Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any guidance on why my phone might not unlock the car reliabily anymore? Pretty much guaranteed to not work first time and very slow to be recognised after doing a flight mode on /off cycle. Most times I unlock using the remote unlock feature in the app followed by confirm remote unlock each time. If I'm lucky I'm allowed to start the car by the time I sit down but have resorted to carrying the card as backup because sitting being rejected by your own car for 5 minutes feels quite embarrassing.

Car has been rebooted. Phone has been rebooted. Unpaired and re-paired Bluetooth. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app and redone the key pairing. Still not working.

Anyone experiencing similar or know of anything I'm missing? Started a couple of weeks ago and I'm not aware of any software updates on either the phone or the car.

Frustrating

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
My Android phone had a security update today and I noticed when I was out in the car tonight, the phone was not paired with the car for calls, but it opened and allowed me to start it. A two button reboot and all was fine again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
iPhone 12 Pro Max user here, occasionally have the same issue.

I carry the card all the time - I just don't trust the app/phone enough to work every single time.

I feel this is just general instability associated with this sort of tech where it is relying on systems that aren't native to the phone itself. Apple's CarKey may improve things for manufacturers who implement it, but I am guessing that Tesla won't (at least to begin with).

I find there are four things that fix the phone key issue:
  1. Walk near the front of the car, especially near the UK passenger side. I have wondered if Tesla have bias in the Bluetooth hardware that is favouring an American driving position. I tend to approach the car from the UK driver rear and I think the signal (combined with my phone being in my pocket) just isn't strong enough.
  2. Cycle the Bluetooth radio on the phone. I think it sometimes gets stuck with negotiating the connection between car-phone-app and a bluetooth cycle forces it to start from the beginning.
  3. Force-quit the app. I wonder if the app gets itself into a state where it won't listen for a bluetooth connection, or can't respond.
  4. Reboot the car. I have only had to do this once or twice in the last year and a half of having the car.
Of those four, I would say #1 fixes it most often, #2 I end up doing reasonably regularly... sometimes frequently and other times it will go for two months without issue, #3 perhaps every 3 months.

I feel that some of this is down to how Apple controls app execution on the phone, and how Apple will 'sleep' or even quit an app that is running in the background. The odd bug in any of the stack from bluetooth hardware all the way up to the app (let's face it, it is probably the app) and you can't unlock the car.

Bloody annoying when it happens... but still much better than carrying an actual key!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah, I get this problem quite regularly.

It's most annoying when my hands are full and I end up either waiting for 20 seconds for the car to wake up or I resort to fiddling about with my already full hands to get my phone out and unlock it that way.

I have an android Samsung phone, don't know of any real fixes

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's normally very reliable for me, but recently I've had a couple of problems opening the boot, and a couple of problems opening the driver's door when approaching from the rear. It was solved by using the app in both cases. My phone is an iPhone XS Max. More worrying, a few days ago it randomly ceased being the 'phone key', and the app required me to set it up as a key. It was simple enough to do with the card key, but the car recognised it as a different phone (because there were now two iPhone XS Max's set up in the car) - very odd. I have recently started using an Apple Watch app called 'Watch for Tesla', so I'm not sure if that is related to any of these problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It can be pretty slow for me also.
I think phone may have to detect movement. I'm not sure. Sometimes I shake the phone it and the car unlocks. Who knows !

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Never had any issues.. I never have to think about it. I know people who keep their phones in their back pockets are more prone to issues.. bluetooth being a fairly weak signal gets stopped by your body.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My phone case has card holders, key card lives in there. I actually prefer using the card instead of the phone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I unlock the car using the remote unlock button in the app, the phone connects to the car and I can use it to make phone calls via Bluetooth but it will not allow the car to select drive. This is on an Honor 8X that has worked pretty much perfectly as the car key since November 2019 until it didn't ... Work supplied Samsung sends to work fine so it's the Honor phone that has the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts