Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the frustration of lower charge than you need to get you home. So why oh why do some EV owners see charging bays as reserved spaces for EV owners. Yesterday at 5% after a long journey I got to 22Kw chargers at Aldi to find two EV in the only two charging bays, ON AN ALMOST EMPTY CAR PARK, just parked up no connection to either car. I asked someone if the car was theirs and was told that one driver had just gone into a nearby restaurant. I waited 15 mins to see if, while stupid, the driver was just dropping off. No return! I went to the restaurant and he had already left. Waited 15 more mins still no sign. Fortunately a nearby pay charger had become free and I just made it.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
We all know the frustration of lower charge than you need to get you home. So why oh why do some EV owners see charging bays as reserved spaces for EV owners. Yesterday at 5% after a long journey I got to 22Kw chargers at Aldi to find two EV in the only two charging bays, ON AN ALMOST EMPTY CAR PARK, just parked up no connection to either car. I asked someone if the car was theirs and was told that one driver had just gone into a nearby restaurant. I waited 15 mins to see if, while stupid, the driver was just dropping off. No return! I went to the restaurant and he had already left. Waited 15 more mins still no sign. Fortunately a nearby pay charger had become free and I just made it.

You can always take a photo and post it on this site: https://yplac.co.uk/

Might get a reaction if enough people use that site, or copy links of EV drivers behaving badly from it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,639 Posts
Do the cables not release when they’re finished charging?

Of course these are destination chargers…

·
Registered
574 Posts
We all know the frustration of lower charge than you need to get you home. So why oh why do some EV owners see charging bays as reserved spaces for EV owners.
I don't know. But I wonder what proportion of EVs found in EV charging spaces and not charging, are drivers which parked up intending to charge, tried to charge and failed for some reason and decide to just leave the vehicle there, rather than move the car to another spot in the car park.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Parked in an EV space but without being hooked up to the charger is the same as an ICE parked there, or a non-entitled person parking in a blue badge or parent and child space. It should be a straight fine (or PCN I suppose).

Ethically it’s probably worse than ICEing because they knew what the spaces are so no excuses at all.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
No sign of any cables at all. They were simply parked.

Sadly there are some that treat EV charging spaces as EV parking spaces. Used to happen all the time when the Wiltshire Council destination chargers were still working, so much so that I don't think I've ever seen a car plugged into one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can always take a photo and post it on this site: https://yplac.co.uk/
Looking at some of the bad parking on there, I expect the owners will be straddling two spaces so they don't get anyone next to them who would ding their door. I've seen cars parked like that many times.

The red leaf on that site made me lol. Straddling two bays at one of the new Gridserve chargers and not plugged in. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
Does the Highway Code now include a section on parking relevant to EVs and who is allowed to park in an EV bay?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
I think you’re probably preaching to the converted on here.

The least frustrating option is just to assume there’s no such thing as free chargers and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Was it an Audi by any chance?
Or any other German manufacturer, for that matter.
They certainly seem to attract a certain level of self entitled drivers IMHO.

Sod playing nicely, there'd be a curt note on the windscreen as a minimum and four flat tyres if I thought they were taking the p***!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I suspect the miscreants were too tight to pay for parking elsewhere. I doubt you're allowed to park at Aldi without shopping there, but what a handy excuse if you're an EV?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could chargers not be working perhaps? I've gone into a supermarket ev bay before and the charger was faulty. I moved the car to be closer to the entrance (lazy) but someone less lazy may have just left the car there.

·
Registered
Blue BMW i3s 94ah 2018
65 Posts
A hundred years ago, it might have been acceptable to leave your Model T by the fuel pump while you nipped across the road to the tearoom. Some time shortly after that another vehicle arrives and needs access. People got themselves sorted out quickly and etiquette and acceptable behaviour was eastablished.

As a newbie reading posts it sounds like we are just getting into the latter stages of most people accepting what's expected of them. But not universally, some hogging 'the pumps', blocking access, wandering away from rapid chargers, ICEing, etc.. There are always some late adopters, or perhaps simply thoughtless antisocial d'ckheads around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could chargers not be working perhaps? I've gone into a supermarket ev bay before and the charger was faulty. I moved the car to be closer to the entrance (lazy) but someone less lazy may have just left the car there.
A thought but unlikely as there was a comment if a successful charge shortly before

1 - 20 of 43 Posts