Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be a previous post on this but I'd like to gain current opinions on this subject:

Although PHEVs are electric and a step in the right direction for the future of sustainable motoring, I can't help but feel a little annoyed when I arrive at a charging station to find no space and 1 or all of the existing users are PHEVs. Those of us with fully electric cars have made the commitment to go fully electric, and we need to charge our cars. Those with PHEVs are basically driving combustion cars with a silly (subjective I know) 10-30 mile range, therefore we should have some sort of priority, perhaps.

Does anyone else share this view?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It could be a PHEV with an empty battery, or a BEV which doesn't really need to top up but is topping up anyway, or a BEV/PHEV which is full but has been left by the owner while they go off to do something.

Ultimately, like any scarce service or resource, it needs the owner/operator to set the usage conditions and prices to ensure it's used efficiently, and/or add extra capacity.

If it needs reserving purely for one group of users who need it more than others, then logically they should be willing to pay more to use it, so it needs the prices raising to price out those who don't really need to use it. And as a positive side effect, with higher prices and higher revenues, it's more likely that additional units will be installed to add capacity.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There may be a previous post on this but I'd like to gain current opinions on this subject:

Although PHEVs are electric and a step in the right direction for the future of sustainable motoring, I can't help but feel a little annoyed when I arrive at a charging station to find no space and 1 or all of the existing users are PHEVs. Those of us with fully electric cars have made the commitment to go fully electric, and we need to charge our cars. Those with PHEVs are basically driving combustion cars with a silly (subjective I know) 10-30 mile range, therefore we should have some sort of priority, perhaps.

Does anyone else share this view?
Yeah, but I got the impression I was in a small minority here. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simple solution. £15 initial charge: first 50kWhs free.
Yes I can see that working, provided the charge speed is 43kw+, though of course it would still only favour those staying for a reasonable length of time and with a larger battery capacity. My i3 has only 19 or so usable kWh, making this a cost inefficient way to charge. Maybe even just a £5 initial charge would cure the 'issue', as I should add I've only observed this occurence at the free chargers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be a PHEV with an empty battery, or a BEV which doesn't really need to top up but is topping up anyway, or a BEV/PHEV which is full but has been left by the owner while they go off to do something.

Ultimately, like any scarce service or resource, it needs the owner/operator to set the usage conditions and prices to ensure it's used efficiently, and/or add extra capacity.

If it needs reserving purely for one group of users who need it more than others, then logically they should be willing to pay more to use it, so it needs the prices raising to price out those who don't really need to use it. And as a positive side effect, with higher prices and higher revenues, it's more likely that additional units will be installed to add capacity.
A good point well made, see my response to Lexdens comment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree (I'm with?) @WithEthyl on this. It's for everyone or not at all. I don't want a two tier system. Yes, while I'd love everyone to go full EV, it doesn't work for all drivers right now or they are understandably still sceptical. We should allow them to be and people should be congratulated and welcomed having moved in the right direction.

If we all end up as a bunch of self righteous, pompous, dogmatic "EV or nothing" evangelists, then I fear we will do more damage than good.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree (I'm with?) @WithEthyl on this. It's for everyone or not at all. I don't want a two tier system. Yes, while I'd love everyone to go full EV, it doesn't work for all drivers right now or they are understandably still sceptical. We should allow them to be and people should be congratulated and welcomed having moved in the right direction.

If we all end up as a bunch of self righteous, pompous, dogmatic "EV or nothing" evangelists, then I fear we will do more damage than good.

:)
Again, a good point well made! Let us hope more 'bays' are added to existing and new charging stations to cope..

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yes I can see that working, provided the charge speed is 43kw+, though of course it would still only favour those staying for a reasonable length of time and with a larger battery capacity. My i3 has only 19 or so usable kWh, making this a cost inefficient way to charge. Maybe even just a £5 initial charge would cure the 'issue', as I should add I've only observed this occurence at the free chargers.
Nearby garden centre has gone partway to adopting your solution. You have to buy a £5 token to operate one of their two chargers for an hour. Only a 7Kw charger though!

Never seen anyone using one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It does bother me a little when I see that, especially if it's been parked at said charging post all day despite drawing a minimal amount of power in roughly a hour. But I tolerate it and remind myself the bigger issue is that we don't have enough charge points.

The one thing I don't tolerate is if you have a PHEV and are blocking a rapid charger. If you're in an Outlander for 15-20 minutes with chademo then fair enough I guess, but if you show up with a Golf GTE, plug into AC rapid and then walk off for a few hours, there's a special place in hell reserved for you.

If you have a PHEV (or even BEV) that can't rapid charge, You have no right to be in front of a rapid charger.

If you have a PHEV and need to plug it in somewhere other than home or a dedicated workplace car park all day where its expected, you probably bought the wrong car for your needs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nearby garden centre has gone partway to adopting your solution. You have to buy a £5 token to operate one of their two chargers for an hour. Only a 7Kw charger though!

Never seen anyone using one.
Hmm. Sounds very familiar. Never seen anyone use it, my old man said “you not plugging in” Me “not at that price!” I can only charge at 3.6 and surrounded by free chargers...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
We are talking about 7kW chargers, not rapid chargers right? There is a distinction and I strongly object PHEV on rapid chargers, where it is the sole enabler for long distance EV's, not needed by PHEV. Whereas 7kW chargers are fair for all plug-in cars.

Not enough 7kW chargers is the root cause, as said. Those chargers are designed to be plugged in when you arrive and no real expectation for you to move the car.

But having said that, at work, there's 4 chargers, always 2 PHEV plugged in. Luckily one of those owner is kind enough to move his car when he is able to. Allowing me to top up for 30min over lunch, 20p top-up is all I need to get home comfortably, rather than spending the minimum £1.50 at Polar rapids. Some, especially PHEV owners, would say I got the wrong car for my commute if I can't make it home in winter.

But (so many buts ;) ) it's a 7kW charger in a car park, it's been used as it was designed, charging while parked. Moving your car after charging is not required. End of the day, you can always rely on a quick splash-dash at a rapid......... right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmm. Saying the carpark is being used as designed sounds a bit disingenuous to me. There were no PHEV's until about 2012, and I doubt the legislation which set up the charging spots took them into consideration.

PHEV's have engines in lieu of half the battery pack. To say that you won't use the engine and instead want to take up space a BEV may need, seems the height of selfishness to me. It's only free of charge spots a PHEV is going to use anyway, right? :)

1 - 20 of 123 Posts