Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Phone Wireless Charging info required

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  davesul 
#1 ·
Thinking about getting the Google Pixel 5 which has a metal back but is a wireless chargeable phone. It has a small hole filled with plastic on its back so it can use wirelessly charging.
Question is.. if anything metal is put on the charge pad in the Zoe an error message comes up.. any ideas if this may happen with the Pixel 5 phone due to its metal back?

#2 ·
It shouldn't do. Remember your phone is full of metals even if the casing was all plastic or glass. I think the warning is just there if there is unexpected metals that may interfere with wireless charging.

From my brief experience using it though, the wireless charging was very poor. The charge speed was slow and you had to position it quite carefully to get it to charge. If you just drop it down in any position on the mat there was about a 50-50 chance that it would start charging or not.

#3 ·
It shouldn't do. Remember your phone is full of metals even if the casing was all plastic or glass. I think the warning is just there if there is unexpected metals that may interfere with wireless charging.

From my brief experience using it though, the wireless charging was very poor. The charge speed was slow and you had to position it quite carefully to get it to charge. If you just drop it down in any position on the mat there was about a 50-50 chance that it would start charging or not.
Thanks... I've never had a problem. With the Samsung s7 edge it will charge anywhere on the pad...
I've just done an experiment where I've put a metal strip on the back of the phone and put it on charge pad... it conected first time no issues.. when I lifted the phone off the pad but left the metal there the warning message appeared.. so perhaps it doesn't give the warning if it makes a charging circuit with the phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.