Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having work done to the house which involves bringing power to my workshop/man-cave and the electrician has been briefed on the plan to install a home charger on the external wall of said man-cave. As a consequence he will install the following:

1x Breaker for board;
50 meters 10mm SWA;
4 Way consumer unit;
and 1x Isolator for future car charging point.

The main consumer unit is located at the front of the house which is approx 50m from the man-cave

Initial discussion with a provider supplying a Zappi seems to suggest that they will fit separate cabling commencing at the meter and ignore whatever electrical work intends to be done to the man-cave. To me, this seems like a duplication of cabling with the additional cost landing at my feet. Am I missing anything glaringly obvious here?
Would this approach of connecting at the meter apply to ALL home chargers?

Any relevant feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I had a zappi installed to replace an existing Rolec, all the existing wiring was used and only a cat 5 cable was added. The installer may want to ensure that the cabling for the charger is up to spec and the easiest way, probably, is for them to supply and instal it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I would run 16mm cable for the submain personally. Its a long run, and you might as well go big to ensure plenty scope for the future.

Split the tails and run the submain from a switchfuse, rather than a breaker from your existing board.

And no, theres no rule requiring the charger to be fed from the meter, so long as the submain is upto the job, it can perfectly happily be run from there. Find a different supplier would be my advice.

When i had my rolec fitted, i was doing some DIY in the period before, and while i had the ceiling down, i ran a 16mm cable from the meter cupboard up thru the house to the rear wall and terminated it into a Wika box. When the guys came to fit the charger i pointed them to my cable and told them to use it. They were delighted as it meant less work for them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Agree with Aragorn, just one point if your getting a isolator make sure the cable will be long enough to go to the chargers position so the isolator can be removed.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I would run 16mm cable for the submain personally. Its a long run, and you might as well go big to ensure plenty scope for the future.
Inclined to agree. 10mm is good for about 50A on that run according to tlc's calculator.
But 16mm is about £100 more for 50m, so it's not trivial.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd also personally (prob 2) cat5 cable with the mains, and a single mode fibre (maybe a MTP 8 core run (8 single mode fibres in a smaller than cat5 footprint). Cat5/6 = 4 pairs for signalling use + I guess. Why single mode, you can run near anything over it (with passive optmical mux waves, it's good for ~10 10g cables on a single single mode fibre), and it's pretty much already decided as the future (BT use it for > 10 year for FTTP deliveries before consumer FTTP even existed so it would allow you to extend that to your man cave). Whenever running cables take advantage, as it saves time later is my principle,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts