Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have economy 7 so I charge the car for 8 hours every night using the timer and lately the charge is only reaching 15 miles.
The car is 5 years old so I thought the batteries were wearing out but this week i had used all the charge so I put the car on charge during the day for about 3 hours and when I went to use again it had a full charge of 25 miles.
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,446 Posts
Mitsubishi Outlander
With PHEVs there are so many factors that can switch car from electric to ICE stuck as use of heating or AC.

Outlander also has dodgy BMS that drops capacity rapidly.. Maybe you somehow reset it.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I suspect you have a 12 kWh battery, so don't expect to get huge range. How long have you owned & driven this car? It's still pretty wintery conditions & temperatures, and my Ampy which gets me 45 miles in summer is usually down to about 35 at best in winter, as heating, damp roads etc take their toll. If the ambient temperature is lower, batteries can't store as much leccy to begin with, so the Battery Management System & car's computer might be hiding this small detail, for all we know. Lots of short stop-start trips is worse for range than one long steady one, and the predicted range us usually based on a best-guess by the computer based on your recent trips. Fast driving is bad for efficiency, as your car has the aerodynamics of a brick, sadly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have owned this car for 5 years and realise in winter the electric range reduces but the temp is mild so should get charged to about 18 to 20 miles.
What I don’t understand is the charge I’m getting overnight (8hours) is only 14 to 15 miles in mild temperatures.
I then charged it from zero miles during the same day for only 3 hours and got 25 miles.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Possibly needing a full 100% charge to let the BMS have plenty of time to do a full cell balance? But I'm clutching at straws now. Does sound a bit like the bug? suggested above...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have economy 7 so I charge the car for 8 hours every night using the timer and lately the charge is only reaching 15 miles.
The car is 5 years old so I thought the batteries were wearing out but this week i had used all the charge so I put the car on charge during the day for about 3 hours and when I went to use again it had a full charge of 25 miles.
Does anyone have any idea why this would happen.
Are you sure that it is charging fully overnight? When you charged during the day you obviously turned the timer off, so the car got a full charge.
Do you have the 'charge to full' switch turned on in your settings? It sounds to me that for some reason the overnight charge is not actually running for the times that you set. It should only take about 3 hours to charge, so eight hours should be more than enough.
Are you using the timer in the car or a timer on your charge point?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts