Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked similar before, but this is more direct. Maybe we should/could make a list?

Any places folk have stayed that has EV charging that you would recommend to other EV drivers, hints and tips etc?

I'm currently looking!

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Heading to the Isle of Wight on Friday, hoping for a succesful story!

Reactions: L8url

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure about the New Forest and Dorset Paul,there are a few pubs dotted about with i think zcw chargers but i am sure there must be lots more.I travel to Ringwood twice a month and am still searching for some fast charging points as i am ony there for a few hours max, there are of course rapids at Rownhams service station but thats the last ones i know of on the M27.
This could be a really interesting thread as i would love to stretch the leaf a bit hence the Isle of Wight later in the year.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always think of New Forest, Bournemouth and the area as my second home... because it was both first and later second home for years growing up. Would love to be able to "pop down" in the LEAF without worry.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Always think of New Forest, Bournemouth and the area as my second home... because it was both first and later second home for years growing up. Would love to be able to "pop down" in the LEAF without worry.
It may sound obvious but have you checked the Zeronet website? There are quite a few ZCW charging points in the new forest/bournemouth area...

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Caravan and holiday parks are often good, but only if you can park by your caravan/chalet.

Most of them make a big point of free electricity, so take your EVSE to charge while you're there!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may sound obvious but have you checked the Zeronet website? There are quite a few ZCW charging points in the new forest/bournemouth area...
Yes but it was too random and long winded.

There's no way to see at a glance if I'm looking at a lodgings, a bar, a restaurant, a Twizy hire place... Then no indication of usage restrictions etc. :(

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I applied for and got an Ecotricity card that arrived today..AFAIK,the only charger I can use it on here would be the one at IKEA Belfast,right beside BHD,(George Best International) ..Just wondering if Ecar.ni offer their cards to EV tourists planning on visiting here in NornIron...The organisers of the Ecar roadshow I went to seemed keen to have visitors over to check out the network..And the cards offer access to the republic's charge network,too..I'm planning on checking out a few of the public chargers around the Donegal town/county area..There's Nice beaches along that Atlantic coastline!
Check out the Ecar.NI website for mapping and their page on FB for updates/comments on additions and issues..
(Edit) The Ecar site will accept applications for cards from visitors planning on coming over, and will post them out with a few (business) days lead time..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you considered the EV discounts offered by Caledonian MacBrayne Ferries ?

I fancy taking advantage of that later in the year but I'm not sure about the charging facilities on the various islands. Need to do some research.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes but it was too random and long winded.

There's no way to see at a glance if I'm looking at a lodgings, a bar, a restaurant, a Twizy hire place... Then no indication of usage restrictions etc. :(
Understood. That raises a good point and will look into categorising them so its easier to browse...

·
Registered
158 Posts
When we stayed at the youth hostel at Hadrian's wall (once brewed) there where plenty of charging stations around, with one at the car park next to the hostel.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
image.jpg
Stayed at an amazing place in N Yorks called Augill castle. They have 13amp 3 pin and commando charging courtesy of Zero Carbon World. They said they were excited to see me charging because I'm only the second in 4 years :-(.

What's even more upsetting is that after having it installed they offered a free night to the first person to charge.

The place isn't cheap but it's truly unique. Check out their site at http://www.stayinacastle.com/

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Irvinestown here in Fermanagh is Fisherman's central for the P&O Classic Angling tournament each year..Dunno if there have been EV drivers over for it yet,but my local public charger is in the town centre car park,and Enniskillen itself has 5 public ones,and the Belmore court motel installed one not long ago..The Fir Trees Hotel in Strabane has a Charger on site,as does the Mellon Country Inn (Rapid) between Strabane and Omagh..Donegal's "Wild Atlantic Way" stretch of coastline is served by chargers in Bundoran,Ballyshannon, Donegal Town#(Was U/S last time I checked-take a look at the ESB Ecars charge map for updates)..Derry/Londonderry has several chargers,and on around the Causeway coast towards Belfast are many others..the M1 across country is well provided .-The ESB Ecars initiative is encouraging owners to do a photo rally visiting tourism locations listed for all 32 Irish counties...A Dutch guy living in Cork has a Zoe and recently completed the list-He's on the Irish EV owners group on FB and I met up with him when he got to Enniskillen! The next week he was heading back to NL for a trip bringing Zoe..!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anything New Forest, Dorset / Hampshire area is of interest to me.
I have stayed at the Cottage Lodge in Brockenhurst twice. Found this place on the open charge map. They have a dedicated 13A charge point and also a Twizy on site thats available to hire. This place has fantastic service and has always been very accommodating for the car :)

http://cottagelodge.co.uk/

Stayed in the new forest for a week the second time and did a bit of driving around visiting different charging points.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts