Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at electric planes, and the Pipistrel Velis Electro came up as having just been certified in Europe. This plane is from Slovenia, but if you look at the photo of the charging port, you'll notice it's using the Chinese GB/T DC connector rather than CCS or Chademo.

I'm a bit unclear why they went with this and I thought would be interesting to see if anyone had opinions on the topic.

Pipistrel Velis Electro - Wikipedia

The Pipistrel website offers a very odd explanation, which just sounds like they wanted to prevent people being able to plug in the airplane at existing chargers...

What type of connector does the Velis Electro use? Is the charger compatible with electric cars?
The Velis Electro has a DC GB/T 20234 connector. Even if this standard connector is also used on cars, Velis Electro charging is allowed only with a Pipistrel portable charger or a Pipistrel Sky ChargeTM charger. Charging electric aircraft has its specifics which not only require addressing the technical feasibility of electrical power transfer but also matters related to cybersecurity and enhanced levels of safety when compared to automotive-class charging. Pipistrel has recently announced a partnership with GreenMotion, a leader in the vehicle charging industry, to work towards enabling dual-use chargers.
Source

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
I guess that there's no existing Rapid charging infrastructure airside at airports so they have a free choice. Perhaps they found the most cost and weight effective charging system used GB/T - lots of things are sourced that way from China.

There's a bit of irony that part of the justification put forwards by Pipistrel for using the GB/t is cybersecurity ......

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Or perhaps a couple of years ago when they were at the design stage, they went on this forum and saw all the moans about CCS & Chademo connectors not working and thought they'd better use a different specification! ;)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
I can't wait for the PPL gang to turn up on here, moaning about how short the CCS cables are.
When is Elon going to announce a plane that can use the Supercharger network?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Additional income - every Pipistrel plane is bundled with GB/t charger (+proprietary handshake coding, à la Tesla). Indeed, pulling those very last few feet to a random CCS charger might be really disastrous for wings or propeller...

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
It may have to do with certification. Existing CCS / CHAdeMO chargers are not certified for aircraft.

By using a non-standard connector, Pipistrel can enforce using a certified charger.

ICE aircraft are similar. Most certified spark-igition aircraft require avgas.. They can't legaly be flown with fuel used in motor vehicles. There are experimental (not certified) aircraft that can fly on automotive fuel.

Compression ignition aircraft engines are typically certifed to use jetfuel, even though they often could run on automotive diesel.

Chargers for road vehicles don't have long enough leads. This is a safety issue as well as a practical one.

This is the older Type-2 system for the Electro-Alpha which is experimental:

Type 2 chargers in Los Angeles !!

Velis Electro (certified) on charge:

Sources:

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
You’d need to get ATC clearance to get onto the taxiway or ramp.
Not for the ramp....

19.04.920 Flight operations area restrictions. A. Motor vehicles shall not be permitted on the airport flight operations area except by prior approval of the director.
C. Other motor vehicles having occasion to enter the flight operations area shall display a flag above the vehicle. This flag shall be not less than three feet square, consisting of a checkered pattern of orange and white squares of not less than one foot on a side with the orange squares appearing at the corners and in the center of the flag. (Ord. 9979 Art. 5 § 92, 1970.)
19.04.980 Parking restrictions. Motor vehicles shall not be parked on an airport other than in the manner and at locations designated by the director. (Ord. 9979 Art. 5 § 98, 1970.)

Source:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
They've got to make the EVSEs super low-profile to avoid this slight snag:

... no chance of any lamp-post chargers for them ! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Additional income - every Pipistrel plane is bundled with GB/t charger (+proprietary handshake coding, à la Tesla). Indeed, pulling those very last few feet to a random CCS charger might be really disastrous for wings or propeller...

I wonder if a Chademo to GB/T adapter will work as they are very similar standard and communication (again, depends on what kind of handshake is happening). My other thought is the cost of the components. If you look on aliexpress, the price for a gb/t connector is easily half that of a Chademo connector, for reasons I can only assume are related to licensing fees.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts