Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I am totally in love with a car, an American car no less!

We traveled down to that there London yesterday morning and picked up our black S85 and, after a brief hand-over, we were off. In order to travel the 220 miles back to the Wirral, we took it easy at around 60-65 mph up the M40, M42, M6 toll, M6 and then across country along the A500 and up through to Chester and the M53. We wanted to try to make it in one hop but also decided to stop for food and try out the chargers.

First impressions? This is one very amazing car. It does not feel too big (although parking takes a little getting used to, what with a reverse camera, parking sensors and the mk 1 eyeball using the wing mirrors, it's confusing where to look!), it is a comfortable cruiser and an absolute bruiser at any speed ;-) Actually, the best fun is to be had accelerating from 30/40 mph onto the motorway, phenomenal linear application of huge power. At 70 mph and wanting to overtake? Well, it's a license-loser if you're not careful; 105mph in the blink of an eye (luckily my wife kept her eye on the speedo while I kept my eye on the road!)

Handling is surprisingly good and the seats very comfortable (no problem with a 4.5 hr drive).

The car gets a lot of attention, from van drivers giving the thumbs up (not sure why) to strangers engaging in the "what is it?" conversation wherever you are parked.

As to charging; we decided to test the Ecotricity chargers and stopped first at Warwick (N). Both spaces at the DC/AC unit were empty but I could not get the car and charger to communicate. I suspect it may be because I plugged in before going though the process steps? Anyway, we gave up after a few minutes and drove on further to Keele, where the DC/AC unit was out-of-action but the older 22kW unit worked fine with our Tesla-supplied type 2 cable; charging at 22kW gave as about 60 mph. This latter unit is obviously well suited to the Tesla as it's limited to 22kW AC, until we get the CHAdeMO adapter, of course (and the superchargers which, when the network is complete, means there will be no need for a Tesla to use the Ecotricity network at all).

The parking space at Warwick was very tight while at Keele, the bays were huge.

Last night we went to a Brazilian festival in Liverpool and onto a local pub where everyone delighted in "honking my horn" on the Tesla app. on my 'phone (I'm not sure my neighbours would be as delighted) and I think I've made at least one sale for Tesla (to a local actress) and added much more interest in EV's in general.

Today, as my brother is visiting from Manchester (to see the car would you believe!), instead of the local restaurants in the village for Sunday dinner, we decided to try the Anchor in Irby; an excellent pub/restaurant by the way, just so we could use the car. Everyone well impressed when I said "navigate to the Anchor, Irby" and the satnav duly set up the route, it even understands my hybrid Welsh/Scouse accent!

I am truly bowled over by the "electric experience" and simply can't wait to get back on the road!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm only a little jealous honest :) sounds amazing.

One thing... Where's the photo???

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures will be forthcoming but it's a black car and already needs a good wash! I've just washed, polished and valeted my Mini Cooper S as it's being picked up tomorrow by a very excited young man and I can't hand it over dirty. I'm knackered now, need some food before a trip over to Liverpool, for no reason whatsoever :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is undoubtedly a big car and some parking has been challenging but I am assuming it will get better when I get used to the P, R and D on the stick; I keep putting the parking brake on instead of shifting into reverse!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Absolutely awesome, congratulations and thanks for this amazing write up too...

Funny you saying Warwick was tight parking, not so much in the LEAF I find. :D ;)

Really think the Model S is going to be the start of something big for Tesla AND the wider EV community here in the UK. Think, hope... believe! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts