Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure why they changed this. Maybe weight?

I wouldn't be surprised if these rust up fast in the UK weather through lack of use.
In a word.

Cost.

Disc brakes are superior to drum. Less maintance, easier to change.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure why they changed this. Maybe weight?

I wouldn't be surprised if these rust up fast in the UK weather through lack of use.
In a word.

Cost.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,474 Posts
In a word.

Cost.

Best start saving up for the superior cost of replacing rusted calipers.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It’s fine, they rust slightly slower than the drums. Harder to paint.

I like the idea of Renault replacing rusty drums on warranty. Never thought to ask. :)
Yea I'm kicking myself for not considering it when mine went for a service couple of weeks back!

Been meaning to paint them for weeks now....

·
24,474 Posts
Paint the insides of the drums too, that's where the rust will cause the most problems.

:devilish:

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I always thought a rear disc braking system was cheaper to install than drums. hence why the Koreans use it.
Yes. I don’t follow the logic of discs being cheaper. If they were the case then why didn’t they have them from the start?

·
24,474 Posts
Yes. I don’t follow the logic of discs being cheaper. If they were the case then why didn’t they have them from the start?
Cheaper at production stage but (maybe) more expensive to engineer, bigger warranty costs, something to do with servicing. Or maybe the other way around.

I don't think there is much in it. I think the more important aspects are integration with the car as a whole and the ramifications of the whole setup using one or the other.

Rear discs are very poor for park brake performance in a regular set up. If you have some other way to do that (some have little drum brakes within the disc brake, called a 'top hat' disc', common now is electric which can apply a much higher pressure than manual lever) then rear discs become instantly viable where they were not before.

I think disc brakes are cheaper to manufacture and assemble, assuming all else works and is a good fit to the requirement.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Rear discs are very poor for park brake performance in a regular set up. If you have some other way to do that (some have little drum brakes within the disc brake, called a 'top hat' disc', common now is electric which can apply a much higher pressure than manual lever) then rear discs become instantly viable where they were not before.
Good point - it now has an electronic parking brake. Maybe that was the impetus.

Also, the ZOE doesn’t have a ‘Park’ mode on the gear lever. Only B/D, N and R. It seems to rely on the hold functionality to double as a P mode.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Isn't it because the R135 is more powerful so need the disks all round, high performance cars do, they wouldn't want more production configs so go disks across the board.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Yes, maybe that and a whole host of reasons.

Maybe the supplier just gave them a great deal on complete brake sets now production numbers are up?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe it actually has to do with braking distance in emergency, for 5-star rating. At 140km/h probably only front disc breaks are not sufficient to slow down the car sufficiently enough, given the weight of the car. I could be wrong, but this was my understanding.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Quick App Update:

I’ve been checking the new My Renault app infrequently. It always throws an error when I start it up, and it says that some functionality is restricted.

However the charge level indication always seems to work and can be updated more frequently than the 20 minute limit of the old app.

Also, it tracks the position of the car on the app, which is nice.

I can’t get remote pre-conditioning to work yet. Hopefully by the summer.

Eventually the app might be quite good. :)

281 - 300 of 405 Posts