Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ID.3ers,

I'm currently an e-Golf driver and have been for a few years now, I was eagerly watching the ID.3 and was thinking about getting a order sorted in the next month for a series version. But when I enquired I got offered an amazing deal on a 1st edition and ended up securing a car to test drive and all being fine pick up a few days after lockdown is over. Seems weird ordering a car without a test drive and I suppose some of these question would have been answer had I had one.

I was pretty aware of the spec of the 1st edition and mostly happy with it, though being a tech nerd I quite fancied having the heads up display but for the saving I was offered I'm fine without it.

Anyway, since reserving I've read a bit deeper in to some of the issues people are having with ID.3s. I have a few questions I can't find the answer for.

1 - I keep hearing talk about a "final software" update that'll reportedly fixed a great many issues. Is there a confirmed date or timeframe on it yet? Will it be an "over the air" update like tesla have where it just updates when connected to Wifi at home or will it be a dealship job? Or don't we know yet. Have there been any other updates so far that I might need to install?

2 - Coming from an e-Golf to ID.3 has anyone got experience of swapping cars when it comes to the WeConnect app? Do I have to deactivate one before adding the other? Also I've seen on the dash it gives power usage in xKwh/100km where as I'm used to miles per Kwh, is there a way to change that or get the miles per Kwh figure on screen?

3 - I've read some people having issues with the 12v battery draining, but haven't found anyone with info on how to mitigate or stop this. Has anyone here had that problem?

4 - Dead minor, but what's the handbrake situation? On my e-Golf it's got the auto hold thing. Is it the same on the ID.3?

Think that's all. Dead excited to get it, haven't even seen one in real life yet. Just hoping lockdown ends on time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,800 Posts
Hi ID.3ers,

I'm currently an e-Golf driver and have been for a few years now, I was eagerly watching the ID.3 and was thinking about getting a order sorted in the next month for a series version. But when I enquired I got offered an amazing deal on a 1st edition and ended up securing a car to test drive and all being fine pick up a few days after lockdown is over. Seems weird ordering a car without a test drive and I suppose some of these question would have been answer had I had one.

I was pretty aware of the spec of the 1st edition and mostly happy with it, though being a tech nerd I quite fancied having the heads up display but for the saving I was offered I'm fine without it.

Anyway, since reserving I've read a bit deeper in to some of the issues people are having with ID.3s. I have a few questions I can't find the answer for.

1 - I keep hearing talk about a "final software" update that'll reportedly fixed a great many issues. Is there a confirmed date or timeframe on it yet? Will it be an "over the air" update like tesla have where it just updates when connected to Wifi at home or will it be a dealship job? Or don't we know yet. Have there been any other updates so far that I might need to install?

2 - Coming from an e-Golf to ID.3 has anyone got experience of swapping cars when it comes to the WeConnect app? Do I have to deactivate one before adding the other? Also I've seen on the dash it gives power usage in xKwh/100km where as I'm used to miles per Kwh, is there a way to change that or get the miles per Kwh figure on screen?

3 - I've read some people having issues with the 12v battery draining, but haven't found anyone with info on how to mitigate or stop this. Has anyone here had that problem?

4 - Dead minor, but what's the handbrake situation? On my e-Golf it's got the auto hold thing. Is it the same on the ID.3?

Think that's all. Dead excited to get it, haven't even seen one in real life yet. Just hoping lockdown ends on time.

Thanks.
1. The major release ME2 should be available very shortly, hopefully before you collect. It has to be applied by the dealer, but after that it gets updates over-the-air.

2. There is a new We Connect ID app for the ID.3. I'd just login with your VW account and then add the new car.

3. Some people have 12V battery drain with early software. Your car should at least have the patch that prevents this.

4. Auto-hold can be turned off/on via the display panel. Otherwise it works exactly the same as the e-Golf.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
574 Posts
The ‘final software ’ seems to be mainly an upgrade to complete missing functionality. I guess it will include some bug fixes as well and I’d be amazed if it doesn’t include an update to enable future OTA. We don’t really know when it will happen, ‘soon’ seems in fashion!
I don’t think it includes reduction of the battery drain issue, but I’m not sure.
I think the only way to be safe re the battery drain is to not leave the car unused for more than a day or two, or monitor it and trickle charge as necessary.
There currently aren’t OTA updates at the moment. Although that should change ‘soon’😉

·
Registered
574 Posts
1. The major release ME2 should be available very shortly, hopefully before you collect. It has to be applied by the dealer, but after that it gets updates over-the-air.

2. There is a new We Connect ID app for the ID.3. I'd just login with your VW account and then add the new car.

3. Some people have 12V battery drain with early software. Your car should at least have the patch that prevents this.

4. Auto-hold can be turned off/on via the display panel. Otherwise it works exactly the same as the e-Golf.
I think 3. Is incorrect here. The later bug fix patch did not correct or prevent the battery drain issue. We are not aware of any VW fix to this.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thanks everyone. I can just sit back and wait for lockdown to be over in peace now.

And for anyone who hasn't put an order in yet they seem to have some great deals right now. Give your VW dealership a call I got £3000 off from the dealership on top of a VW £3000 discount and then for OLEV grant too. Pretty hard to say no to.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,364 Posts
I think 3. Is incorrect here. The later bug fix patch did not correct or prevent the battery drain issue. We are not aware of any VW fix to this.
They don’t all suffer from it either though.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Excellent, thanks everyone. I can just sit back and wait for lockdown to be over in peace now.

And for anyone who hasn't put an order in yet they seem to have some great deals right now. Give your VW dealership a call I got £3000 off from the dealership on top of a VW £3000 discount and then for OLEV grant too. Pretty hard to say no to.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the car, I’ve only had mine nearly a week and 400 miles, but I’ve only noticed very minor software bugs that don’t detract from the use of the car.

I’m hoping they fix the Auto wipers in the update, they don’t work on mine but of course still work like any other VAG car without auto wipers.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,800 Posts
The ‘final software ’ seems to be mainly an upgrade to complete missing functionality. I guess it will include some bug fixes as well and I’d be amazed if it doesn’t include an update to enable future OTA. We don’t really know when it will happen, ‘soon’ seems in fashion!
I don’t think it includes reduction of the battery drain issue, but I’m not sure.
I think the only way to be safe re the battery drain is to not leave the car unused for more than a day or two, or monitor it and trickle charge as necessary.
There currently aren’t OTA updates at the moment. Although that should change ‘soon’😉
Just Google for "ID.3 ME2" and you will find articles which discuss the timing of the software rollout. It's being applied to cars now, and existing owners can start requesting dealer appointments form week 49, at least in Europe. OTA updates are a feature.

Mine's coming on 26/11/2020 so I can let you know for sure if it has updated software of not.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
288 Posts
I cannot give you answers to the other questions but you MUST deactivate your current car out of your profile, otherwise the next owner will struggle to register the car. The dealer can do it but.....it will be nice if you just remove the car from your profile.
I had string of VAG cars and had to deal with this very same issue few times.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just Google for "ID.3 ME2" and you will find articles which discuss the timing of the software rollout. It's being applied to cars now, and existing owners can start requesting dealer appointments form week 49, at least in Europe. OTA updates are a feature.

Mine's coming on 26/11/2020 so I can let you know for sure if it has updated software of not.
Oh that's great info. Do update to let us know if it's all up to date. Hopefully this will mean mines been updated too.

I cannot give you answers to the other questions but you MUST deactivate your current car out of your profile, otherwise the next owner will struggle to register the car. The dealer can do it but.....it will be nice if you just remove the car from your profile.
I had string of VAG cars and had to deal with this very same issue few times.
Tell me about it. My wifes Nissan leaf we've had for 2 years is still connected to the previous owners account and it seems no-one at Nissans know how to deactivate it.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
192 Posts
I read somewhere that the 1st 10000 1st editions do not have the hardware to do OTA updates. Not sure how you tell if you are unlucky enough to have one of these or not but my understanding is that VW are saying that these cars will not be possible to enable for OTA upgrades -

This another reason although tempted I still did not buy a 1st ED even with the £3000 finance contribution. I have a fear that VW will take a good number of software updates to get ID3 to a condition where the software is effectively bug free and didn’t want a trip to the dealers to gain any bug fixes or enhancements

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,800 Posts
I read somewhere that the 1st 10000 1st editions do not have the hardware to do OTA updates. Not sure how you tell if you are unlucky enough to have one of these or not but my understanding is that VW are saying that these cars will not be possible to enable for OTA upgrades
Have you got a source for that? I’ve trawled the internet for information on ID.3 updates and I’ve not seen that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
They don’t all suffer from it either though.
I saw Battery Life saying that but as an ex software engineer it doesn’t make sense to me. Same version of software, same firmware and hardware is going to give a similar predilection.
Whether it happens or not is probably down to owner specifics re use.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
I saw Battery Life saying that but as an ex software engineer it doesn’t make sense to me. Same version of software, same firmware and hardware is going to give a similar predilection.
Whether it happens or not is probably down to owner specifics re use.
Yes, possibly, there could be some hardware/component differences as well though.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
192 Posts
Have you got a source for that? I’ve trawled the internet for information on ID.3 updates and I’ve not seen that.
This is one of the web sites where I got the info (there are others):

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/2...lties-with-id-3-software-previews-id-7-bulli/

The article is almost a year old not sure how true it is but it was enough to spook me out of buying a 1sr ED especially since as soon as they sell you a vehicle all efforts/improvements will go into future hardware/software updates. No chance go benefiting in any of this without OTA update capability.

Since e the software and communication problems were significant I would not be surprised if they have made HW rev changes as well as SW changes since producing the early 1st ED models

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,800 Posts
This is one of the web sites where I got the info (there are others):

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/2...lties-with-id-3-software-previews-id-7-bulli/

The article is almost a year old not sure how true it is but it was enough to spook me out of buying a 1sr ED especially since as soon as they sell you a vehicle all efforts/improvements will go into future hardware/software updates. No chance go benefiting in any of this without OTA update capability.

Since e the software and communication problems were significant I would not be surprised if they have made HW rev changes as well as SW changes since producing the early 1st ED models
It would make more sense if it were a software problem, not a hardware one. Updating 20-30000 cars at dealerships rather than OTA is a nightmare in Itself.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Why can’t VW deliver the car to you now? 🤪 lease and subscription companies are eating dealerships’ lunches for a month as it stands.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
It would make more sense if it were a software problem, not a hardware one. Updating 20-30000 cars at dealerships rather than OTA is a nightmare in Itself.
It’s my understanding that all ID.3s have the same Continental main computer that has OTA designed in.

I specifically asked the sales guy the question and have his email reply confirming that the forthcoming update would enable it in the New Year. They’ll be getting some awkward questions if it can’t happen! 😁👍

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
192 Posts
That’s exactly my point and concern: VW will do the bare minimum the can get away with dealer SW updates. Without OTA capability owners will loose out on all of the evolution enhancements and will have to live with bugs and laggy software. My Sony TV is classic example a laggy operating system.
Have Sony got any intentions of fixing it - Not a chance ! Even although they have issued numerous sw updates

It has however been fixed in newer models though.

I fear VW approach to ID3 will be similar

1 - 20 of 24 Posts