Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am receiving my first Tesla in 2 weeks. Does the Tesla require paint protection (I live in Florida near the coast)? If so, what types of paint protection are there, and any suggestions

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I watch a lot of wham bam teslacam videos on YouTube. They often mention paint protection film.
It's usually covered by insurance if there's a bump or smash but it might be a factory option rather than retro fit.

Speak to the dealer to see what options they give you and if you consider the cost worthwhile.

Gaz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, don't worry about it. Treat it as you would any other car in that regard.
I watch a lot of wham bam teslacam videos on YouTube. They often mention paint protection film.
It's usually covered by insurance if there's a bump or smash but it might be a factory option rather than retro fit.

Speak to the dealer to see what options they give you and if you consider the cost worthwhile.

Gaz
There is no factory option for it. They also could not provide any recommendations about whether or not to do anything.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
There is no factory option for it. They also could not provide any recommendations about whether or not to do anything.
As I said a lot of smashed up teslas on the videos get repaired and they often mention paint protection film.
I think it helps with stonechips, protects from minor scratches and might be a protection from UV. If its sunny enough to fade your paint and you drive where stone chips might occur it might be worth considering but if its not a factory option then it makes it easier for you.

Other than that there are ceramic shampoos and stuff which you can have applied by a good detailer. Again I would do a search for YouTube videos that mention paint protection there are a lot of good detailers in the states and the info from the videos will give you some good choices.
Good luck with the car.

Gaz

·
Registered
579 Posts
The paint on the M3 is quite soft, my MIC car is already showing signs of wear; particularly on the sills in front of the rear wheels. Given my time again I'd have had the lower sills PPF protected but probably not the whole car given the cost. I guess it depends on how particular you are about the car's appearance long term, your colour choice ( dark colours are worse) and how much money you are willing to throw at it. Useful video here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts