Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could Rapid chargers be programmed to cut-off a charge at a minimum power, say 8kW? All the rapid chargers seem to advertise charge times from 20% - 80% anyway.

Too often we have been blocked by cars waiting 30minutes to get from 97% to 100%, or a PHEV sipping 3.3kW for hours (or even overnight), when there is a perfectly good AC post just down the road.

Rant not over......

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,246 Posts
Some of them can be programmed to do this or similar for example enforcing a 3-phase only policy yes, but with a few problems:
-Few charger manufactuters allow these restrictions on AC as it more or less bypasses all the equipment in the charger unit, and that is the problem connector that gets misused by PHEVs.
-Because charge rates tend to ramp up after plugging in, such a limit would have to be put in place after lets say 1-2 minutes of plugging in. The majority of the inconsiderate users I have seen tend to plug in and disappear for a long time straight after.
-Not a problem with Chademo as long as there is more than 1 charging bay, but with CCS and Type 2 AC, the charging connector is locked by the vehicle, not the charger. If said person has walked away the charger is even more useless as not only is the dick who plugged in to a rapid to charge at 3kW now not taking any power at all, but neither can anybody else asthe connector is now locked in until they return.

This is typically why you are seeing many chargepoint operators now installing units that simply don't have an AC connector, and those that do are socketed to deter the lazy PHEV drivers from having to get their own cable out (not that many actually own cables since BMW's plug in cars for example only come with a granny lead included, which is also a reason why many don't use AC posts and rather hog rapid chargers.)

Shorter time limits and stricter overstay fees are realistically going to be the best you'll see anytime soon, and even then there are plenty of networks who simply don't want to know.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Simply have a minimum pence per minute connected charge in the charging tariff, so that they will pay for their mistake - and hopefully not do it again.

Reactions: cDy

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is a problem that with the CCS system it’s the car that locks itself to the rapid charger at the end of a timed session or when 100% is reached. The protocol allows charger owner to collect excess charges for overstaying until owner returns and unplugs a great money maker.
It has no role in today’s society apart from making money. CCS was designed by car and charger manufactures with no consideration for people waiting to use a machines.

Chademo is unlocked by charger at end of timed session or 100% charge. This allows anyone waiting to get a charge started. This allows more electric to be available to more customers.

We need to campaign to the EU to force the car makers to change the way the car and charger communicate so lead is unlocked at end of timed session or on reaching a European wide agreed 80% or 100%,

No consumer consultation was made when CCS was rolled out by the EU car manufacturers. They need to change the protocol at their own expense. This was a cheap compromise modifying type 2 socket that car locked to secure users own cable.

My need government intervention across Europe to solve this stupid fault.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It is a problem that with the CCS system it’s the car that locks itself to the rapid charger at the end of a timed session or when 100% is reached. The protocol allows charger owner to collect excess charges for overstaying until owner returns and unplugs a great money maker.
It has no role in today’s society apart from making money. CCS was designed by car and charger manufactures with no consideration for people waiting to use a machines.

Chademo is unlocked by charger at end of timed session or 100% charge. This allows anyone waiting to get a charge started. This allows more electric to be available to more customers.

We need to campaign to the EU to force the car makers to change the way the car and charger communicate so lead is unlocked at end of timed session or on reaching a European wide agreed 80% or 100%,

No consumer consultation was made when CCS was rolled out by the EU car manufacturers. They need to change the protocol at their own expense. This was a cheap compromise modifying type 2 socket that car locked to secure users own cable.

My need government intervention across Europe to solve this stupid fault.
Basically CHADEMO superior in every way.

The CCS is botch German American effort.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
Chademo is unlocked by charger at end of timed session or 100% charge.
And sadly allows another user to unlock it by hitting the Emergency Stop button.

Simply have a minimum pence per minute connected charge in the charging tariff, so that they will pay for their mistake - and hopefully not do it again.
The difficulty is making this painful enough without hurting the likes of a LEAF24 owner which takes 40 minutes to charge 20-80% whilst hurting the anti-social PHEV owner. A LEAF24 owner is buying around 12kWh at a cost of around £4, or 10p/minute. Most PHEV owners overstaying for 15 minutes probably wouldn't notice the additional £1.50 cost on their £3.00 top up, although they would if they left it overnight at a penalty of £72.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ioniq seems to release the cable often when the CCS charge finishes, but not always. Charging on 7kW the lead, frequently your own, remains fixed.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ioniq seems to release the cable often when the CCS charge finishes, but not always. Charging on 7kW the lead, frequently your own, remains fixed.
Its a setting you can choose to enable/disable isn't it? I'm sure I remember seeing the option somewhere. If it was forced to unlock when finished charging on CCS, since it auto stops itself at around 94% from memory it would be as good as Chademo meaning nobody sitting for ages trying to get the last few percent very slowly, and that someone else could unplug and start charging their car even if the owner isn't there to move straight away.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
PHEV owners will use a rapid because they did not buy or were not supplied with a public charging cable.
It's all well and fine releasing a cable once a car has dropped to a certain charge rate but you may not be physically able to have the cable reach your car due to other cars legitimately parked in any adjacent spaces.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think this is mostly an education issue.
Besides you're going to have Leaf users with degraded or RapidGated batteries that might be subject to this.
Tesla limit the charging to 80% or 90% at busy SuCs, this could also be implemented over CCS as the charging stations can read battery SOC.

·
Super Moderator
12,181 Posts
Too often we have been blocked by cars waiting 30minutes to get from 97% to 100%, or a PHEV sipping 3.3kW for hours (or even overnight),
An overstay tariff is better. Overstay fees discourage hogging but still alow 22kW Zoes or BEVs with CCS problems to get a charge.

Polar and Engie charge £10 after the first 90 minutes. GeniePoint charge £10 after 95 minutes.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
Still ineffective up until the 90 minutes. So my LEAF24 reaches 80% from empty in 45 minutes, meaning that I can crawl on towards 100% for another 45 minutes. Likewise Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs.

·
Super Moderator
12,181 Posts
From my experience a LEAF 24 or 30 will get to 100% on a rapid in about an hour. So does my 94Ah i3.

With the short range cars, sometimes we really do need nearly 100%.

You'll have to ask Outlander owners, but I'd be surprised if they were still charging after 70 minutes.

The real solution is more charge points.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You'll have to ask Outlander owners, but I'd be surprised if they were still charging after 70 minutes.
I don't own one but have had the misfortune of working with them before. They are more or less the same as the i-MiEV and family. ~25kW until 80% then auto stops charging at that point. You can then disconnect and re-start the charging but then you'll charge at somewhere around 5kW, gradually getting slower and slower. If you're trying to get it all the way to 100% you could definitely spend well over a hour there.

The real solution is more charge points.
Yeah, but that would be way too simple. A recent consultation in my area basically concluded with using inaccurate average usage figures (They included a number of CYC Charging units that have been either decomissioned or simply broken and awaiting repair for months on end) and explaining that an average of 5 or 6 charging sessions per day leaves plenty of charging capacity. Totally ignoring the fact that every time I am plugged in to a rapid charger there will always be one or two other EVs that will drive in and leave because its in use. They are just an ignored statistic because they didn't actually plug in there. And of course the fact that demand will continue to rise over time while the poor maintentance and availability of the current old chargers will fall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts