Not the case for most solar panel owners though :(

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi, the attached pic shows that it is possible even in the depths of winter in Northern Ireland to get a "free" charge courtesy of the sun... the blue trace shows my Outlander making hay while the sun shines on my 20kWp solar array on the 20th January.
Good work! However most people don't have space on their roof for 80 odd panels :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!

20kWp... you don't just have solar panels... you have a small power station!

Not the case for most solar panel owners though :(
True enough... I only got my Outlander in November so this day was quite a novelty to me... PV specific outputs in Plymouth are much higher! Normally I charge overnight on the cheap(er) tariff of around 9p/kWh.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've made some drawings a few months ago to come up with an optimal design for a house with solar panels, what I drew was a wedge form with the lowest side pointing south. Maybe someday…

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you in Plymouth? Me too!

If you fancy a coffee sometime drop me a PM :)
Er, no. Hence my remark about being in Northern Ireland in my original post ;-) I noticed you're in Plymouth according to your profile. Hence my remark about PV outputs being much better where you are!
OEM works for me although I am not a programmer so I only scratch the surface of its capabilities and some of its idiosyncrasies irk me!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Lol! Sorry! I didn't pick up on the Northern Ireland thing. I just saw Plymouth and got all excited!

Yes open energy monitor can be rather difficult to set up and understand especially as the documentation is not the best.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, today was a lovely sunny day in Finchley anyway. I don't expect to ever get enough consistent power in the day to charge the PHEV from my 19 panel system but I should get close in the middle months. I'm hoping to get maybe 3.5kW out of 4.75kW given the three aspects, but hey :)

2016-02-16 (1).png

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made 19.2 kwh yesterday with a peak production of 3.2wk. That's in Scotland in Feb!

(4kw system, 16 panels, South facing, shade free roof at 35 degrees - so optimum conditions!)
That's exceptional output. Yesterday was an excellent sunny day here in Northern Ireland too but my 20 kWp system "only" managed 54.6 kWh. If I'd achieved your efficiency it would have been closer to 100kWh. My system is also south facing but lower pitch which works against me in the winter months, as does morning and evening shading which isn't an issue in the summer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It was my personal best production day. Not quite reachin peak performance but none the less I was delighted with it. Only installed system in Nov so not much to compare it to. Friend up the road only made 8kwh but he's got a lot of shading and another friend nearby with south facing but steeper pitch made 16kwh. I'm lucky that I have optimum conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was my personal best production day. Not quite reachin peak performance but none the less I was delighted with it. Only installed system in Nov so not much to compare it to. Friend up the road only made 8kwh but he's got a lot of shading and another friend nearby with south facing but steeper pitch made 16kwh. I'm lucky that I have optimum conditions.
Yesterday was my best February day, and my system's been in for a year and a half. Peak summer output is about 120kWh/day. It would be interesting to see what difference the pitch makes in mid summer but my 15 degrees *should* work to my advantage then. If you get 6 times your rated kWp of 4kW ie. 24kWh in a day in June / July then you have a very good system indeed! Of course my summer output is largely wasted as I have less need for it so I probably should have optimised my system for winter output! My installer persuaded me otherwise. Today's output was a paltry 7.7kWh, a far cry from Finchley!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yesterday was the first ever fully sunny day in my part of redacted since installation on Oct 8th. The highest production date for me was the 9th Oct coincidentally at 12.8kWh while yesterday was 2nd highest. My three aspects will be "interesting" to watch over the summer months as the 6 NW panels get no sun at all right now but the roof that is the back of the house gets lots of summer evening sun and my "plan" (I use the term loosely, hence the quotes) was to hope that I get 1kWh+ through the evenings. May not seem much, but it's pretty much the house evening consumption apart from the kitchen.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Every single panel makes a difference, we get really good output this time of year, we have a 4kw system and we can get 1.5kw this time of year it would be more if we were south facing but we are split e/w, in the summer we get peaks of 2.4kw which is goof from a split, best daily output so far was 26kwh and to think people still say you need to have a south facing roof else its not worth it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts