Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking the Leaf on my first longer range trip this weekend. Total distance is only 142 miles, nothing compared to the journeys many others have made but still a little nerve wracking for me, especially given the unreliability of Ecotricity's rapids of late.

Travelling from Fleet I'm blessed with a decent number of chargers on the M40 and M5 which gives me some options in case one or more are not working.

I've planned legs of about 60ish miles each but will need three recharges as there is no destination charging available so I'll need to arrive at the Hotel (Village Hotel Walsall) with enough charge to get back to my first rapid on the return leg.

Plan is to charge at Oxford, Cherwell Valley and Frankley with the same on the return leg. Fallback options being Warwick and Hopwood.

Will check status before I depart but does that seem sensible? Will have wife and daughter on-board so any disasters and I'll be getting they brunt of the complaints :cool:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Plan looks sound to me :) How exciting.

I know you said you will check before leaving but Frankley Southbound is currently down. It looks like it might not be too far to go to the next junction to get to the northbound and then back. There might be a crossover bridge but even if there is one it is down to the services manager to give you permission to use it so have a backup plan in case he got out of the bed the wrong side!!! I have never heard of them refusing but we have no right to use the access bridge (if it exists) so we need to tread carefullly when asking :)

Good luck :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, if it's still down I'll have plenty of range to get to Hopwood Park on the return leg, could even stretch to Warwick SB so that's OK. The most critical one is Oxford. That's 50miles from my start point with little scope for alternatives if I'm to continue. If that's out then I'd have to look at routing M4/A34/M40.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Darren - you have so many alternatives, there is no need for concern! There are 3 Rapids in the Reading area and one at Waitrose (Abingdon) that you haven't considered) + a nice one at the Chesford grange Hotel in Warwick!
There are so many Fast Chargers too on this route if you 'snacked' for a hour to improved you range that would not be a big imposition?
You will be surpassed how easy the whole long-range thing is!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Thanks Brian, good to know that the A34 is a good option if there are issues with the Oxford rapid.
If you are using the A34/M40 (with wife and daughter?) how comes you are allowed to pass the Bicester Outlet Mall?
Its only a Fast Charge - but its free! Beware though charging at outlet malls will ALWAYS blow the budget - I found it very expensive at York, 3 weeks ago! A night stop would be the lesser of the evils!

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just back from the jaunt. Journey was a breeze. On the outbound trip I charged at Oxford, Warwick and Frankley. As I arrived at Warwick there was a blue Leaf at the RC but he had just finished charging.

On the way back today, charged at Hopwood Park, Cherwell Valley, Peatree and Reading. Had originally planned to charge at Oxford M40 but on arrival there was a white Leaf on the RC and a red one queuing for it. Could have waited but it was such a lovely day, and we were in no particular hurry, we we diverted to Peartree and came home via the A34 instead.

Total miles was 368 with all but the initial charge being courtesy of Ecotricity. MrsG was impressed with how simple it all was and seemed to enjoy the opportunity to take regular breaks, stretch your legs, grab a coffee etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts