Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the heads up from @Colin, I'm going to take Nissan up on their offer of a 7 day test drive....although I'm not in the market to change my own car just yet.

My objectives are varied:
  • To see how it drives
  • To see how practical out of range journeys are - particularly with rapid charging
  • My mother is going to be changing her car soon and I'm trying to convince her of the merits of a BEV as she ONLY ever does short local journeys. Her annual mileage is so low that the Zoe lease tie-in is untenable; so the LEAF is the obvious choice.
I'm going to York Conference centre in September, from Nottingham (about 90 miles). I have the luxury of having time on the journey there and back, because I'm staying over. It's unlikely that I'll have any destination charging available (but I will ask).

I wonder if I could get some advice on charging. Woolley Edge would seem like an obvious mid way for each leg...but is Type 3 'rapid'? Is it risky relying on 1 charging point?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wetherby could be my back up then, although that's North of the exit for the A64.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use these all the time. Woolley Edge has chargers north & south & its easy to cross over if ones off-line. Then theres Ikea at Birstall with two fast chargers then wetherby has one charger not two. If you go via the A64 theres two type2 chargers at McArther Glen retail park and another 4 at Monks Cross retail park next to the admin block / John Lewis. So loads of chargers all over the area with Hartshead Moor due online by the end of October. If you need more info let me know or read my blog at www.stevenbarrettblog.wordpress.com

·
Registered
189 Posts
I stand corrected ! I was up there two weeks ago & there was just the one. Which makes me wonder why we have to wait so long to get something fitted at hartshead moor and birch services ?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the Nissan will therefore use the Chademo for rapid. Is it me worth taking the type 2 cable from my Ampera as a back up?

·
Super Moderator
7,531 Posts
Always worth taking all charging options you have on a long trip... :)
Yeah, you'd be gutted if you left one of your bits at home and caused yourself a loa of grief.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately the York Conference Centre doesn't have charging....but the York Sports Village on the same campus does. Unfortunately it's a CYC post and their app says that it's only available to RFID card holders and not via the app :(

·
Super Moderator
7,531 Posts
Unfortunately the York Conference Centre doesn't have charging....but the York Sports Village on the same campus does. Unfortunately it's a CYC post and their app says that it's only available to RFID card holders and not via the app :(
Are you a Plugged in Midlands customer? if so the CYC rfid card is only £10.

·
Super Moderator
7,531 Posts
Actually, from my email trail, I'm not sure if you even need to be a PIM customer, just in the PIM area which you should be in Notts.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far, I have ecotricity and polar/chargemaster RFID cards...and have downloaded the CYC app (and registered and paid the £1 credit card check).

Any other schemes that I can be considering without financial outlay?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see there are slow chargers at Waitrose York @Steven Barrett. Do you know of any parking restrictions? Is it a secure area? Does the charger still work out of store hours? Ta.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I see there are slow chargers at Waitrose York @Steven Barrett. Do you know of any parking restrictions? Is it a secure area? Does the charger still work out of store hours? Ta.
I'm pretty sure that this car park has a time restriction on it, and it's not secure.

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can borrow my cyc card if you like I'm in Notts too so can't be that far away from you.
That's really kind of you...however I've had a slight (forced) change of plan; despite HO confirming my test drive, the dealer didn't have one so I may be going in the Ampera....so only slow or fast options available to me.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have yet to visit the Waitrose site as I use Moto Wetheby - ecotricity then Monks Cross type 2 or McArthur Glen which is a slow or type 2 and good up to about 8pm although we discovered you can drive the wrong way into McArthur Glenn and charge all night if you get stuck ! All are ecotricity or CYC and I think they take Midland as well

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone knows what chargers it has? Open charge map says 2x 13 amp 3 pin whereas zap map says 1 x13 amp and one type 2 mennekes.

Suspect it's the former because the Polar site says 2 x 13 amp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts