Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
194 cars sold in December is a good number I guess? Maybe Santa delivered a few Ampera/Volt/Leaf ;-)

The total of over 2200 eligible cars sold in 2012 is good too? It would be interesting to know breakdown by model, but I guess at least 50% are Ampera/Volt?

http://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... eport1.png

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still find the numbers reported confusing. I assume the Ampera/Volt is not counted as "pure electric" so (in Dec) are the 117 Leafs and Twizys? If so, the 77 cars not "pure electric" but PIG eligible are Ampera/Volt I guess?

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, IMHO this is depressing news...

SLOUGH, UNITED KINGDOM – Jan 7, 2013: Sales figures announced today confirmed Prius Plug-in as the best-selling plug-in hybrid in the UK. The car achieved 470 sales from its launch date in July 2012, outselling its nearest rival, Vauxhall Ampera, despite it being on sale since April, 3 months longer than the Toyota.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me it was a choice between the two. The four seater aspect of the Ampera was a worry and I was swung by a fantastic demonstrator deal, but I would have got the Ampera in any case for the range. No regrets at all!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Also don't forget Toyota has great brand recognition with the PiP whereas Vauxhall are starting from scratch. Not helped by the TV ad being pulled after a complaint to the ASA.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think its purely down to the fact that there are many Prius owners trading in an old version for a new version. They are not even bothering to look around, as Prius has been the 'go to' car for such a long while. The Toyota is trusted technology while the Ampera is new.

But I doubt there are many new comers to the Prius Plug-in, as all are, for the Ampera.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Parax - Good point that the Toyota dealers can do an "up-sell". I can see someone going in to look at the 'normal' Prius and ending up with a Prius plug-in, unaware of the benefits of the Ampera/Volt.

Incidentally, I wasn't knocking Toyota. I've had a couple over the past few years and more recently a Lexus. I have always been very impressed with reliability. Like many here I am concerned that a car made by GM (it isn't really a Vauxhall ;-) will not be as reliable, but at least there is the lifetime warranty...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts