Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This light aircraft is about to set some world records:

What is interesting is the consumption per 100 km is not that far off that of my Zoe at 80 mph. But I bet the aircraft is much faster even at cruise...

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,219 Posts
Looking good though they could really improved the range. 100 miles for an aircraft seems small no matter what sized plane

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good though they could really improved the range. 100 miles for an aircraft seems small no matter what sized plane

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
It’s perfect for PPL training.

What do you think the cost per flight hour is? :)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Costs are always dependant on what's included, and what assumptions you make about final value.
In car terms this strikes me as somewhere equivalent to a Twizzy or 22kW Zoë. The latter was very expensive compared to a comparable Cloe, but the operating costs were lower (partly due to fuel duty which doesn't apply as much to AvGas), but the depreciation depends on when you sold it (very small to the current prices, much higher after the initial 2 years).
You are going to need a fleet twice the size for a flying school to overcome the refueling time. But you'll potentially be able to fly into areas banned under future environmental protection measures the equivalent of the ULEZ.
A good step forward but perhaps most will wait for the 50kWh Zoë equivalent with Rapid charging to arrive before making the leap.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are going to need a fleet twice the size for a flying school to overcome the refueling time.
Really? You’ve done the utilisation calculations based on the reduced maintenance intervals?

I’d love to see them. :)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Of course I have access to the unpublished data. :rolleyes: And since when did routine maintenance have to subtract from flying time to the extent of twice the time spent airborne (excluding fast military jets) which is the claimed charging time?

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course I have access to the unpublished data. :rolleyes: And since when did routine maintenance have to subtract from flying time to the extent of twice the time spent airborne (excluding fast military jets) which is the claimed charging time?
Oh, sorry. You just made the claim that a flight school would need to buy twice as many aircraft to maintain the same operations.

I didn’t realise you made it without any basis in evidence. 🤪

1 - 11 of 11 Posts