Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the view on PHEV taxis blocking charge points when BEVs need a charge?
I arrived at one of the new free to use PodPoint rapids at a Lidl in Bristol having driven from Southampton and was wanting to make the 100-mile return journey. A Leaf taxi was using the Chademo and a Mercedes PHEV was using the type 2. Although the CCS I needed was free, the charge stand only supported two charge sessions at a time.
The Leaf taxi soon left but a Mitsibushi Outlander arrived and started to use the Chademo. Then another taxi arrived and collected the driver with the Mercedes who said, 'I'm off for lunch, see you in 40 minutes!' and before I could say anything he was off. He'd left his car plugged into the type 2 and so the CCS was still unavailable. Having believed the Mercedes taxi would be leaving with the Leaf, I'd said the Outlander could plug into the Chademo while I waited for the Mercedes so I couldn't really ask him to unplug so I could use the CCS. Besides, he'd walked off into the store.
Apart from the age-old discussion of PHEVs blocking BEVs, there is now another to be had concerning taxis blocking chargers to take free electricity to use in their business and for which they then take payment for.
What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
My first thought is, Southampton has plenty of other CCS rapids, so I’d have been inclined to drive to another and charge rather than wait around.

As for the Taxi blocking thing, I’m afraid this sort of behaviour crops up wherever there is a ‘free’ resource.

I do think there is something wrong with a taxi taking power from and blocking access to a free to use resource put in by the land/business owners, so they can increase profits in their own business.

Unfortunately, unless there is something to physically stop them, they are penalised, or it becomes a waste of time financially, I don’t see it stopping.

Selfish use of such chargers will spoil it for everybody else ultimately.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Bristol, not Southampton.
Oops, so it was!

Points the the same though. I rapid charged twice in Bristol earlier this week.

If it’s the Lidl in Halls Rd, then it’s for customers only anyway, probably the same as all of them. Enforcing it is another matter of course!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There is only one way to dissuade people from making use of free charging and that is to apply a tariff; time restrictions, and penalties. That said, there is no single tariff yet devised that will suit both BEV and PHEV owners. Most options have been tried and, in the eyes of many, failed. If you were running a fleet of EV taxis and some fool was to offer free charging, what would you do?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,527 Posts
If chargers are free people will use them even if they really dont need to, really odd that the Merc driver pays for a taxi to save a bit of money charging, probably more about parking than charging.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Is this the usual problem of charging which is free at the point of use?
Increasingly so, as more EVs hit the roads. This is why a couple of FOC Charging posts at supermarkets etc makes little sense IMHO. I confess that I am guilty of taking a free charge when it is available, but I wouldn’t chose a particular supermarket just for a few free kWhs. A bank of discounted Rapids would attract more customers (minimum store spend) to a particular store; however, Rapids are expensive to commission and to maintain which is why they tend to be installed in partnership with a commercial charging provider.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The use of the vehicle or type of vehicle charging is irrelevant, it is only when the vehicle is not charging that is concern. However "free" is never a good idea, just imagine what would happen if petrol was free.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a conversation with a fellow leaf driver today at an EH rapid. Needed a quick splash and dash (10mins), he was on a free vend point which was also the only CCS rapid. He asked if I wanted to get on it as he was going to be leaving, I had already started my charge so could not see the point in stopping charge and moving my car for £1.50 free leccy. Told him the rapid was also the only CCS point and I would only use free vend there and stay with my car (he hadn't) in case a CCS equipped ev turned up. He admitted to being unaware of this and I hope he will be more understanding of others next time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Apart from the age-old discussion of PHEVs blocking BEVs, there is now another to be had concerning taxis blocking chargers to take free electricity to use in their business and for which they then take payment for.
Happened to call at Lidl earlier and there was a black cab taxi there on the Rapid. Left 20 mins later and he was still there. I suppose if they haven't got any jobs on, they will camp out at the Lidl's - why wouldn't they to reduce their fuel costs to zero? The only way this will change is if there is a cost to charge which is reimbursed with an store spend. Even then, I wouldn't hold much hope as they would just buy a minimum spend of shopping in order to charge. I guess nobody really thought that electric taxis could have such a profound impact on charging stations.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think the idea of a min spend in store sounds like good starting point, a bit like IKEA did with ecotricity, to get a free charge you have to spend money in the store, if not then a nominal amount for charging is charged, that should discourage free loaders ...

·
The best there is at what I do
10,527 Posts
Popped into Ikea earlier and both bays were vacant even though the pump was on FV, first time I've been there and found both bays empty so I guess the withdrawal of the discount is having an effect, when I came out after polishing off a plate of meatballs there was an Outlander in the other bay so I started the charge for them, hope they were happy to return to a fully charged car.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts