Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a planning application for a 8x150kW hub literally round the corner from me in Birchwood, Warrington:
Planning Application Details

It's at an existing BP service station with a Starbucks drivethru, about 5 minutes drive off the M62 at J11.

The planning application doesn't specify the operator but it specifies the "Raption 150" charger and a Google around suggests it may be an Osprey (ex Engenie) site since they did a deal to buy these recently?

·
Registered
290 Posts
That would be an excellent location for both motorways both of them are really busy with traffic (normally), well found.

Reactions: ianatkin

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It'll be Geniepoint. The plannning permission request was by Motor Fuel Group who operate the fuel station, and they have an agreement with ChargePoint Services (Genie):

It's the first time I have known them to be using Circontrol rapid chargers though, they typically have stuck with EVBox and DBT. Only networks I have seen installing Raption 150's so far is Chargeplace Scotland, Electric Blue and Swarco E.Connect.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to see the plans are for a canopy overhead to protect from the rain that can occasionally happen in the North West.
I'll have you know it's invariably dry and balmy in Warrington... ;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Brace yourselves for the prices as I can't imagine theyll be at the lower end of the scale 😥

It's a pretty good location to be fair, only downside is the traffic on a normal non covid day in the usual peak times is a nightmare and I'm not convinced the lights the dogbone/peanut roundabout have made much difference. The slip road heading into the westbound carriageway helps a lot and one coming off the same one towards the centre would have helped just as much in a morning

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not convinced by a canopy overhead, rain is usually horizonal in the North West.

Back to the chargers though, I can see this is a possible charge stop on the run up to see the parentals near Lytham, so useful. Always better to stop somewhere with multiple rapids to reduce the risks of arriving somewhere with no working charger.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
In theory, this is a convenient place for a hub where the M6 crosses the M62. But in practice, this BP garage is quite tricky to find by strangers coming from either the North or South on the M6. Arriving from the M62 is fairly easy. Then, after a fill, finding the way back to either motorway without backtracking to the leaving point to continue is not easy.

Of course, a SatNav will handle it but this entire area is notorious for becoming gridlocked at times and all approaches to this garage involves dozens of roundabouts and confusing lane changes where it's easy to become trapped in the wrong lane and cause chaos as you try to cross busy lanes to get back onto the nagging SatNav track. I avoid this Croft interchange and the Birchwood area like the plague and have developed a few rural rat-runs through various villages to circumvent this entire junction.

Having said that, this proposed hub will be very welcome but will mop up much time in approaching and leaving the site if on a motorway trip, on top of the actual time spent charging and drinking Starbuck coffee, before being back on the open road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts