Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New Leaf 30 owner here, thinking about my first long journey.

I live in Bristol, and am going to Wembley to watch an American football game, and then back to Bristol again the same day. According to Google, it's 115 miles each way. As the leaf seems to get ~110 miles from a full charge, I assume I'll have to charge both ways. My current plan is something like:

Bristol to Reading services, (70 miles mostly M4)
Rapid charge at Reading Services
Reading to Wembley (45 miles)
......parked for a few hours....
Wembley to Reading (45 miles)
Rapid change at Reading Services
Reading to Bristol (70 miles mostly M4)

Does this seem reasonable?

More specific questions:

- Can I do 2 rapid charges in the same day? I'm sure I saw a news story a while ago about Leaf owners complaining that they couldn't, or that the second one took much longer, or something...

- The rapid charge is described as '0 -> 80% in 30 mins'. Does it go above 80% if you leave it longer? I'll hopefully be starting with 20-30%, how does that affect it?

- Can anyone recommend somewhere slightly closer to London than Reading to reduce the 'middle leg' from 90 miles? I can see quite a few CHAdeMO points on ZapMap, but not knowing the area it's hard to know which would be best. Is it sensible to wait until I'm around Reading and get my passenger to find a working / available one from the Leaf's system, or a phone app?

- What do I need to charge? I understand that CHAdeMO points always have tethered cables, is that true?

- Presumably I have to register / make an account with the charging network before I can charge? Are there one or two I should register with beforehand? Are there any where you can just turn up and charge?

Oh yes, before someone tells me to charge during the game, I pre-booked my parking months ago (as it's a big event) when I didn't have an electric car. I don't think they have charging facilities, and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be enough to get me home, so I'd have to charge on the way back anyway....I think!

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes you can do more than 2 rapid charges a day. Charge speed will depend upon the battery temperature. Last week of August I drove to Sheffield from Romford and I did 4 charges a day driving often at 75MPH with outside temperature 33C

Check zapmap / plugshare. I would suggest a Polar Plus trial if it makes sense or download Polar Instant app and use that.. many rapids in and around london - should you need one.

CHADeMO is always tethered so no need to worry about cable. I always keep Type 2 to Type 1 cable in the boot as an emergency cable.

·
Registered
756 Posts
As you noted, rapid charging is fastest to 80%, above that it slows a lot. However you've got the fastest charging Leaf version yet made. Rapid at Slough Tesco PodPoint is a useful one, the fastest charging speed I ever saw on my leaf 24 was there.
Bear in mind the wind direction - heading home into a westerly wind you'll use more energy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can do Reading to London and back with no problem and have done Reading to Bristol without worry too. Started at 100% and not done at the same time, but car was loaded each time and didn't hang about so think you should be fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My rule of thumb in leaf 30 is 1 mile per 1 per cent. I split my journeys into 70-80 mile stints chargers permitting.Wind rain and speed will impact on this. I set speed limiter to 65 B mode no eco, take it steady, leave time for charging.
Polar plus are offering 3 month trial at moment so use this as they are a good network and have chargers just off motorway. Their card also works on CYC. I have used the holiday inn at slough which is just off M4. Always check in at reception to register your car as they will give you a fine for parking. Instavolt are also a good network and accept debit/credit card payment. Download zapmap app, polar app. Most chargers require an app but more are coming on line that are contactless.
Always have a back up plan or two.
My first long trip was Yorkshire to London using Electric highway on M1 a real baptism of fire. I did have a trial run using an EH charger local to me just so I knew what to expect. You should have a rapid charger local to yourself and suggest a practice run.
Regards number of charges the 30 will handle what you are planning with no issues. If you arrive at a Polar with 25% I have found you will get to approx 95% in 30-35 minutes time to register car, order coffee, pee and get out
Once you do a long trip you will wonder what all the fuss is about, enjoy your journey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice :) Since I first posted, I've ventured out of the 'Leaf' section here, and found A Better Route Planner, which seems like a splendid tool, though perhaps on the pessimistic side - I can't quite reconcile it's numbers with my own (simplistic) calculations....

Anyway, I'll go for plan A (as above, recharge around Reading in both directions) but if I need to top up somewhere on the 'middle' leg, then so be it. I will have a passenger armed with ZapMap to find me somewhere when I'm running low.

I'll definitely sign up for the free PolarPlus trial (am I right in thinking that lets me use the Charge Your Car network as well?) I might cancel when the 'free' period expires though, I don't make many long journeys, so instants might be better value in the long run. Are they OK about cancelling?

I'll sign up with Electric Highway and PodPoint too, and from what I've read, at InstaVolt and Shell I can just pay with a bank card (radical idea, wonder why they don't all work like that.....!) That seems like it should give me plenty of choice.

Practice run is a good idea, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Leaf 30 is the most forgiving among all Leaf models so far. With battery at normal temperature (5-6 bars), i have managed 14-95% in 30 mins and i have repeated this a few times. This doesn't work well on a hot day when battery is in red though

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I find A Better Route Planner to be pretty good. I find that for my driving style, it slightly underestimates consumption, for instance on a journey the other night, it suggested i'd arrive at the first charger with 56 and i arrived at 52, then the second stop it suggested 28 and i arrived at 23. Overall its generally within a few percent.
However that wasnt hanging around. I was driving at the speed limit where possible, heating on at a sensible level etc. IE using it like a normal car.

You can also input your actual battery level, so if your starting a journey at 63% you can input that and it plans accordingly, which is super handy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for all the advice :) Since I first posted, I've ventured out of the 'Leaf' section here, and found A Better Route Planner, which seems like a splendid tool, though perhaps on the pessimistic side - I can't quite reconcile it's numbers with my own (simplistic) calculations....

Anyway, I'll go for plan A (as above, recharge around Reading in both directions) but if I need to top up somewhere on the 'middle' leg, then so be it. I will have a passenger armed with ZapMap to find me somewhere when I'm running low.

I'll definitely sign up for the free PolarPlus trial (am I right in thinking that lets me use the Charge Your Car network as well?) I might cancel when the 'free' period expires though, I don't make many long journeys, so instants might be better value in the long run. Are they OK about cancelling?

I'll sign up with Electric Highway and PodPoint too, and from what I've read, at InstaVolt and Shell I can just pay with a bank card (radical idea, wonder why they don't all work like that.....!) That seems like it should give me plenty of choice.

Practice run is a good idea, thanks :)
Ian
Polar are very easy to cancel you just cancel online. You will need to set up direct debit etc to pay for charge amount for first three months then you will be paying monthly subscription plus any charging fees. (setup online) Card will take a couple of days to arrive.
We canceled our membership after 2 months with no issues received an email saying the direct debit mandate will be cancelled.
We are now using Polar Instant app which so far has worked very well. this used to be very flaky and you could not use rapid chargers. Since the BP takeover the network is open to everyone but there is a price differential between plus and instant, plus 15p a kWh instant 25p a kWh.
I did use the Plus card at a CYC rapid and was free cant say thats the case everywhere. CYC app is a bit flaky only used once and had to get a remote disconnect from helpline.
I tend to use google maps plotting my preferred stops with an alternative stop within a few miles.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm finding a Polar plus very economic- not because I do a lot of rapid charges, but because I use their free posts as much as possible! "Destination" charging is often the most convenient way. Last time was an ASDA at the seaside, free parking and free charging...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
SCanfer
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing