Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the car to be serviced and apparently my front disks are "pitted" and I have to replace them and the pads. The car's 4 years old and done 31k miles. Main dealer is quoting £420 for the work but I was wondering if anyone else could do it cheaper. A local dealer (non Nissan) said that they could replace disks and pads for both sides for £175 but these are non Nissan parts, saying that Nissan themselves don't make the brakes and disks and these would be just as good. Another dealer quoted £280 using genuine Nissan parts. Another one said Nissan used Blue Print parts but that seems to be just another part maker!

I certainly don't want to pay £400+ for this - has anyone had any experience with 3rd part disks & pads for the Leaf?
Any advice would be welcome as I'm well out of my depth here!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I'm not sure how cost effective disc skimming would be but my instinct is that they wouldn't exist if this was more expensive than simply fitting new discs. I am aware of 'Disc Skimming' from years ago which was quite common back then and these people seem to indicate that they can perform a clean up without removing them from the car. Worth a phone call to discuss?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Can you do it?
You can get the disks and pads and I would surprised if you would take more than 1,5hr each wheel including tea/coffee break.
Keep in mind that Nissan doesn't manufacture brake disk or pads so you are not doing anything different from them, you just don't have a nice box saying Nissan instead of Ferodo or some other brand.
Frequently you will have promotions so worthwhile to have a search.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The problem with skimming the disks is that you will have the car on bricks while you wait for the job to be done and they will heat up quicker and be prone to warping.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The problem with skimming the disks is that you will have the car on bricks while you wait for the job to be done and they will heat up quicker and be prone to warping.
But this problem was caused by lack of use - so overheating due to being a mm thinner is not an issue is it. And you will be missing the car for the same period whether replacing or skimming.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
But this problem was caused by lack of use - so overheating due to being a mm thinner is not an issue is it. And you will be missing the car for the same period whether replacing or skimming.
I don't know how long a skimming company will take but I would be lead to believe that if the business is still running is because they are busy so won't be just do it while you wait.
Having said that being mobile they probably will do it in 1 day :)

Any garage, if you can't do it yourself, will book you a day and the car will be ready by the end of the day the latest, a garage will take no longer than a couple hours doing it, keep in mind they have professional tools.
a random search:
£200 for Brembo 4 disks, or £130 for Eicher premium? Unless the skimmer does it far cheaper than that I can't see the point. But I make a lot more miles/yr than that ;)

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Can you do it?
I know one end of a spanner from the other but stay well away from any brake repairs myself. And would not recommend anyone to attempt a home drive change of discs and pads. Perfectly possible of course and certainly not rocket science but DIY on such critical items is not a great idea.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I know one end of a spanner from the other but stay well away from any brake repairs myself. And would not recommend anyone to attempt a home drive change of discs and pads. Perfectly possible of course and certainly not rocket science but DIY on such critical items is not a great idea.
Allow me to disagree.
I do all the brake system works on my motorbike and will do the same on my Leaf when time arise.
Changing brake disks and pads are not as daunting as you would think and doesn't require the level of expertise as other part will do.
Replacing disks and pads will involve:
Removal of the wheel,
Removal of the caliper
Pressing the pads in the caliper to increase the space when fitting new pads
Removal of pads and replace with new.
Removal of disk
Install new disk
Refit caliper making sure the pads are aligned with disk,
Test brake
refit wheel
repeat 3 times.

Tools to be used:
jack, optional to use a car stand if you have one.
wheel wrench
spanners
gloves
pliers (have it to hand just in case)
cross screwdriver

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just took the car to be serviced and apparently my front disks are "pitted" and I have to replace them and the pads.
Why do you have to replace any of them, did it fail the MOT?
Pitted discs are a common problem with low brake use drivers. This almost certainly an advisor issue and you are likely to have thousands more miles of driving without any trouble.

Lots of threads

Just ignor, review in 12m. Problem is many garages will assess and be happy to quote to do the work.
I would use Kwikfit locally as they have been reliable for me.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
If they havent failed the MOT then just brake harder for a week or two or a few long downhills in Nuetral and use the brake to slow down :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The service report should tell you the pad depth and if they are low, highly unlikely on an EV. If they were low should be replaced.
How long, years / miles have other LEAF owners managed on a set of discs / pads, have they ever needed to be replaced due to pad wear?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
All great points. Even if someone like Kwikfit confirms that pitting is at a problem point, which is unlikely, they could also advise on whether skimming or replacement is the correct solution. If either is needed then most likely new pads will also be needed as the old ones would be bedded in for the old discs.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Allow me to disagree.
I do all the brake system works on my motorbike and will do the same on my Leaf when time arise.
Changing brake disks and pads are not as daunting as you would think and doesn't require the level of expertise as other part will do.
Replacing disks and pads will involve:
Removal of the wheel,
Removal of the caliper
Pressing the pads in the caliper to increase the space when fitting new pads
Removal of pads and replace with new.
Removal of disk
Install new disk
Refit caliper making sure the pads are aligned with disk,
Test brake
refit wheel
repeat 3 times.

Tools to be used:
jack, optional to use a car stand if you have one.
wheel wrench
spanners
gloves
pliers (have it to hand just in case)
cross screwdriver
You missed off the coffee essential.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,673 Posts
Euro Car Parts sell discs for the leaf, they often have discounts running too, it's a really easy job for anyone with the right tools.

A bit of pitting shouldn't impair the brake efficiency, some discs are grooved and drilled, as long as there is enough meat on the pads and it passes the MOT I'd ignore it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
A bit of pitting shouldn't impair the brake efficiency, some discs are grooved and drilled, as long as there is enough meat on the pads and it passes the MOT I'd ignore it.
Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this, but pitting is quite different from grooves/drilling. When pitting gets bad the surface of the disc can fail and it effectively delaminates which can cause a significant reduction in efficiency / safety. Whether the discs in this case have reached that level I doubt. You should not rely on the MoT as meaning that the car is safe - at best it was at that point in time but may have deteriorated since.
I too enjoy the "can I avoid using my friction brakes" game and get a strange sense of satisfaction from completing a trip on regeneration only. Sadly modern brake discs corrode if left damp so you do need to use the friction brakes every few days to keep them in good condition.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this, but pitting is quite different from grooves/drilling. When pitting gets bad the surface of the disc can fail and it effectively delaminates which can cause a significant reduction in efficiency / safety.
Can you give some information about this, I can find no reference to accidents that are related to pitting of discs, especially on an EV where the majority of the braking is done by the power system using regeneration rather than disc braking. All I can find is opinion.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
How long, years / miles have other LEAF owners managed on a set of discs / pads, have they ever needed to be replaced due to pad wear?
For my 13Reg Leaf with 49,000 miles on the clock, at the last service Nissan recommended replacing the front disks and pads as the inner faces of the discs were showing corrosion and grooving, even though they admitted the pads were only half worn. After going down a steep hill twice in Neutral to give the brake pads some work to do, went to see my local mechanic who simply took the discs off, filed the ridges off the inner face with a flat file, and put them back. As I get him to arrange the MOT, I will get him to take a look before taking it for its next MOT (which is due before the next service).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts