Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening from East Neuk Scotland...I took the plunge and paid a deposit for Kia soul 10/2017 the blue/white one with 12517 miles on the clock..can you please advise me what to especially pay attention to comparing to ICE car..Kind Regards Daniel

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
At that mileage, it should be completely fault free. And you still have over 3 years warranty.

Check you have a charging cable plus a separate "granny charger" in a circular, soft carry case. There is no spare wheel, but there should be a "can-of-goo" kit in the boot. The Owner's Manual is a must. There should be two keyfobs. If one is missing, insist the seller provides a replacement at his expense - they are not cheap.

Check that annual services have been performed at 10/18, 10/19 and 10/20, and are stamped in the book. If that is not the case, check with KIA UK whether they regard the car as under warranty and get it in writing. If they say it isn't, i would not buy.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
There have been a few ( not common) reports of software updates gone a bit wrong that prevented the heating system working.
Check that the heater outputs hot air within say 30 seconds from a cold start. Monitor electrical power consumption ( EV button).
You want to get the 12v battery load tested and if there is any degradation, replaced. These cars use a lot of background power for keyless locking etc so on a 2017 car the 12v battery might be just hanging in there.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
There have been a few ( not common) reports of software updates gone a bit wrong that prevented the heating system working.
Check that the heater outputs hot air within say 30 seconds from a cold start. Monitor electrical power consumption ( EV button).
My understanding is that the problem (heat pump does not work at cold ambient temperatures following climate control software update SA427) does not apply to the 30kWh model - only to the earlier models (which have the option to set charging to cease at 80%).

There is now a cure for the problem for European models The SW number is ST.PSEV.EUR.E532.191120.

EDIT: Apparently, that is the AV system software, and the software controlling the HVAC is only visible to the Kia test equipment. Sorry, I can't edit the quotes below.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
My understanding is that the problem (heat pump does not work at cold ambient temperatures following climate control software update SA427) does not apply to the 30kWh model - only to the earlier models (which have the option to set charging to cease at 80%).

There is now a cure for the problem for European models The SW number is ST.PSEV.EUR.E532.191120.
CtThanks for T

Is it the 30kWh model that the OP intends to purchase?

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning guys, yes it's the 30 kWh one; the seller is a car dealer which advertises the cars on Autotrader. I have called them to make sure it has the service book, keys, and cables .. they confirmed that everything is there and the service book has a few Kia service stamps but the car is being prepared for the pick-up. The person who is responsible for this particular sale is going to call me back with more details. The first person I spoke about this car claimed it was a 27 kWh battery but I asked about the registration number and the Vin number to check if it's 27 or 30 though. I watched the review on youtube from the late brake show when they had a chat with Mr. Porterfield from EV cars and he explained you can only be reassured if it's 30 kWh by Vin number of the car- apparently the 10th digit of the Vin should be J instead of F for the 27kWh one. They refused to give me a whole Vin but confirmed the 10th digit was J, I have also called Kia UK and provided them with the registration number and they also confirmed it was 30 kWh one, so it looks like the dealer has had no idea it has been a 30 kWh one. The car is priced at £13000, I have tried hard to shave something off the price but they were not willing to do so. Because the interest is growing about the EVs they are aware they would get a full price anyway.
Regards
Daniel

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Good morning guys, yes it's the 30 kWh one; the seller is a car dealer which advertises the cars on Autotrader. I have called them to make sure it has the service book, keys, and cables .. they confirmed that everything is there and the service book has a few Kia service stamps but the car is being prepared for the pick-up. The person who is responsible for this particular sale is going to call me back with more details. The first person I spoke about this car claimed it was a 27 kWh battery but I asked about the registration number and the Vin number to check if it's 27 or 30 though. I watched the review on youtube from the late brake show when they had a chat with Mr. Porterfield from EV cars and he explained you can only be reassured if it's 30 kWh by Vin number of the car- apparently the 10th digit of the Vin should be J instead of F for the 27kWh one. They refused to give me a whole Vin but confirmed the 10th digit was J, I have also called Kia UK and provided them with the registration number and they also confirmed it was 30 kWh one, so it looks like the dealer has had no idea it has been a 30 kWh one. The car is priced at £13000, I have tried hard to shave something off the price but they were not willing to do so. Because the interest is growing about the EVs they are aware they would get a full price anyway.
Regards
Daniel
That's probably a good price for a 30kWh Soul EV, happy motoring.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Your Soul will have Chademo RAPID charging. Even on a 50kW unit it maintains a high charging rate to a high SOC. On the A92, Glenrothes, signposted Coaltown of Balgownie, by Fife Council HQ, there are two good Rapids if you want to try.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
The car is priced at £13000, I have tried hard to shave something off the price but they were not willing to do so. Because the interest is growing about the EVs they are aware they would get a full price anyway.
Very true. That's a good price, especially with the low mileage. I too bought a 10/17 30kWh, but in Jan 20, and it was priced at 16k with over 30k miles, so I think you're quids in.

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your Soul will have Chademo RAPID charging. Even on a 50kW unit it maintains a high charging rate to a high SOC. On the A92, Glenrothes, signposted Coaltown of Balgownie, by Fife Council HQ, there are two good Rapids if you want to try.
Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it (y) ;)

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so they called me back to confirm the car have everything that I asked for..two keys, a service book with Kia servicing stamps and photos, rapid charging cable, and granny cable, the 12 v battery was tested and the car has a new MOT + extra 3-month warranty for any fail + 12 month RAC road assistance..picking up tomorrow around lunchtime..any advice which chargers use around A1 Motorway? Before someone will say traveling is permitted just for the essential reason I really need to pick it up as my wife's car is done ...and she needs a car for daily school runs. I have tried to find some information if it's is a reason enough to travel so far, but couldn't find a precise answer. The gov pages say if someone needs to travel they are allowed as soon as it's not for pleasure. Looking forward to the adventure back home with a new car, hope it won't let me down.
Regards Daniel

·
Registered
626 Posts
Enjoy. We have a 9/17 30kWh, been great so far. Paid £14,700 at auction back in Nov 19 23,000 miles (grey colour). I think the price your paying sounds like a good deal.

Re the 12v battery, I wonder whether the car trying to communicate with the key fobs causes drain. I keep both sets of keys in those RFID pouches. I also have the wing mirrors set to stay open rather than fold in and out every time you open the car. Still on original battery and no funny business with it so far. Saying how cold the winter was and how little the car was used I thought it might have started to play up but no so far. Touches wood and crosses fingers....

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Enjoy. We have a 9/17 30kWh, been great so far. Paid £14,700 at auction back in Nov 19 23,000 miles (grey colour). I think the price your paying sounds like a good deal.

Re the 12v battery, I wonder whether the car trying to communicate with the key fobs causes drain. I keep both sets of keys in those RFID pouches. I also have the wing mirrors set to stay open rather than fold in and out every time you open the car. Still on the original battery and no funny business with it so far. Saying how cold the winter was and how little the car was used I thought it might have started to play up but no so far. Touches wood and crosses fingers....
Hello James..do you have any advice and tips for me for my tomorrow journey and which chargers to use on the way to home..any preferences? the car is located in Peterborough..my return journey will be mostly on A1..regards Daniel

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Hello James..do you have any advice and tips for me for my tomorrow journey and which chargers to use on the way to home..any preferences? the car is located in Peterborough..my return journey will be mostly on A1..regards Daniel
Start your planning with say 80miles max between chargers, heating off ( use seat heater if needed and airflow to windscreen). Plus keep your speed below say 65mph. You want to aim for large towns off the A1M so you have plan A, plan B, plan C plus toilets etc. avoid charging in Edinburgh. You can charge over the bridge at Halbeath to get you home. A68 is not a bad route, on the Scottish side Rapid provision ( singles) is pretty good.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi Daniel

I’d recommend looking for Instavolt chargers as a first choice. Zap map or the Instavolt website will help you locate where they have them. There are some in Peterborough and also I think just up the A1 from Peterborough too if you find its not fully charged when you collect it. You‘re looking for Chademo chargers. You can filter on zap map for both Instavolt and Chademo.

The Soul 30 rapid charges up to 94%. Best to move on then as topping off to 100% would be very slow anyway.

The Soul will happily rapid charge repeatedly so you should not experience any “rapid gate” issues like some other cars.

You can turn eco mode off behind the electronic hand break if you feel you need more oomph but I find eco mode is still fine even in that scenario though.

My car came from Edinburgh to Leicester delivered by eco cars (Jonathan Porterfield). I think he stopped 3/4 times and arrived with me with about 30 miles left. He came down the A1. Seem to remember he stopped at Scotch Corner.

You could have a look at Tim’s Travels 1 on twitter. He delivered the car and documented the stops he made, was in Oct 2019 thinking back, not November.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Roughly speaking, if you get the seller to fully charge the car on a granny if need be, you will need 4 or 5 charges so 5 or 6 legs if you plan it right.

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the car will be fully charged and ready..the google show 370 mil journey..I've already downloaded the zap map app..

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts

Re the 12v battery, I wonder whether the car trying to communicate with the key fobs causes drain. I keep both sets of keys in those RFID pouches. I also have the wing mirrors set to stay open rather than fold in and out every time you open the car. Still on original battery and no funny business with it so far. Saying how cold the winter was and how little the car was used I thought it might have started to play up but no so far. Touches wood and crosses fingers....
I think the car is always on the QV for the key fob, so the pouch will not help there. I suspected my original battery, so replaced it, but the old one, once bench-recharged, still has a 70% SOH. I've kept it as a spare. Unlike ICE cars, the battery is recharged just as fast at rest as when in motion (as long as the system is in Ready state).

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
a little update, The Soul is already parked on my driveway..it was definitively challenging to drive that car back to Scotland. especially the charging. I managed to stop just 4 times, a total of 395 miles was driven...But twice I had trouble with faulty chargers. The second planning to stop to get a full juice got me a little trouble because when I reached the charger my battery showed I could drive just 9 miles only and the charger was out of service...the zap map showed extra 12 miles away from another available chargero_O...I must admit I really started sweating.I took the risk and rolled the Soul to my next charger with some hope the car could do it..and the Soul didn't let me down and somehow I could squeeze the extra 12 miles from it plus it still showed an extra 5 miles when I reached the fast charger at Lidl ..But I drove max 30 mil/h..Lesson learned...so happy to be home. Today morning we took the Soul again for a test drive with my fife and kids and they loved it;) I am glad I took the decision to invest the money and bought a full EV car..Looking forward to getting more out of it and drive the Soul with my family..Kind Regards Daniel

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW one of the two key fobs shows also a low battery..the spare one..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts