Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and what fun it is to drive.

Now spending the day looking through menus and tweaking things.

Bluelink worked without any issues too which was good.

So glad I took the jump to EV!

Kona EV 64Kw Premium SE in Galactic Grey

·
Registered
515 Posts
Its a great car and you will enjoy the experience, remember evry now and again on a quiet road from a standing start ensure auto hold is off put it in sport mode left foot on the brake and floor the throttle point it in a straight line and quickly lift your foot off the brake. People think these are to save the planet 🙄 but they are also massive fun. Enjoy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had mine (same model but in red) for 10 days now and find out something new about it every day. The manual is hard work to sit down and read through but is more useful to answer any issues that arise - if you can find the right page. Currently getting 5 miles/KwHr - without really trying to be economical - is this good, compared with others. That is on a 65 mile commute on A roads and occasional motorway.
I agree that it can show a clean pair of heels to most away from traffic lights - very impressive.
At the moment I am thinking "What`s not to like?"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got mine back in May and have enjoyed every single drive. my average is also 5mi/Kwh with a 50/50 mix of A roads and motorway driving. Best economy run was 9 miles/Kwh in slow moving traffic over 10 miles.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hah! Same colour as mine (great for hiding the dirt :)). I've had mine 5 months now and still grin when I drive it. Driving around town and around Somerset on A roads, 5.5 miles/kWh. Motorway at 70 mph, 4.5 miles kWh. Rainy days, knock a mile/kWh off the average. Last week charged it to 100% to balance the cells, showed 325 estimated range. (Big grin on face).

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Congrats, look forward to waving at you on Milton Rd in 3 days time !
I shall be interested to follow your learning & tips.
( & trying to meet people's 5+ consumption values --- never got above 4.2 in the old Golf. )

Did it by the way, have the BMS upgrade done so the battery save+ option is not in the menu choices ? It's on my tick list when I pick mine up.

Reactions: Veeoh

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s also good to sit in outside the house with aircon blasting, while I investigate menus and settings... or that’s what I said to my wife.

Also, this does have the BMS update as no battery saver option that I could see.

Kona EV 64Kw Premium SE in Galactic Grey

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
At the moment I am thinking "What`s not to like?"
Well, I'm not keen on the front grill design, the rear seat area is too small with very poor leg room, there is lots of wasted space under the bonnet so it could have had a smaller bonnet and a larger cabin, and the boot space is small. Well you did sort of ask about negatives. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
I like the front design, but everyone has their own opinion. I prefer the body design to tesla, which feels a very staid saloon design to my eyes. On the other hand I like the tesla single interface ideas, whereas in the kona it's all over the place. Useful stuff, but could be a lot more integrated, cleaner. The satnav is very good in some aspects eg showing next 3 junctions but worst aspect is POI is a bad joke.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Picked up from the same place a Veeoh, here I am 12miles from the dealer, giving it some electrons - it went up to 47kw which was good.
Not sure why the un-smooth transitions in drive mode changing, but guess really you'd do it before pulling away.
Also the speed-adjusting-cruise-control is very jerky coming from a VAG version which was mega smooth.
BUT, I LOVE THIS CAR - so so nippy, 5.3kWh without really trying and checking out sport mode, and really pleased with it.
Bluelink we set up before leaving dealership (set a new time record for start-finish as I had set up a account this morning). However now at home when I refresh it the app is currently showing Charging (not plugged in) so maybe it's really one of the clever Toyota things. I have just realised it should be read as "Charge Status"//////////

IMG_2687.jpeg

Reactions: Veeoh

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up from the same place a Veeoh,
Nice one! Yeah, got a bit of a kick to it hasn't it. My wife doesn't like sport mode, me on the other hand... ;)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Picked up from the same place a Veeoh, here I am 12miles from the dealer, giving it some electrons - it went up to 47kw which was good.
Not sure why the un-smooth transitions in drive mode changing, but guess really you'd do it before pulling away.
Also the speed-adjusting-cruise-control is very jerky coming from a VAG version which was mega smooth.
BUT, I LOVE THIS CAR - so so nippy, 5.3kWh without really trying and checking out sport mode, and really pleased with it.
Bluelink we set up before leaving dealership (set a new time record for start-finish as I had set up a account this morning). However now at home when I refresh it the app is currently showing Charging (not plugged in) so maybe it's really one of the clever Toyota things. I have just realised it should be read as "Charge Status"//////////

View attachment 133580 View attachment 133580
If it shows "Charging, not Plugged In", likely you have a schedule set.

Interesting comments on the adaptive cruise. I had a Mk7 Golf before my Ioniq 38kwh. I find Hyundai's implementation by default is faster to respond to a change in traffic (and also configurable to response and distance). It seems to be as smooth.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The jerkiness when changing between drive modes is because the throttle position corresponds to a different amount of acceleration in each mode. If you lift off briefly while changing modes, there won't be any change.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
5 days after getting, I think it's settling in well .... these numbers look ok to me ( 63% =190miles GOM, potential a whisker over 300 for "a full tank" ). Apart from the cost of rapids being nearly the same as Asda unleaded ......

·
Registered
8 Posts
A quick "back of a fag packet" calculation gives (very roughly) - unleaded at £1.10/litre in a 50mpg car =10p/mile; electricity at £0.45/KwHr = 9p/mile
BUT electricity at 15p/KwHr = 3p/mile. The moral is, charge at home or (even better) work on a "normal" tariff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts