Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Another fun day for me this week, with a few interesting vehicles. I'll start off with an unusual one

288.JPG

The VW XL1. There was an accompanying presnetation from VW1 in the main lecture hall, and if you've geeked out about the XL1 before you know how light and futuristcy it is, but there was some genuine passion for the car, along with the quote "You can buy this car. You can go to my colleagues outside, sign a contract, and buy it. It is not a concept, it is not a show car, you can own it." Now I kind of want to...

There was a Formula E car, although sadly no rides were available in it..... Looking forward to seeing them in action on Saturday though!

296.JPG

I found something amazing inside, I had no idea it was going to happen, but here it is:

318.JPG

A Mondeo Hybrid...! It's going to be manufactured in Spain, it will go on sale the same time as the new Mondeo, it'll have 99g/co2 (so mid 60's MPG on NEDC) and has a 2l atkinson cycle petrol engine. No plans for the plugin version, which is a shame, but at least this is a start, this seems like a good Prius competitor, not quite the same economy, but more practical, and without the stigma. Well done Ford.

Sticking with Ford for a moment, their proudest creation, the 1l "eco"boost engine was getting all the love and attention it deserves:

347.JPG

There was a very nice cutaway model of a hybrid Range Rover:

313.JPG

Although I think this hybrid may be a rush job, or even an all out conspiracy, as the battery compartment was suspiciously empty....

315.JPG

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #2
There was a lot of fuss and attention for Gordon Murray, and he talked very enthusiastically about electric drive train and istream manufacturing, although the poor chap looked very worried when they actually unveiled the car

330.JPG

You could hear him thinking "Oh bugger, they packed a Smart Car onto the trailer by mistake"

358.JPG

I had a chance for a chat with KSPG automotive about their range extender

351.JPG

It's tiny! It's powerful! It would fit under the boot floor of a Leaf! Or a Fiat 500 (oddly)! They won't sell me one! Wait, what? Yes, they're aiming for tier 1 automotive customers, and have zero interest in aftermarket sales. A pity, I can see a market for it, particularly with older EV's now starting to see range reduction.

Toyota told us that THIS IS THE FUTURE:

349.JPG

So not only do we need fossil fuel infrastucture, and electric vehicle infrastructure, we need hydrogen infrastructure too, because reasons. A really interesting slide for me (sadly I wasn't quick enough with the camera) was their slide asserting that HEV's had Excellent crusing distance and BEVs had Poor cruising distance. Perhaps they haven't looked at their own spec for their upcoming FCV. 700kms on JC08 will relate to about 250 miles on the EPA, where Tesla is already at 265. Oh well...

I got a chance to drive an i3 Rex, went for a couple of laps round the bowl at 85mph. Yes, I could hear the Rex, yes, it sounds like a two cylinder engine (the GF's Fiat 500 twinair sounds similar...) and yes, doing that speed the Rex could not keep up, despite being in hold mode the battery charge was slowly reducing. But, after coming off the bowl the charge quickly came back up, and by the time we were back in the exhibition area the charge level had returned and the engine had firstly slowed and then switched off.

I also got the chance to drive the Outlander round the bowl, and I -definitely- heard it's range extender. It also returned a sort of not impressive not unimpressive 54MPG round the bowl with a full battery. I expected it to feel big, but it didn't.

Finally Baroness Kramer gave a speech, and there were no boos or hisses. She was actually very passionate about OLEV, ULEV's and getting them into government fleets.

370.JPG

I thought this was great because only a couple of years ago EV's were the preserve of the hobbyist and the milkman, but they're now a real topic discussed at the top. For the first time this year I got the impression there's a real desire to make this work, although the reason for it were not altruistic, it's all about the money. A very common theme was the rebirth of not only manufacturing but automotive manufacturing within the UK, along with the R&D we're already doing. Nissan are doing this with the Leaf, and I'm sure as more plugins gain popularity there will be reason for others to build here, and the jobs creation goes wider than the cars. The whole joined up picture, of smart grid, renewable generation and plugins is coming together. It's a shame that it's money driving it, but I am glad it's happening :)

Premium Member
Edd, thanks for an excellent report. I wish I'd been able to go. Is the Gordon Murray car being built by Tata?

Registered
I was there and got a decent test drive on the Alpine track of the Ford Focus electric today. All info here from the Ford stand guy who oddly didn't seem too sure about things which may have been a bit telling!

Feels a bit heavier than the Leaf despite sitting lower but has a 109kw motor so pretty good noticeable performance benefit and handling certainly as good as Leaf despite higher battery centre of gravity.
It felt solidly built and bigger than Leaf inside but the car encroaches on the drivers space with a wrap around you dash and centre section. So far so good..........

..............Not so good;
There is a small reversing camera roughly 4 inch screen and a very odd spartan instrument cluster with not much useable energy information that I could find. Looks like an after thought to be honest. If anyone knows better please explain how to access useful energy info.

The regen appears to be in 2 flavours, D and L on the 5 position fore and aft automatic type selector.
D for drive and L for Low? I only realised at the end of the run after switching several times between D&L that L was actualy higher regen but only very slightly higher like B mode with a small b.
I could see this car could appeal to a large pool of C segement users and it could and should be a real winner however there are currently 2 reasons why it won't be which would be deal breakers against the competition.

1. Price 拢29000.
2. There is no facility to rapid charge it:confused::eek:.

Registered
I was there and got a decent test drive on the Alpine track of the Ford Focus electric today. All info here from the Ford stand guy who oddly didn't seem too sure about things which may have been a bit telling!

Feels a bit heavier than the Leaf despite sitting lower but has a 109kw motor so pretty good noticeable performance benefit and handling certainly as good as Leaf despite higher battery centre of gravity.
It felt solidly built and bigger than Leaf inside but the car encroachers on the drivers space with a wrap around you dash and centre section. So far so good..........

..............Not so good;
There is a small reversing camera roughly 4 inch screen and a very odd spartan instrument cluster with not much useable energy information that I could find. Looks like an after thought to be honest. If anyone knows better please explain how to access useful energy info.

The regen appears to be in 2 flavours, D and L on the 5 position for and aft automatic type selector.
D for drive and L for Low? I only realised at the end of the run after switching several times between D&L that L was actualy higher regen but only very slightly higher like B mode with a small b.
I could see this car could appeal to a large pool of C segement users and it could and should be a real winner however there are currently 2 reasons why it won't be which would be deal breakers against the competition.

1. Price 拢29000.
2. There is no facility to rapid charge it:confused::eek:.
Did you try the e-Golf, too? I found it compared favourably to the Focus on the circuit.

Registered
Did you try the e-Golf, too? I found it compared favourably to the Focus on the circuit.
Tried to but get this. I met Brian Orr walking away from their stand about 1.00pm who had just asked for a test drive and had been told he could go out on the track as a passenger only!
I can imagine what he might have said to that judging from his demeanor.
Thought I must at least try so seconds later got there to be told by a whipper snapper we are all full up today sorry.
For the next 2 hours there were at least 3 e-Golfs sitting doing nothing whilst we tested the Ford and E-NV200.
Only thing I learned about e-Golf is how to turn a launch expose in to a PR Gaff.

Registered
Oddness - I booked yesterday for this morning without incident. Today was definitely quieter compared to yesterday.

Reactions: Paul

Registered
Could you make any sense of the Focus electric screen info? Any more to say about e-golf?
Not much on the Focus instrumentation. Didn't really have enough headspace to process it - one of the (few) downsides of my job is that people want to grill me the whole way round at these types of things - which is fine of course - just makes it hard to focus on the vehicle for the 5 mins you get in it.

As I have often said, the two Golf EVs are tremendously important bellweathers for the market. Speaking with the knowledgeable chaperone on my way round, it's clear that they have removed much semblance of "EVness" from the drivers seat. It's a quick and planted car, more so than a Leaf, but has no display instrumentation - all analogue dials, a deliberate strategy by VW (confirmed by them) to make the Golf as homogenous as possible to the ICE product and appeal to their base. The mkVII has been designed with "multiple powertrains" in mind from the off, and starts to bring in a new paradigm of lightness, being 100kg like for like lighter than the VI.

Impressive car - should give EV sales another mahoosive shove.

Reactions: GBEV and Paul

Registered
I really really want an aftermarket Rex for my Leaf! I don't necessarily need one but it would really open up using the car for ANY journey.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
I tried the Focus last year, it felt like what it is, a clumsy retrofit, the boot is non existent.

I got in the golf no probs on Wednesday, I just didn't mention it above because there was nothing to mention! The doors felt and sounded like a golf, it steered like a golf, and just.... Was a golf. Personally the golf doesn't excite me but I think the e-golf will fit right in with golf fans, and should sell well!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
I really really want an aftermarket Rex for my Leaf! I don't necessarily need one but it would really open up using the car for ANY journey.
Yes it's an interesting idea, and I think someone will do it eventually, it's just not going to be one of the big boys.

Registered
Perfect example today I have to go to Stone in staffs from Mansfield round about 60 miles each way. There is only one set of rapids in that area that would mean getting on the M6 for a junction or two. So I'll take the ice if I had a range extender I'd at least complete half the journey on battery and another benefit I'd probably be able to drive a little quicker too. I really want a range extender leaf. I keep thinking if I say it enough someone will sell me one :) Sorry to drift off topic.

Registered
I'm with @Mark J Constable on the e-Golf (and Golf GTE) and think they have the potential to make a great impact. I do think the e-Golf should have pushed the range a bit more, but it's still a cracking option.
The Golf did come with one startling innovation.

It has the usual car activation module but with the addition of some kind of bright metal shank protruding from it. And even better than that, there is a docking station for storing this device right there on the steering column. Much more elegant than simply flinging yer module into an empty cupholder and have it rattle all the live long day.

This assembly is also multi function because once docked, a simple swipe of the wrist clockwise will activate the car's secondary systems, a further swipe from there will activate primary systems, and to activate the powertrain a third swipe is necessary, although the module seemed to spring backwards to the second position afterwards. I kept trying but it sprang back every time.

It's the future.

Reactions: Paul

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16
The Golf did come with one startling innovation.

It has the usual car activation module but with the addition of some kind of bright metal shank protruding from it. And even better than that, there is a docking station for storing this device right there on the steering column. Much more elegant than simply flinging yer module into an empty cupholder and have it rattle all the live long day.

This assembly is also multi function because once docked, a simple swipe of the wrist clockwise will activate the car's secondary systems, a further swipe from there will activate primary systems, and to activate the powertrain a third swipe is necessary, although the module seemed to spring backwards to the second position afterwards. I kept trying but it sprang back every time.

It's the future.
Haha yes that's an oddity!

Registered
Haha yes that's an oddity!
The chap said it was deliberate and in keeping with the whole "normal" vibe for the car. In all seriousness, when I pulled up after the drive, I couldn't remember which way to turn the key for "off". The last car I had with a key was my beloved 2000 Ford Focus Ghia hatch. Driven cars with keys since, but second nature use has long since departed.

Super Moderator
The chap said it was deliberate and in keeping with the whole "normal" vibe for the car. In all seriousness, when I pulled up after the drive, I couldn't remember which way to turn the key for "off". The last car I had with a key was my beloved 2000 Ford Focus Ghia hatch. Driven cars with keys since, but second nature use has long since departed.
I am the other way round, every time I get out of the Volt I reach for the key, Douhhhh!!!!!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts