Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have first edition eniro. Is it possible to play videos if the car is not moving. What app to you need to have on android auto?

Thanks

Dbran

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,267 Posts
Android Auto doesn't officially allow video playback for safety and legal reasons, whether you're moving or not.

There are apps that you can search for on Google for Android Auto (not just for the Kia, so broaden your search just for something along the lines of "Android Auto Video Playback") but these aren't official, nor are they recommended or even legal in some countries, since it will circumvent restrictions which are in place under law to stop someone from being able to watch a distracting video while driving.

·
Registered
281 Posts
But yet, you can have a movie on a usb stick and just play it that way. I read that someone found that it only supported certain formats

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,088 Posts
I can play videos in Soul EV 64kWh. But it is part of the infotainment system, in the Media. Simply, plug-in the USB and it picks it up and plays.

I'm not sure the eNiro FE has that capability. Just check your manual? Or put a few videos on a FAT32 formatted USB and stick it in. ;)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
348 Posts
Or put a few videos on a FAT32 formatted USB and stick it in. ;)
I'd love to give it a whirl but I can't find any way to download videos from Netflix / YouTube without putting dodgy software on my laptop which my work would take a dim view of.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,088 Posts
I'd love to give it a whirl but I can't find any way to download videos from Netflix / YouTube without putting dodgy software on my laptop which my work would take a dim view of.
I'm assuming you have a camera on your phone, tablet, etc? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just seems to have USB for music only. I tried playing videos through android auto and the best i got was just the sound only.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,088 Posts
It just seems to have USB for music only. I tried playing videos through android auto and the best i got was just the sound only.
If it only picks up the music files off the USB, probably only plays music. :(

But I thought that AA should be able to play videos when car is not moving? Maybe check further.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
348 Posts
I'm assuming you have a camera on your phone, tablet, etc? :rolleyes:
Yeah, but why would I want to watch a 2 minute video I shot myself on my phone - that's a gimmick that would hold my attention as long as fart mode would in a Tesla. ;) I want to watch a film while I am charging.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
427 Posts
Yeah, but why would I want to watch a 2 minute video I shot myself on my phone - that's a gimmick that would hold my attention as long as fart mode would in a Tesla. ;) I want to watch a film while I am charging.
I think what Todor meant was that you can shoot a video with your phone to then try if it plays on the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
553 Posts
Prompted by this thread, I’ve done a few tests. I got myself a decent compact flash USB stick first. I intend to leave it plugged into the car. (The ones I had looked numb sticking out so far and would be vulnerable to accidental damage etc.).....

So I tried a few different video file types most of which play fine in my 2020MY E-Niro.
Note, if you select D or R the screen is blanked but the sound continues (As it should do).
the following files all play fine....
.mv4
.avi
.mp4
.mpg

One oddity is my Garmin dashcam produced .mp4 files (Which play on my pc) will only play for 1 second then fail. Yet other sourced .mp4 files play fine.

If you just straight copy a raw DVD TS folder without some conversion, it is not recognised in the car.
There may well be other file formats which work, but these are what I tried so far.
I now have a few films and music concerts etc on the stick along with nearly 3000 mp3 sound tracks. Plenty of room to add much more. The mp3 Audio quality is noticeably better played from the USB stick rather than via Bluetooth or CarPlay streamed from the phone. The cars media management screens are also quite good once you understand the logic. I use shuffle play most of the time for my music playing.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
7,699 Posts
Yeah it plays MKV, but there’s some limitations with resolution and bitrate it seems. 720p tv shows and movies seem to work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a large selection of MKV files that I used to use on my I3 (coded to watch whilst moving), they all work on the MY20 but not found how to disable the safety lockouts that stop video whilst in gear yet.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
348 Posts
I have a large selection of MKV files that I used to use on my I3 (coded to watch whilst moving), they all work on the MY20 but not found how to disable the safety lockouts that stop video whilst in gear yet.
Why on earth would you want videos to be playing while you are driving?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,088 Posts
Yeah it plays MKV, but there’s some limitations with resolution and bitrate it seems. 720p tv shows and movies seem to work.
Yes, this.

I think the major limitation is resolution, 720p being the max. 1080p did not play on mine.

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
348 Posts
Hopefully for your passengers to enjoy?
Not in the front of the car, on the cars display screen, no. Not while the car is moving. Too distracting for the driver. If passengers want to watch a video, bring a tablet. Preferably sat in the back.

If driver had an accident and it transpired there was a film running on the central display at the time, I would expect charges to be forthcoming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts