Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have booked my tickets for Phoenix Nights at Manchester Phones 4U arena next year. M3 1AR
(two words my friend....Falklands.... sorry more Phoenix Nights quotes to follow I hope)

With that out of the way, I wondered if anyone knows of any suitable EV charging - 16amp type 2 would be fine.

polarinstant doesn't show anything nearby.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
Someone more local will chime in, but when I was up there, I parked up at a charger in the burbs and metrolinked into town.

PS 'Slabba', the fat Abba!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not charged in that part of town but try the gmev website.

The gmev/cyc card I got from them seems to work in a few other towns so you may decide it is worth the 10 pound fee to join. I have used mine in Manchester, Birmingham, Herefordshire without any problems.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm all the time looking online first, in the few websites, very often you can survive without using any of your cards. Few times I've been charging in Asdas (mostly CM, which I don't even want to get), using their cards (just need to ask) and "shopping"

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 for the ChargeYourCar/GMEV website which shows several chargers near the arena.
If you buy the ChargeYourCar access card via the GMEV site, it only costs £10 (normally £20). You pay the full amount and then get a refund almost immediately for the additional £10. Make sure you go via the GMEV site, though.
Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You need to talk to the organist, not the monkey grinder. :D

2 x Type 2 GMEV bays managed by CYC, on Blackfriars St right in front of Travellodge are the best bet, and are my 1st choice for the arena. Free to park and a short walk to MEN arena (Or whatever it's called since Phones 4 U went bust). A little further away but still free to park there are 4 x bays on Quay Street. After that, you'll need a mechanical bull that $hit's money to pay for parking in one of Manchester City Councils GMEV bays in the Northern Quarter. But these are limited to I believe 3/4 hours maximum, so maybe not suitable. If you want a rapid charger, there are multiple options, 3 x GMEV run by CYC around the City, 2 x Westway dealers, and if you prefer the wind beneath you wheels, Birch services East & West on the M62 North of Manchester has Ecotricity chargers.

Congratulations on getting tickets! Should be a belting night out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys
Look like Blackfriars st is the best bet - any restrictions on parking duration? (was planning on a meal prior to the show).

Like the Phoenix Nights references, I will pack my type 2 cable in Das Boot and use CYC - Acthung! Das Jackpot...

·
Registered
193 Posts
"How far away are they?"

No restriction on parking on Blackfriars St technically. However the specific wording from Salford Council was, 'Free parking while an electric vehicle is plugged in and charging.' Its getting busy there now, so be prepared for the extra 5 minute walk from Quay St if both bays are occupied.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"How far away are they?"
Just a short update on my trip up to Phoenix nights live.

The traffic around the town centre at 5.30PM was dire, it took me 1 hour to do 2 miles. I had low expectations of finding a parking place, never mind a charging point. Much to my surprise, the first location at Blackfriars St was clear - Plugged in for free charging and free parking, pretty much 5 minutes away from the M.E.N.

I must admit it felt good to be able to park so close, yet avoiding the massive queues on the car parks that I witnessed post show.

One small hiccup - it was the first time I had used the CYC app - it took me ages to work out how to finish the session and release my cable.

Oh and the show - very good and the 'Bolton were barmy, we're on the p**s tonight' featured in the show.

With destination charging - 108 MPG!

Also, Manchester seems quote EV friendly, I spotted 4 or 5 charges just driving out of town.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also, Manchester seems quote EV friendly, I spotted 4 or 5 charges just driving out of town.
Manchester City Council are not very EV friendly at all. Where you parked on Blackfriars St is in Salford, and they are excellent. Like nearly every other North West council in GMEV, in Salford you can park free and charge for as long as required. Across the river in Manchester you must pay to park and bad luck if you need more than three hours charge as the maximum stay is just three hours!

The @CYC app is a little clunky, but isn't it great that they offer it, and that it does work? It's perfect for visitors to the region who don't need a full CYC membership, and with plenty of chargers, it's why the North West is the best place to own an EV in the UK. Public destination charging how it should be. Its much more convenient to leave an event and return to a fully charged car, than to then start faffing around looking for a rapid charger. I tried calling Pod Point to help me out at a 32A post near Hull on Friday, they couldn't do a thing. :rolleyes: So I had to drive into Hull and visit the Nissan dealer, and waste a further 45 minutes at their rapid. Had Pod been nearly as great as CYC I could have been half way home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
...in Salford you can park free and charge for as long as required. Across the river in Manchester you must pay to park and bad luck if you need more than three hours charge as the maximum stay is just three hours!
Not strictly true. Merchants Quay and Exchange Quay points are all limited to 4 hours maximum stay. Both are in Salford.
Still very good and enough for most vehicles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
@happy_red Your right, I had forgotten about that. Quay St is also restricted to 4 hours. Looking at the TROs Blackfriars St is also restricted but the signage hasn't gone up. I must admit I can see the reasoning behind restricting the time. There is a LEAF and a Zoe regularly parked at the Trafford Centre all day, even when not charging. There is no excuse for leaving a fully charged car blocking a charger. I still admire Salford Council for proving free parking while plugged in and charging so close to the City Centre and for creating additional spaces to accommodate the chargers on Blackfriars St.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts