Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
off to pick up ours today ordered on Wednesday/Thursday and collecting today. that's blooming
quick.
all updates have been done and are being rechecked at the moment.
happy seems to be the understatement at the moment ?.
thanks to all of you that have answered questions that I have asked on the Fourum so far
no doubt there will be more to come and maybe I can answer some questions in the future

·
Registered
135 Posts
That was quick, I thought mine was quick ordered Monday for collection the following Monday

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very quick, well done!

I ordered my Pimlico Blue Exclusive 3 weeks ago. When I ordered the dealer said the delivery would probably be in May. The day after I ordered the dealer phoned to say that it would be quicker than expected, and the delivery would be "sometime in February". But I've heard nothing from him since!

Presumably the dealer normally gives you quite a bit of notice of the delivery date?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Presumably the dealer normally gives you quite a bit of notice of the delivery date?
You'd think so. Many reports of people getting calls from dealer saying "You know that car you were expecting in a couple of months? Well it arrived yesterday, when are you going to collect it......?"

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My guess is that some of the original 1,000 / 2,000 orders have resulted in some cancellations.
Therefore, jumping people up the list.
I find a lot depends on what colour / model you have chosen as well !.
My dealer said it made no difference to them if I cancelled my order on the day it arrived.
They would be holding on to the car and had customers waiting for my colour choice and spec !.
On the day I collected my car, there was a blue Exclusive in the showroom, they said it was going to a motability customer who was struggling to get approval for some reason.
They expected the car to be offered to the next person on their list of waiting customers.
It’s purely down to luck I think, being in the right place, at the right time !.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My guess is that some of the original 1,000 / 2,000 orders have resulted in some cancellations.
Therefore, jumping people up the list.
I find a lot depends on what colour / model you have chosen as well !.
My dealer said it made no difference to them if I cancelled my order on the day it arrived.
They would be holding on to the car and had customers waiting for my colour choice and spec !.
On the day I collected my car, there was a blue Exclusive in the showroom, they said it was going to a motability customer who was struggling to get approval for some reason.
They expected the car to be offered to the next person on their list of waiting customers.
It’s purely down to luck I think, being in the right place, at the right time !.
Yes, the dealer says I was one of those lucky waiting list people, where one of the original refundable £500 deposit people had changed their minds. My deal is a £1,000 non-cancellable/non-refundable deposit, which is I think the only deal on offer now.

I'm just a little concerned to have had no more updates from him on the "sometime in February" delivery. Hopefully the radio silence isn't tied in with the Chinese issue.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
So, you have been offered a cancelled order that is higher on the list than YOUR original placed order !.
If the car is due in Feb they can usually see it on the system about 2 weeks before it gets delivered.
Our it was that way with my car.
Don’t expect them to ring you every couple of weeks with an update.
I rang my dealer about three weeks before Xmas to see if they had any info regarding my order placed on the 23rd July.
They told me in Nov 19 it would be around Feb 2020.
But, to my surprise, and totally out of the blue, he said :- “It will be here in two weeks”.
Then the week before Xmas I get a call to say :- “Your car is here, when are you coming to collect it”.
I held back on registration until Jan 2020.
If your car arrives in Feb 2020 - Have you considered waited for the new 20 reg on the first of March by any chance ????.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, you have been offered a cancelled order that is higher on the list than YOUR original placed order !.
If the car is due in Feb they can usually see it on the system about 2 weeks before it gets delivered.
Our it was that way with my car.
Don’t expect them to ring you every couple of weeks with an update.
I rang my dealer about three weeks before Xmas to see if they had any info regarding my order placed on the 23rd July.
They told me in Nov 19 it would be around Feb 2020.
But, to my surprise, and totally out of the blue, he said :- “It will be here in two weeks”.
Then the week before Xmas I get a call to say :- “Your car is here, when are you coming to collect it”.
I held back on registration until Jan 2020.
If your car arrives in Feb 2020 - Have you considered waited for the new 20 reg on the first of March by any chance ????.
Had a test drive this last Saturday and loved the car. Phoned the dealer today (Monday) to see what the delivery estimates were today only to be told I could have a blue Exclusive straight away because of a cancelled customer order, "do you want it?" he said..... you can guess the rest! lol

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Had a test drive this last Saturday and loved the car. Phoned the dealer today (Monday) to see what the delivery estimates were today only to be told I could have a blue Exclusive straight away because of a cancelled customer order, "do you want it?" he said..... you can guess the rest! lol
Winner winner, chicken diner !.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so picked it up ? ? in the pouring rain :( is Portsmouth ever sunny? and by the time we started the drive home it was dark. run back was wet dank and dark but the car was brilliant. haven't had the charging cable delivered yet so just to try it out popped down to lidi to try there quick charger and to go through it with the wife. again no problem I found that the kw/mile was 3.0 not a bad start to driving a EV.
did not try to be frugal with the throttle indeed on the way back went to over take a lorry pushed the throttle at the same time the wife goes to take a swig from a drinks bottle. most of the contents leave the bottle and find there way over her face. tried not to pee myself laughing oh well
first run back was 63 miles and using the podpoint quick charger at 23pence per kw worked out at £4,80 fuel wise works out at £9.80.not a bad saveing just cost me a dinner to make up for the drinks incident (but it was worth it lol)

·
Registered
276 Posts
off to pick up ours today ordered on Wednesday/Thursday and collecting today. that's blooming
quick.
all updates have been done and are being rechecked at the moment.
happy seems to be the understatement at the moment ?.
thanks to all of you that have answered questions that I have asked on the Fourum so far
no doubt there will be more to come and maybe I can answer some questions in the future
Excellent. Have you had an EV before?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked mine up on Sunday and I absolutely love it. The acceleration is pretty incredible for such an unassuming car. I reckon in Sport mode, 0-60 is more like 7.5 seconds.
I'm getting used to the bongs but they were grating enough that the first thing I did was to investigate how to turn some of them off. Lane Assist was one of the first to go - turning the sensitivity down made little difference when driving down narrow country lanes. I guess I'll have to do a bong/benefit analysis on each drive before deciding whether to turn it back on again!

I'm slowly getting to know the car and already forming habits that make things slightly less irritating. Like turning off the infotainment system completely (long press of the central button) before switching off the car so the radio doesn't blast on when you next start the motor.

In general though the irritants are (so far) pretty minor, it's a great car for the price. There are so many features, I'm still discovering what else it can do - MG Pilot is next on my list. Also as my first EV, there was a "this is a game changer" moment when I had to make a special journey at midnight to fill my other car ready for the next day. Won't be doing that with this car!

·
Registered
276 Posts
no this is the first one ? but happy so far even the bongs are not winding me up lol
just need to work out how to set charging times now ?
Well done. You have chosen a good EV.

I have owned a few, and driven most of them.

The ZS EV is a stunning vehicle at the price point that MG are currently selling it in the UK.

The car feels really good to drive. Sat nice and high up it gives a good view of the road. The steering does feel a little light, Sport Mode gives a better feel than the other modes.

I don’t know if you tried the ICE version of the car, but the EV version is far better.

I have an I-Pace as well.The I-Pace cost more than 3x the ZS. It is a better car, but is it 3x better, absolutely not.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Well done. You have chosen a good EV.

I have owned a few, and driven most of them.

The ZS EV is a stunning vehicle at the price point that MG are currently selling it in the UK.

The car feels really good to drive. Sat nice and high up it gives a good view of the road. The steering does feel a little light, Sport Mode gives a better feel than the other modes.

I don’t know if you tried the ICE version of the car, but the EV version is far better.

I have an I-Pace as well.The I-Pace cost more than 3x the ZS. It is a better car, but is it 3x better, absolutely not.
I respect your honesty !.
Thank you !.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I picked mine up on Sunday and I absolutely love it. The acceleration is pretty incredible for such an unassuming car. I reckon in Sport mode, 0-60 is more like 7.5 seconds.
I'm getting used to the bongs but they were grating enough that the first thing I did was to investigate how to turn some of them off. Lane Assist was one of the first to go - turning the sensitivity down made little difference when driving down narrow country lanes. I guess I'll have to do a bong/benefit analysis on each drive before deciding whether to turn it back on again!

I'm slowly getting to know the car and already forming habits that make things slightly less irritating. Like turning off the infotainment system completely (long press of the central button) before switching off the car so the radio doesn't blast on when you next start the motor.

In general though the irritants are (so far) pretty minor, it's a great car for the price. There are so many features, I'm still discovering what else it can do - MG Pilot is next on my list. Also as my first EV, there was a "this is a game changer" moment when I had to make a special journey at midnight to fill my other car ready for the next day. Won't be doing that with this car!
Barnos , you can make the radio volume 12 db quieter on startup by lowering all the equaliser settings to the very lower settings , they will stay at that volume on startup . It's much quieter , i always listen to my usb stick music anyway and have found i had no need to lower the volume in the equaliser settings for that though , must be something to do with the volume settings from my Apple I-tunes account ?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Barnos , you can make the radio volume 12 db quieter on startup by lowering all the equaliser settings to the very lower settings , they will stay at that volume on startup . It's much quieter , i always listen to my usb stick music anyway and have found i had no need to lower the volume in the equaliser settings for that though , must be something to do with the volume settings from my Apple I-tunes account ?

Have had an Exclusive in Dynamic Red on order since Oct - was due for March delivery so we planned a trip to Devon (from London) for last week in March. Now told red is delayed until mid April so have decided to go with a blue one (saving £150). Collecting Monday 2nd March in good time to get to used to it before the long trip.

Any local charging advice from Devonians greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Have had an Exclusive in Dynamic Red on order since Oct - was due for March delivery so we planned a trip to Devon (from London) for last week in March. Collecting Monday 2nd March in good time to get to used to it before the long trip.
Any local charging advice from Devonians greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I regularly travel from Northampton (and sometimes London) to Holsworthy in Devon in an i3, which also has a CCS connector.

On the M4 if I need to I'll charge at Chieveley, but I avoid it where possible as it's often in use. I also used to use the Ecotricity charge points at Gordano and Exeter, but they were often unreliable. Now wherever possible I instead keep my speed down and aim to stop only once, at the Instavolt charge points behind the Wetherspoons in Portishead. There are two, both fast and reliable, so I regularly turn up with less than 5 miles range left without undue stress (they're a bit pricey but worth it). A small fish and chips and a latte is less than £7 while I wait.

After Bristol I will also try to hypermile all the way to Holsworthy. I didn't manage it on Sunday in the storm, so topped up at the Instavolts in Cullompton. There's a pub and a couple of restaurants within 5 minutes walk (though unfortunately for me they'd just shut Sunday night).

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
I regularly travel from Northampton (and sometimes London) to Holsworthy in Devon in an i3, which also has a CCS connector.

On the M4 if I need to I'll charge at Chieveley, but I avoid it where possible as it's often in use. I also used to use the Ecotricity charge points at Gordano and Exeter, but they were often unreliable. Now wherever possible I instead keep my speed down and aim to stop only once, at the Instavolt charge points behind the Wetherspoons in Portishead. There are two, both fast and reliable, so I regularly turn up with less than 5 miles range left without undue stress (they're a bit pricey but worth it). A small fish and chips and a latte is less than £7 while I wait.

After Bristol I will also try to hypermile all the way to Holsworthy. I didn't manage it on Sunday in the storm, so topped up at the Instavolts in Cullompton. There's a pub and a couple of restaurants within 5 minutes walk (though unfortunately for me they'd just shut Sunday night).

Thanks very much Trevor - that's all very helpful. We aim to do M4/M5 to Appledore and was going to use Ecotricity at Membury or Gordano but I'm a bit wary of relying on these given the multitude of poor comments about the reliability of Ecotricity. Given London prices for fish and chips I reckon its worth me finding the Wetherspoons in Portishead if I can get that far.

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts